Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
In theory the Windows Store is a great idea. In theory. I love Windows 10 but there's so much that needs polishing. UI alone (For the entirety of Windows) needs an overhaul because it does not look like a modern OS. Functionally it's fine, but visually it's a mess.

The Store is the same, except even the functionality needs work. In theory having your most used apps across devices all in one place for updates and the like is a great idea. No more juggling eighteen installers to keep the bare minimum updated. But in use, yeah, it's a mess. I honestly hope Microsoft really puts the effort into making the Store and 10 in general into what it really could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Wow, Windows 10 is actually getting some pretty sweet features. I never thought I'd see bash on Windows.

Now try and get devs to migrate to the new Windows repository system that you can use with Powershell. That's one feature I really liked from Linux: repositories versus individual program updaters. Death to individual update systems!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I recently found out about the registry hack for the OLED transparency for the taskbar. It looks way better now. What's the reason behind it not being default? It works with all wallpapers (Light or dark) and makes the interface look nicer. I wish it made the start menu and action centre, etc, all have that transparency too. From the name I'm guessing it's to reduce burn in on OLED devices, but I just like it more.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

What's it look like with it on? Just the icons and no taskbar or something?

Basically this:
http://imgur.com/a/CsTXY

More transparent basically, without making the text or icons less readable. Just a nice thing.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Every time Windows updates itself I get a toast popup that says "Hey we're gonna update your computer next time you shutdown/restart, or in your inactive times [which is like 3am-8am]". Does it not do this for other people? I'm totally happy with that, especially if I think I'll be using the computer during that time (For some God forsaken reason) I can tell it to hold off. I don't get massive focus stealing popups and it's never restarted while I'm doing anything. So I actually think it's a good way to make people update; anecdotally my family needs this poo poo or they'd never update, so forcing it in inactive times or at shutdown/restart works well.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hey guys, I have some files (some audio, video, etc) that have weird properties in the metadata (Timestamps for video and the like) that I've copied from other machines. Long story short, I can't edit the metadata through Properties and if I go to remove any of them there's no checkboxes or options to select which tags/metadata are deleted. I'm on Windows 10 Creator's Update version 1703. Any ideas?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
That's one of my biggest pet peeves in Windows and it's not even Microsoft's fault. In my Documents folder I have 36 subfolders and 2 random config files. Only one of those folders was put there by me.

Why the crap is Documents _still_ a loving dumping ground for random programs? Games are the most guilty of this. I have Steam games, in the appropriate Steam folder still dumping poo poo in Documents. It makes the whole folder basically unusable because of all the crap there that if you delete then whoops, guess you broke a program completely!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
What the crap. My Windows install used to do a thing where it took forever to boot and actually restarted once before you could log in (boot, log in, restarts for some reason, reboot and log in, good). That seems to have fixed itself and now boots quickly and without issues.

But now Cortana is broken. As in, the service doesn't run period, even though it's registered and the service is set to Automatic. I reregistered Cortana appx and nada. I've tried all the methods if you Google "win 10 cortana not working/running" and they all say the same things. None work.

Weirdly there's no running task for Cortana, and manually clicking Cortana in the Start Menu goes to launch something then nothing.

I normally wouldn't care, but it breaks normal Start Menu searching. As in I can't hit Win and type "note" for notepad or whatever. Which is annoying. The web results are useless though.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm going to buck the trend here. My laptop (which wasn't used a tonne recently) has the new Insider previews on it.

I loving love it. While there's still rough edges (which obviously shouldn't be a thing) I feel like it's slowly feeling more complete. The new sound settings in the April update are super useful to me, Sets and Timeline are amazingly useful for what I do and syncing between my computers is brilliant.

I still think they need to dedicate a team to unifying the UI though. poo poo is ridiculous, even though I love the fluent design.

Unrelated, Sharemouse is loving awesome too. Super light app that lets me use one keyboard and mouse for my desktop and laptop. Awesome.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I got bitten today at work by Windows. Mapped network drives all died on random computers, not all. I was flummoxed until I remember someone posting about DNS issues being case sensitive with the new update. So I mapped in all caps and it worked.

What a weird bug and why is it changed now? Got to be a reason.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Right click volume tray icon, go to Sounds, then Playback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

NotNut posted:

"Sounds" is not one of the options on that icon's context menu

Huh. I'm on an Insider build so that's probably why. Didn't know they changed that.