Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Party Boat posted:

For anyone who's wondering, I switched GPUs briefly in my W10 machine the other day (testing a part) and it didn't see this as a significant enough hardware change to invalidate my install. They were both AMD Radeon cards though and I don't know how ruthless it is with hardware IDs.

I'm doing a for reals upgrade to a 960 in a few weeks so fingers crossed it'll be fine with that. Has anyone been through the license transfer process yet? I never did it on W7 despite a full rebuild, I just dismissed all the notifications and after a week or so of no sign-ins from my old machine it automatically transferred over.

Motherboards are usually the big thing that cause deactivation. Many times you change out the CPU as well and at that point you might as well consider it a completely different computer anyway.

Changing one piece of anything else is usually not enough to trip the deactivation. Just be careful with mass replacements/removals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Is Threshold 2 still a thing? Last I heard they were planning on October for that, and it was going to be mostly fixes and optimizations.

Fake edit: actually the name may have changed already and the date is more like November http://m.windowscentral.com/first-major-windows-10-feature-update-reportedly-delayed-november

Since the new Fast track release is called th2 when it's being downloaded in Update, I'd say yes it is still a thing.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Tunga posted:

I signed up ages ago but never actually ended up installing it. When I log in now I see this page:

The box on the right links to the same thing that you posted above and says "If you are installing the operating system for the first time, you will need your Windows product key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx)." which I obviously don't have. Is that wrong? What would I enter during installation? Or does it just ask for my email and figure out that I'm in the Insider program?

All Windows 10 insider and free upgrade installs use the same key. You can find it somewhere in this thread if you don't see it on the insider site and if it asks you during install. It didn't ask me when I installed it, but I think that was before they had any of the activation stuff for 10 in.

Even if you end up with a non-genuine Windows 10 RTM build, you should be able to activate the fast ring insider builds. At the very least you'll be able to do this during the normal initial 30 day trial. Each insider build has its own expiration date so you can theoretically perpetually keep installing them as the become available.

My source: http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Why aren't you connected to a domain? The update doesn't run if you are.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Do you? It's always been an option for me.

Did you use some of the insider builds before 10240? It's always been an option for me as well, but apparently it actually isn't there for people who upgraded from 7/8/8.1 to the RTM build.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Zero Gravitas posted:

Well this is why I ask - I think it should be the case that the new machine would simply boot straight from the original HD its had all of its (incredibly) short life, assigning it as the master and the new (old) HD that appears should simply be designated the slave disk, right? The new machine will be the first multiple disk machine I've built so the first time I've had to worry about this stuff.

Your BIOS decides which disk gets booted. If you boot the old disk, you get the old bootloader with the old Windows install.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

When I manually turn off a monitor, Windows doesn't detect that it's off, but it'll still try to display things in that desktop space. This occurs over DVI and HDMI but not DisplayPort. It's annoying because when I get into bed and want to watch something, I'll turn off the secondary since I'm not using it, and I don't want to deal with having to drag windows from the off monitor to the on monitor.

I want to say this started happening when I upgraded from Win 8.1. Thoughts?

This is always how Windows has handled DVI and HDMI connections by default. Straight DP to DP connections are the only ones that will disconnect the monitor on power off. (so using a DVI/DP adapter will also keep windows from disconnecting the monitor) DisplayPort actually communicates commands between your computer and your monitor, so your monitor is able to tell the computer "hey, I turned off." DVI and HDMI have no such data communication as far as I'm aware. They can only check if they are actually connected to a powered monitor. You'd have to disconnect the power cord or the video cable in the back to disconnect the monitor.

If it worked on an older install of Windows I can only assume you enabled some weird option, or were using some other piece of software to accomplish this.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

Is there a listing of major applications that aren't supported with Windows 10?

As in, for example WebEx doesn't support Windows 10 which holding me back given I've got to use this with work stuff.

"Doesn't support" as in "we haven't specifically tested this OS"? My product manager has a Surface Pro 3 w/Windows 10 that seems to work fine with WebEx for calling in and screen sharing. Is there something in particular that doesn't work?

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

How the hell are you starting the app?

I can ask him tomorrow maybe and see if he is doing anything special, but I'm pretty sure he's doing the exact same things as when he had a laptop with Windows 7 and everything works fine for him.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Keep in mind if you do one of the Windows upgrades with sandboxie installed, you'll have to uninstall and then reinstall sandboxie. You'll get an error on every login otherwise. Don't know if it actually affects sandboxie itself though.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

cycleback posted:

Do you mean just standard Windows updates require sandboxie to be uninstalled and then reinstalled? That sounds like a pain.

No, upgrades. Like 7->10, 8->10, the November update for Windows 10, the upcoming Redstone update, or all of the insider build installs.

Anybody else having an issue with the latest insider build freezing after 10 minutes? Is this something I can solve by going into recovery options, and how do I get to them? I'm not used to getting to the recovery mode during boot.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Jan posted:

Out of nowhere, I booted my Win 10 computer and some processes never started/worked properly. (Task Manager wouldn't show, Chrome failed to load pages, Windows Defender wouldn't open.) All of these worked in Safe Mode. I tried SFC /scannow, MalwareBytes, reinstalled some drivers, to no avail. So I just shrugged and did a Windows Reset, which was fairly painless last time I did it.

Except this time, it decided to nuke my Program Files folder along with Windows proper. I've been reinstalling what few programs I have that live there, but I'm not sure what changed since the last reset I did? Did I overlook an option beyond "Keep my files" in the reset screen?

A reset should delete everything. A refresh should only reinstall Windows. You probably wanted the latter.

At least this was the case in Windows 8/8.1

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

clockworkjoe posted:

There's no option to disable the Controller or Root Hub. I can try to uninstall it but that's it.

Right-click > Properties > Drivers tab

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

GreatGreen posted:

I tried that and it doesn't work. Windows detects the shortcut and circumvents it, linking the actual folder again instead.

So am I wrong or did Microsoft actually think of how people might customize this list and actively spend energy loving them out of it?

You could give using junction links a try: http://superuser.com/a/971232

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Make sure it isn't minimizing when you alt-tab from it. Most of the apps I use will mute or pause when minimized but work fine while doing stuff otherwise.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

hooah posted:

By checking my MS account you mean going to account.microsoft.com? I do see both of my computers there, does that mean I have digital entitlements (or whatever they're called now)?

Check in the settings app:

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Most sane people will just use a password manager like keepass or 1password if they don't want to remember more than one password ever.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Morter posted:

Wait, what's a load?

Also I just mean to turn off the computer when I'm going to bed, once a night. Otherwise I'm more or less glued to this thing.

I would never want to run a HDD all the time, just a bunch of unnecessary wear and tear on it. On the other hand I'd rather just leave an SSD run all the time. I don't think there's too much issue with turning your computer on and off, though I'm not sure how the fast boot and kernel stuff works. If it saves poo poo to your drive for the faster boot, that is unnecessary wear on an SSD and should probably be avoided.

Overall probably not something to be too worried about to be honest.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Yes.
1) Your hardware fingerprint is already available to Microsoft and will be matched when you go to activate.
2) Technically it is still possible to upgrade for free with just a key currently.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I know that if you hit print screen it will save a screenshot. You're not accidentally hitting that key? Maybe the take screenshot option in the Xbox app might have something to do with it as well.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
E: new page, whoops

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Biodome posted:

I use EDGE and sometimes when I'm browsing the forums, the page will refuse to scroll. Keyboard doesn't work, using the scroll bar doesn't work. The only thing I could do to be able to move the page down is click the mouse wheel and pull the mouse down but now that has stopped working too. It's on a per tab basis too so if I switch to another tab, it'll scroll fine but that particular tab doesn't scroll. The links on the frozen page are still clickable, it just doesn't let me scroll.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Seems to happen more often on pages with lots of posts.

I wonder if it might be the same issue that is affecting some Chrome users, especially if it is only on the forums. AFAIK nobody has actually figured out what is causing it yet? Rogue ad would be my first guess, but nothing more than a guess.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Saukkis posted:

Or you are running as a non-admin user.

As if anyone who disables UAC is going to do that.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ratbert90 posted:

He's right though.

I'd almost empty quote this

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Last time I used Windows 10's default video application, I remember subtitles looking awful, and maybe even different audio tracks being annoying to switch between. I'll stick with MPC, but a codec pack is never coming close to being installed on my system.

It's also very possible that the default video app has changed since RTM and isn't as bad, but I'm not going to be finding that out any time soon.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

baka kaba posted:

You have to draw the line at some point, I'm saying it shouldn't be interrupting basic use cases like streaming a TV show or running a large download, unless it's a dire emergency. It's not my job to work out the ideal policy, they just need to make it less user-hostile. If you're trying to do something not even slightly unusual and your computer interrupts it (or becomes outright unusable because of a long update) then that's a Bad Thing, and they should be avoiding that

I run Twitch steams and YouTube videos on my computer almost literally 24/7. At what point should Windows decide to update?

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

biznatchio posted:

In about seven days or so when you die from lack of sleep.

Okay, my computer runs them 24/7. I sleep while my computer is running them during night time hours. When should my Windows decide to update if it follows baka kaba's suggestion.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

hooah posted:

Why can't you just put your computer to sleep when you go to bed? Why does it have to be running so much?

I think we're confused here. I'm fine with the current system of random reboots while I'm sleeping. I'm just saying that the idea baka kaba brought up would mean my computer would never get updated.

But, I run the videos on my computer just as background noise most of the time and sometimes watch them if something catches my interest. I'd do the same thing with cable TV if I had that.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Hahahaha I can't believe this general use computer configured to execute arbitrary code has to reboot occasionally unlike a television!!

I can. I like it.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Motherfucker! My start menu broke on the Fall update. The gently caress is this still happening?!

Yeah, this happens on exactly one of my computers and not my primary laptop or desktop. I don't understand what the issue is.

Twibbit posted:

this may sound weird, but try defragging the C drive and rebooting. somehow that worked for me. Or it was just an odd coincidence. Coincidence is more likely but hey it is worth a shot?

All my computers have an SSD boot device. I'm not going to run a defrag on it.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Don't think that's my issue then? This has been happening for months.

I'll go ahead and run it again, but I'm not expecting any results.

Unless it's supposed to run on System Reserved, or this other volume in the list with a UUID, in which case it just doesn't run on those even if I try to make it

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Can confirm my desktop used to get stuck at 100% disk usage on a 7200RPM drive and Windows 8. I still don't know what caused it because my disk died shortly after it started happening which could possibly be related. After that I bought an SSD and haven't even concerned myself with the thought of it.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Flipperwaldt posted:

There isn't necessarily a difference between these two anymore. A manufacturer certainly can set things up so the reset - delete everything option puts back all the crap it came with out of the factory.

There are two resets.

Top one is the one that should restore even the crap. Second one should be a completely clean version.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Eletriarnation posted:

Apologies for continuing the "derail" (how is it a derail to discuss the Start Menu in the Windows thread?) and especially if I'm misunderstanding you, but I can definitely type in part of the name of a shortcut in my Start menu and get an autocomplete. I even tried it just now to make sure. It sounds like this particular breakage you're experiencing might be more particular than just Windows 10.

I think the key phrase is "multiple words"

Notice how the actual application doesn't show up, but a bunch of files and folders with the same name do when I try to use parts of more than one word to search. That'd be annoying if I wanted to launch the pokemon showdown application instead of the trading card game one.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

cat doter posted:

I didn't install drivers for this thing and I've never used it until a couple days ago, I dunno what to tell you man.

Someone at some point installed 3rd-party drivers. I even plugged my DS3 into my computer with a clean install of 1803 just now just to be sure. Even applications that can see the controller do not receive any input from any of the buttons.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

cat doter posted:

If that's the case I would love to track down these drivers and delete them, but I can't seem to find them, I can't find them in the device manager list, it's not hidden either.

I'm not too familiar with DS3 driver installation. Maybe this will work: https://github.com/nefarius/ScpToolkit/wiki/Manual-driver-removal

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

The main reason the Program Files thing got better is that MS added a feature where attempted writes by non-elevated programs to be redirected to a folder in user/appdata. IIRC that was in 7? Anyways that's why is doesn't pop a UAC anymore.

Is this documented? I was pretty sure this was just how developers implement a workaround if something ends up in an unwritable location. Writing directly to Program Files without proper permissions should just fail, and in my experience does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/technet-magazine/cc138019(v=msdn.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN posted:

Windows Vista enables these legacy applications to run in standard user accounts through the help of file system and registry namespace virtualization. When an application modifies a system-global location in the file system or registry and that operation fails because access is denied, Windows redirects the operation to a per-user area; when the application reads from a system-global location, Windows first checks for data in the per-user area and, if none is present, permits the read attempt from the global location.

For the purposes of this virtualization, Windows Vista treats a process as legacy if it’s 32-bit (versus 64-bit), is not running with administrative rights, and does not have a manifest file indicating that it was written for Windows Vista. Any operations not originating from a process classified as legacy according to this definition, including network file sharing accesses, are not virtualized.

[...]

The file system locations that are virtualized for legacy processes are %ProgramFiles%, %ProgramData%, and %SystemRoot%, excluding some specific subdirectories. However, any file with an executable extension, including .exe, .bat, .scr, .vbs, and others, is excluded from virtualization. This means that programs that update themselves from a standard user account fail instead of creating private versions of their executables that aren’t visible to an administrator running a global updater.

[...]

Modifications to virtualized directories by legacy processes redirect to the user’s virtual root directory, %LocalAppData%\VirtualStore. For example, if a virtualized process that is running on my system creates C:\Windows\Application.ini, the file that it actually creates is C:\Users\Markruss\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows\Application.ini.

That's a pretty limited subset of applications. It was also already present in Vista and not added later. Did they expand the definition of a legacy application later on? With this definition I'm not sure how many you would even run into these days outside of very specific business needs or running ancient software.