Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Heh new nvidia WHQL driver. :unsmigghh:

(Geforce Experience notified me of it first to download but then I turned off download drivers from MS so don't know if it will show up in Windows Update)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

The Gunslinger posted:

You can do this now? Where/How? I really don't want device drivers from Windows Update.

Pretty sure that person was just being sarcastic.

Go to the old control panel and select Devices and Printers then right click on the icon for your computer and select Device Installation Settings.

I think it was ThermoPhysical who posted about it first.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

xamphear posted:

Doesn't work. Or at least it's not consistent or guaranteed. I've seen some people say it works, but plenty more saying that they're still getting drivers (myself included). I've had all 7 PCs in the house set to disabled and they're all still pulling drivers.

I agree with this.

Gah that sucks. :smith:

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Techno Remix posted:

I need to ask a really dumb question that'll probably make me look like an idiot.

I upgraded a few days ago and hadn't noticed until tonight, but my CD/DVD drive is completely missing from my device manager. No yellow exclamation point indicating it's not working, it's just completely disappeared. I tried downloading the drivers from ASUS' website but they told me I already had the most updated driver. The tray still opens and closes and I can hear the disc spinning in the tray when I close it, but nothing comes up and I can't even see a D: drive in my File Explorer.

My Google skills are really weak right now and all I can gather is that this was a problem with upgrading from 7 to 8.1 but I went straight from 7 to 10 and I have no idea what the best way to fix it is. Anyone else run into this?

Oops nevermind saw you were talking about Device manager and not explorer.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

I eventually got it to go, but I was replacing a Vista installation and it took several tries for the win10 ssd to take. Now I have to figure out how to get my bookmarks and such out of the windows.old folder into someplace usable.

Bookmarks and such are in the AppData folder not Windows.old. Or for IE bookmarks and such in your User folder. Go to control panel and uncheck hide files.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

EconOutlines posted:

As someone who used Start8(over ClassicShell), what are people's thoughts on the start menu now? I'm using it for now to see how I like it but thinking about snagging Start10 for $4.

I am fine with it. I am just going Hey Cortana open... and am liking it.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Updated to build 10525 and everything working just fine.

Edit I can't click on the X in firefox to close it anymore. Other apps work fine including the Tor browser.

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 18, 2015

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Well the added a new commercial for the solitaire daily challenges.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

Compressed ram ?! I'll just buy another 16GB thanks.

Being able to add RAM is so 20th century. Why not update your skills and join the modern era.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

major spergin incomign

For over a decade I have used a category system for the Start menu. This reached its peak during my time using Win7, where the root level is mostly folders, like Games, Programming, Multimedia, etc., and within each category folder is a single icon to launch each relevant program, and if a program has ancillary things that I might actually care about (e.g. PDF manuals for a game, or source code utilities that come with an IDE) they get their own sub-folder within the relevant category folder. Upgrading from Win7, the new Start menu makes this system unusable. For example, my "Games" folder is still there under "G" but when I click to expand it all the silly ancillary things barf forth with the rest of the icons, things that I would normally keep confined to their specific subfolders that in Win7 were nicely kept below the main launching icons of the rest of the folder.

Has my little icon fiefdom finally come to an end? I got to the point where this, combined with the "hit Win-key and type" method was second-nature to me; on the other hand, I'm not opposed to the ideas that the new Start menu is proposing. But it seems like MS has kind of thrown to the wayside any organizational systems besides "have one app icon" or "have all the poo poo for one app inside a single folder".

Also, I don't care if Stardock makes some uber nerdlord custom product, mostly because gently caress Brad Wardell, but also because dealing with ricer UI customization programs is usually an exercise in really fragile setups that don't quite Just Work to the point of near-effortlessness..

Maybe try Classic Shell it has Win 10 support now. http://www.classicshell.net/

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Well had to uninstall and reinstall my network adapter and then also uninstall then re set up my Virtual switch for Hyper-v but otherwise so far so good.

The right click on the start menu button theme is the same as when you right click elsewhere on the taskbar.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
I really hate being a beta tester I just want to go to bed not beta test Windows

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
On the insider build and just got this notification.

quote:

Hi everyone,

As we shared in July, we have been working very hard to make Cortana available in more markets and languages. Today, we will begin rolling out Cortana to Insiders on Windows 10 Insider Preview builds 10532+ as an optional download to Insiders in Japan and in English for Insiders in Australia and Canada. We also have an early version in English for Insiders in India, which will be updated with an improved voice later this month. With these rollouts, we hope to learn a lot from your feedback as we continue to improve the experience and refine it for each market.

Later this year Cortana will also be available first to Windows Insiders in Brazil and Mexico, and in French in Canada.

Thanks,
g

Setup Instructions

Cortana is available to Windows Insiders in the following configurations. In order for Cortana to be show up on your system, please ensure you system has the appropriate Country or Region, Language, and Speech Language select for your configuration.

1. Open Settings. Select Time & language, and then Region & language.

2. Check the Language (set as default) setting for your Windows display language. If your desired language is not available, add your desired language:
•Click Add a Language.
•Select your desired language from the list.
•Select the desired locale, which is the language/country combination.
•Click on the newly selected locale and select Options.
•Under Download language pack, click Download.
•Under Speech, click Download.
•After the downloads are complete (this could take several minutes), return to the Time & Language settings.
•Click on your new language and select Set as Default.

NOTE: IF you changed languages, you must sign out of your account and back in for the new setting to take effect.

3. Check the Country or region setting. Make sure the country selected corresponds with the Windows display language set in the Language setting.

4. Return to Settings and Time & language, and then select Speech. Check the Speech language setting, and make sure it’s aligned with the previous settings.

If you are still having issues; you can further verify your settings:
•From Region & Language, under languages is a Related settings section, click on Additional date, time & regional settings, then in the control panel widow that opens:
•Under Language, click Add a language.
•A table of installed languages will display, click Options for the language you are using.
•At the top of the page under Windows display language, click Make default display language (or something like that).
•You will need to sign out for changes to take effect.

Note: If it says Enabled under Windows display language, then this is already done.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Lum posted:

So people on the insider build can now do "hey cortana, please do the needful?"

No they can now say "Crickey! Put another shrimp on the barbie Cortana!" or "Hey Cortana aboot that!"

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
BTW if you say gently caress You to Cortana she admonishes you for not ever talking to you that way. :D

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Tapedump posted:

Goddamn, I thought I saw the former happening on a bunch of machines, but I've yet so see the latter.

Anyone seen anything to lend validity to the reboot->autoWin10 claim?

The source of this is http://www.theinquirer.net and based upon a readers tip. They could have set up a machine and confirm this but hey it is theinquirer.net so who knows.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think a recent Windows update in 10 broke the ability to sleep or something. I've checked my drives and they're not failing...but recently, if I let the PC sleep, it'll lock up and I have to hard reset.

Anyone else having this problem?

I am on build 10547 and sleep has been working fine for me.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Not having tabs in an Explorer window is some bullshit though.

They have tabs in build 10547.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Crotch Fruit posted:

WTF KB3035583 was re-released as a critical update 10/5. I tried Win 10, I felt it wasn't ready, and my job doesn't want people to run it yet. I already had to reformat my PC to get Windows 10 off and go back to 7 and hide the update. Now thanks to the re-release, this morning when I opened windows update I was only greeted to a "Start upgrading to Windows 10 now!" This is a seriously lovely roll out strategy for business users.

Yeah your IT dept is crappy where I work no one has even been prompted to update to Windows 10. We don't even have a windows update server just on a windows domain.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Well in build 10565 when I click on a link in an email I finally got a box pop up asking me which browser to open it with. It was annoying when having firefox open already a link opens in Edge. No more!

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
th2_release Professional 10576 out on the fast ring.

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 29, 2015

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Armchair Calvinist posted:

How do I change where C: drive backs up? It's currently backing up the entirety of C: drive in my Games (D:) drive and I want to move it to my storage (F:) platter drive. I can't seem to find an option for this in Windows 10.

Any ideas?

It is in the old Control Panel >File History or in Setting > Update and Security > Back up Options.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Build 10586 just released for fast group.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Just installed the latest build and NO "this is an evaluation copy" nor build number at the bottom right.

Threshold 2 release version has been released to the fast ring.

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 6, 2015

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Does anyone know if the November update has started rolling out? I'm on 10586 already so I'm probably already running the final bits, but I'm due to update a few machines from Windows 7 to 10 this week and I'd rather get the new ISO and save myself installing 4 months of updates.

It was rolled out to the fast ring last week. I have it and there is no build number at the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
We;lp left the insider program now that threshold 2 was released to the general public. Was pretty easy left it had to reboot then for activation just put my Windows 8 Pro code in and activated. No calls or nothing and no reinstall.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Magnus Praeda posted:

I updated to TH2 and now windows says it's not activated...but I'm in the insider program (slow track). Any way to get it to realize it should be activated?

What does it say when in Windows Update when you click on Advanced Options? Are you still a part of the Windows Insider program?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone know if the 8 upgrade keys will work on TH2?

A friend of mine has the upgrade key back when MS was selling them when 8 launched and he wants to know if he can clean install TH2 using that key.

It should I left the Insider program and put in my Windows 8 Pro key and it activated fine. I did a clean install of 10 back during pre-release.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, but this is the upgrade key that MS themselves sold. Will that work?

Should mine is an upgrade key to 8 that I bought from MS

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Welp I had to :pt: because the start menu would not work any more tried all the on line tips then tried to create a new account but just got that spinning thing on add user that went on for an hour.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

Are you using a 3rd party AV? I don't know the exact mechanism, but something about how a lot of them load up and hook in seems to break the start menu. There's pages of threads of people removing their AV and the start menu starts working again.

Nope no 3rd party AV. I use Windows Defender. I have been using 10 since August and Thursday morning I opened a pic using the Photo app (was of a naked lady BTW) and it just stopped working. Also the Action Center wouldn't work neither.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

WillieWestwood posted:

All you had to do was right-click on the start menu, go to Control Panel, and go to a previous restore point.

Yeah I tried that and it didn't work :\ I didn't install anything new just went to bed woke up and clicked on the naked lady jpg and start menu no longer worked. I have since again clicked on the jpeg and no problems so far.

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 10, 2016

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Segmentation Fault posted:

That's because System Restore is depreciated. Reset My PC works better.

Except when it doesn't in my case. I got a notification they my PC couldn't be reset. So had to reformat and reinstall from scratch.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Just installed the 11099 release and it is listed as Build 11099.rs1_release.160109-1156 so might be the next public release build.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Haha, apparently whatever URLs you surf in the private mode of Edge turn up in the regular browser history. Just tried it before posting this. Jesus loving Christ, I hope this sort of incompetency doesn't happen in the kernel group.

That is fixed in the latest insider build.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Please can from this place Ihave too much to deal with the real world.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Latest fast ring build 14291 just came out. Edge now supports extensions! Now just Translator, Reddit Enhancement suite :nexus: and mouse gestures.

They currently require separate folders that you have to keep from whatever folder you added them from. I have mine in downloads and if I delete or move those folders after I installed the extension. The extension will no longer work. You can move them wherever before you install the extension. This is of course insider preview though.

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 18, 2016

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Sion posted:

I'm trying to upgrade to Windows 10 from 7 and the Windows Update window has been stuck on 'Preparing for the Upgrade please wait' with the useless green constantly scrolling progress bar for 2 hours now.

The Windows update window in Control Panel says that it's Downloading Windows 10. I thought it'd already done this. Is there something fucky and can I get more information on what it's actually doing to see if something's broken?

Restart the Windows Update Service in Admin tools>services

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone using the new Insider Build 14352 have the speaker icon in the system tray show up as Muted even though the sound is on?

No it is showing that it is on for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

xamphear posted:

Fast Ringers: How is the anniversary update shaping up as compared to Build 10240? I haven't budged from that yet, but I was thinking about sucking it up and upgrade-installing when there's an ISO available with the new summer build.

What's new/good/fixed? What's worse? Have even more control panels disappeared into the Settings app, never to be heard from again? Is it possible to shuffle backgrounds yet without using regedit or digging up a link to the old-style Desktop Background control panel?

Control Panel hasn't changed at all and yes you can shuffle backgrounds it takes images from your pictures folder from the new Setting app. You can choose from every 1, 10, 30 minutes or 1 hour 6 hours or 1 day for it to shuffle.