Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Set the Windows Firewall to active, Allow All. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

wormil posted:

My app store hasn't worked in months, apps don't work either, and other stuff like file search, the start menu, icons, just stop and start working at random. Apps don't even show up properly on the menu. Is there some kind of fix for this stuff? A reliable guide? I googled and tried some things but it hosed poo poo up really bad and I had to do a system restore.

For me I nuked my profile and created a new one. Not ideal but it worked. I've opened a case about this with MS a while ago, I'll let you know how it goes.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

New question time:

If I use the media creation tool for Windows 10, will it give me the latest released build?

Yes

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

slidebite posted:

Is there word yet on an official or unofficial tool to stop automatic downloads and installs of ~whatever~ MS wants you to have? That's probably the biggest single reason why I haven't updated any of my boxes/laptops yet.

are you running Pro? you could run the Current Branch for Business and skip out on all the feature packs, just get security upgrades

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Maybe seven years ago. Nowadays the only reason you'd run 32-bit is if you wanted to run 16-bit applications.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

slidebite posted:

3) For the whole update process, I have a laptop which I use on the road a lot (business) so I am in hotels several nights a month. Most hotels I stay in are not metered connections, however they are generally lovely connections. I do browse the net a lot at nights, sometimes do teleconference or game as well. Having a 500MB update going on in the background on a crappy borderline dialup speed connection for something I don't even need is not going to help matters. Is it possible to make updates only happen on "HOME" networks or will it try to download them regardless? I don't want to have to make a point of always asking my hotel at check in what their internet policy/connection is like in case my laptop decides it's time to download a fat update for the next incarnation of Windows games or whatever the hell it thinks I need. I would also rather not need to remember to make every new internet connection a metered/limited connection because sometimes it might be a good unmetered fat pipe and I wouldn't really mind.

You can set the WiFi network at the hotel as a 'metered' connection, which'll stop the automatic updates at least.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Factor Mystic posted:

Did you ever get an update on this Jeoh? I just did an in-place reinstall and it's all still busted. The one thing it fixed was the app names in the start menu now show up (rather than resource id's or w/e) but they still don't actually work.

Nope, they're basically saying the same thing: Recreate the profile.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Spacebar?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

wbadmin should also still be included, you could make it a scheduled task.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Or systeminfo, if you really want to know what updates you've installed.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It keeps your files, not your apps.

E: oh hey a new page

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Botnit posted:

That works but I'd rather it be included in the alt+tabbing preview like it was so that I can preview my desktop without actually going to it.

Hover over the bottom-right corner of your screen.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

By checking 'automatically install recommended upgrades' you've already said yes beforehand.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I've used EaseUS to do this in the past, which has a nice Copy OS button.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Phoenixan posted:

You'll want to finalize your hardware soon, because as far as I know, Win 7 retail doesn't convert to Win 10 retail. Once you're done with your new build you'll have to go Win 7 -> Win 10 again.

Win 7 retail converts to Win 10 retail just fine. As long as it's done before July 29th. You don't even need to 'upgrade' from Windows 7, you can directly enter the key into Windows 10 and it'll work. That's what I did for my current build.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Apparently if you use the accessibility tools in Windows 7 you'll still be able to upgrade for free. Good news for gramps!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sion posted:

I'm trying to upgrade to Windows 10 from 7 and the Windows Update window has been stuck on 'Preparing for the Upgrade please wait' with the useless green constantly scrolling progress bar for 2 hours now.

The Windows update window in Control Panel says that it's Downloading Windows 10. I thought it'd already done this. Is there something fucky and can I get more information on what it's actually doing to see if something's broken?

Just download the Media Creation Tool and do it that way.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sion posted:

Well that didn't work. Media Creation Tool downloaded windows 10, verified it and then said 'yeah this isn't gonna happen, restart your machine.'

I've restarted my machine and now it's downloading it all again. Can it not just use the stuff it already downloaded?

and now:

"windows 10 couldn't be installed. We're not sure what happened!"

This whole cutesy error message thing is real loving dumb.

Any errors in the Event Viewer? I forgot where the MCT stores its error log. There's a list of common errors here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3107983

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Use magic jellybean or something.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Aranan posted:

Well, this is interesting. Apparently Gigabyte motherboards are notorious for having problems booting from a USB, which means my Windows 10 installation stick is going to be less-than-useful. I don't have an optical burner anymore, either.

Getting Windows 10 might take a little longer than anticipated.

You can just put the installation media (i.e. copy it from your USB stick) on your hard disk and install from there.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Does the "No auto-restart with logged in users" group policy work as advertised on Pro? I'm BitLockering over 2TB right now and don't need that being interrupted.

It'll just continue after the reboot, so don't worry about it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

hooah posted:

How can I completely turn of the login screen? I'm OK with the lock screen if that's absolutely required, but I don't feel a need to put my password in on my desktop at home, since obviously I'd have bigger problems if someone nefarious were in my house.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-automatically-login-in-windows-10/

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

redeyes posted:

Fast startup is the worst loving design decision MS could have ever made. I get CONSTANT calls requiring me to tell someone to hold shift to actually reinitialize the system. People do not understand that a reboot isn't really a reboot anymore.

A reboot actually is a reboot. Shutdown, however, isn't.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

SinineSiil posted:

So this has been happening with increasing frequency lately:

An update gets stuck on 0% and uses up 15-30% of the CPU and it even persists after restarts.

What can do?

What happens if you open Powershell (as admin) and run Update-MpSignature?

You can also try downloading the latest definitions here and see if that solves the problem.

There's some more information here: https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/definitions/adl.aspx

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

We have a PC at work on Win 10 that runs a 9-TV video wall and nothing else. Updates keep breaking the Nvidia Mosaic video wall software, and the Ethernet drivers.

Would editing the hosts file so Microsoft.com resolves to loopback be a way to disable updates on it? Or are they smarter than that?

Disable the Windows Update service.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

How about when you have a 3x3 video wall that runs from a PC with three $400 Nvidia NVS 510 graphics cards, and the Windows 10 Oct 10th update causes the PC to go into a bluescreen boot loop with all versions of the video driver, new and old? Got a solution for me, fucker?

Yeah, submit a ticket to nVidia and/or Microsoft.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Or just right-click the start button.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It didn't take my Windows 7 key at install, but it did work when I manually entered it after installing.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I reboot when I go to take a dump.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Jan posted:

Joking aside, yeah, that's pretty egregious. Glad my camera is too poo poo to capture 1080p. :v:

On Windows 10 and SSD booting super fast: Whenever I boot, there seems to be a short delay before network gets set up, and in that time Windows decides it couldn't reconnect my mapped network shares. I get this notification every time:

I'm not using Windows 8 fast boot, since there really is no point (Samsung 960 EVO boots in 10 seconds flat :stonk:). Is there some sort of group policy or something I could enable to force network shares to wait for a valid connection, or some such?

I think you can set a local policy in Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon for this.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

I want to run just have people be able to connect to my machine and dump large files on it remotely. I have no clue how to set this up, I am on windows 10, and am familiar with ftp on linux but cannot for the life of me figure out how to set it up on my windows computer.

Just run FileZilla Server.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Xarn posted:

I have Windows 10 Creators update (updated WSL is the bomb), and I am thinking about enabling BitLocker, because I need at least some parts of my FS encrypted for work reasons.

What are the chances that I will be left with unusable laptop for a while? (I don't have another PC to create installation media from here, and I will be here for another month or so.)

Bitlocker's encryption process runs in the background so you'll have virtually no downtime. I like to run the Bitlocker system check which requires a reboot but that's just me being paranoid.

e: Backup your recovery key to multiple locations or you'll feel sorry at some point in your life.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

bobfather posted:

Hi, I run a $6000 surveillance system on a box that runs Win 10.

Blue Iris, the surveillance software has the perfect combination of features and capability to perfectly coordinate this system.

It sits in a a locked area, and I remote in to change things. I touch the physical box maybe twice a year.

It's not recording 24/7, but I need it ready to record whatever motion it may see. It can't do that if it's rebooting.

So I disabled automatic updates and firewalled it from the world. Now I get to choose when the downtime will happen, same as on 8.1 Pro and 7 Pro.

Can you understand that?

Maybe you shouldn't run a $6000 surveillance system on a consumer desktop OS?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We Know Catheters posted:

Is there any way to fix the "preparing automatic repair" loop if I don't have a recovery drive and I don't have a disc and no way to create either?

You could put it on a USB disk. Otherwise, uh, I guess you're hosed.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does Windows 10 have some kind of native exposé feature? In Linux (or just gnome desktop maybe) if I hit the Windows key it opens up a layer showing me all of my active windows open in that desktop space; and in macOS there's a touchpad gesture that does this (and I'm sure there's a key combo as well).

Can't manage to figure out a way to do this in Windows 10.

Win + Tab

e; motherfuck

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Windows 10: Your third party software is a piece of poo poo

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i reboot every time i read this thread

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

redeyes posted:

I don't know why everyone thinks I actually use my computer like that. I just support people that use computers. I am not in the business of lecturing folks about their work habits. I just make stuff work so they can make a living.

Im actually looking forward to Windows 10 Pro Workstation. Presumably a consumer can buy it retail and it operates close to enterprise which a retail/small business can't really buy.

^^hows LTSB treating you?

maybe you should support them into the 21st century

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

plape tickler posted:

Is there a big update coming out? Windows has just downloaded 10 gigabytes of something. Svchost.exe is still downloading at over 100 mbit. Getting tempted to unplug my modem.

are you already running creator's update? there have been reports of microsoft just pre-loading it if you haven't upgraded yet.

i've noticed KB4032188 keeps failing to install here, check your update history maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

brylcreem posted:

I had to revert back from the Fall Creators Update because my computer kept freezing, with shorter and shorter intervals after each (re)boot.

This thread doesn't mention anything and I didn't find anything googling.

Do you guys have any ideas on what went wrong, and on how to prepare for the next try of installing the update?

Nothing in the log file stood out as being the cause.

Have you checked the event log?