Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

I re-installed Windows 10 onto a new SSD and am having a few issues with Booting into Windows.

- I now have my old and new HDD's still in the machine with windows still installed on both, which seems to be confusing the boot sequence and either loops seemingly rebooting or tells me I need to repair.

The only way I can get around this is by disabling all boot options, and manually selecting the Windwos Boot manager in BIOS to boot from (which is located on the old HDD).

So, my question is - because the MBR appears to be on the old HDD if I format the old HDD completely will it ruin my ability to boot into the new OS or will the new SSD just default onto it's own Boot manager?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Rexxed posted:

In this case I'd try https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ free version first. It will let you look at where your bootloader is and what entries it has as well as change them. I have a Windows 7 and 10 dual boot on my laptop and initially windows 10 ate the bootloader of 7 when I first installed it. If the bootloader is on the disk you want it to be on, unplug the other disk and boot up to simulate what formatting it will be like. If things are fine with it unplugged, you can wipe it or just set the disk you want to be the bootdisk with EasyBCD. With my setup I have it boot Windows 7 by default but I added a 10 second delay so I can pick Windows 10 if I want to.

Thanks Rexxed, perfect!