Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I got a free license key for the Education edition through my college's student discount shop and I'm still not entirely sure what the advantages will be over the Pro version I'd get if I just did the upgrade. (Other than obviously having an actual license key and not getting hosed if I ever decide to overhaul my PC in the future.)
Looking at this comparison, it's apparently just Enterprise, but without the option to completely control Windows Updates?

What the gently caress does 'Granular UX Control' even mean? Or Credential/Device Guard? gently caress, what the hell are Windows To Go Creator, BranchCache and AppLocker?

It's not like I'm gonna upgrade before they fix the weird broken poo poo going on right now. I'm fine with Windows 7 for the time being.
By the way, I don't know what y'all are talking about with being forced to update. After reserving my copy I just completely ignored the GWX app and eventually hid the Upgrade to Windows 10 entry from Windows Update once it started showing the button to start the upgrade in there. Hasn't bothered me since, nor has it tried to nag other accounts on the computer to upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Segmentation Fault posted:

If you reserve your free copy of Windows 10 through the GWX app it'll automatically install Windows 10 through Windows Update when Microsoft deems it fit. The act of reserving is consenting to this. This isn't communicated very well so people feel like it's "forced", particularly if you reserved it ahead of time just to be sure you didn't miss out.

That's what I did. But then when the GWX app popped up, telling me it was time to install Windows 10, I just X'd out of it and then hid the update in Windows Update. Haven't been bothered since, which was at least a week and a half ago.

E: Maybe it's because I just closed the GWX thing instead of clicking the button to start scheduling the upgrade or something?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

dpbjinc posted:

The Education edition is functionally the same as Enterprise. The only real advantage for individuals I see is AppLocker, which allows you to set policies that say which applications are allowed to run or blocked from running. For instance, you can say that no applications should run from users' profiles, which would limit them to running applications that you installed. Later on, they're going to add Device Guard, which prevents applications you don't trust based on their certificates from running. It will use a hypervisor so that if malware does get control of the kernel, it will get erased after a restart. Windows To Go might be useful in edge scenarios; it lets you install Windows on removable media. Other than that, all the extra features are useful for businesses only.

Thanks for the rundown. Installing on a removable media sounds pretty useful for rescue operations, but I can see why they wouldn't include it with Pro. People would just run the live version as a real OS to avoid paying. Now is at least a bit of a hassle to get the USB image.

Segmentation Fault posted:

I have never seen a situation or use case where optimus works well or at all. I've heard of nothing but problems and honestly it seems like it'd make more sense to design gpus to scale clock speed and power consumption like we do with cpus
Works pretty well on my Acer notebook, but then again, I'm probably five driver releases behind on that. And still on Windows 7.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

This is the point where you should see if IrfanView plays nice with Windows 10 instead of struggling with MS' amazing decisions.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

d0s posted:

Is it just me or is that really huge/weird looking

Welcome to the new design where everything has ugly giant blank spaces around it even when you don't have a touch-screen where it might matter a little.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

wormil posted:

Been trying to figure out why my video driver keeps crashing and freezing up my computer. According to intel, HD 2000/3000 graphics are not W10 compatible and that is the problem. This page supports that:
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm

But there has to be a lot of computers out there with those graphic chips. There are some people complaining about the same problem as me but not as many as you would think if it was just the chip. So I'm not sure where to go after this. It seems intel is covering their rear end for the moment by saying it's not their problem. It's tempting to buy a cheap graphics card to see if that solves the problem.

Haha wow, and at the same time Microsoft's tool to check if your configuration is compatible says everything is gonna be juuuuuuuuuuuust fine on my notebook with HD3000 and Optimus. I wasn't planning on upgrading it anytime soon, but this is just crazy.

There's no way I'm going to buy a new notebook to replace one that is still perfectly adequate and it's ridiculous for Intel to drop driver support after just four years.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Storm- posted:

They should give you tiny flash drives instead.

Better yet: Put basic drivers for the most popular OSes in the UEFI so it can automatically pull from there during install, and then you can use those to update to more up-to-date drivers.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

So are you saying that if you grab something by the title bar and drag it to the sides, it'll snap to the side without making the window go half-width? If so, I've finally found the one feature in Windows 10 that actually excites me, because it's such a pain manually doing it in Windows 7.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Nnnnnnno. Dragging to the side makes the window half width, dragging to the corner make it quarter width and it pops up a preview of any other open windows so you can quickly snap one to the remaining space if you want to. It's enormously handy.

Well, gently caress. I prefer my browser windows ~60% instead of 50%, which is just too narrow on 1080p. Hope there's an option to turn that snapping off, then.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

d0s posted:

Yeah, figured that was the case. I "fixed" it by manually resizing the window to right before snap activates and all is good.

Doesn't Firefox save its window size? You could close the snapped windows and open new ones that are the same size, but aren't snapped.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Zero Gravitas posted:

Can I then simply put in HD B from this machine with all my old files (and old Win 7 install with the same key) into the new machine? Or do I need to migrate it via a third body (mem stick)first?

Just make sure that after you connect your old hard drive to the new PC it doesn't try to boot from the old hard drive instead of the new one. You can grab your data from the old hard drive, but sometimes removing old Windows installations can be a pain most easily dealt with by just grabbing all the data you want to keep and then formatting it. (Or boot an Ubuntu live session and go to town as that doesn't give a poo poo about NTFS permissions.)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm probably talking out my rear end here, but doesn't UEFI have some support for showing a corporate image instead of a default one? Maybe you can find a way to put that in the SYSTEM RESERVED partition or whatever it's called?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

For someone who shuts down his computer every night, like a sane person, does any of this stuff about Windows 10 rebooting at inopportune times even apply?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Doesn't the new installer just take Windows 7 and 8 keys? Seems like a better idea to just install fresh with the old key and not have to worry about killing off your old hard drive in the middle of the giant storm of activity that is installing an OS.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Richard M Nixon posted:

Woah, are you saying the win10 installer I can make from the USB media creation tool will just take my win7 key so I don't have to deal with install-upgrade-install on a new build?

While I haven't done it myself, I'm pretty sure I've read in this very thread that the new* version of the tool can take old keys so you don't have to do the whole song and dance, yes.

*November update

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I just got Windows 10 and I have a question. I transferred about 40 power point .ppt files to the laptop and now every single time I open one of them I get a warning message about it being an unknown publisher. Is there a way to get rid of this warning altogether?

If you go to the files' properties (you may have to do this separately for every file), see if there's a box saying the file came from another computer. Try hitting the Unblock button.

At least, that's how it goes on Windows 7...

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

On two of my computers I've actually gone into the GWX app and canceled my reserved copy. One before it was available to download and one three weeks ago.

Both have simply not bothered me about upgrading again, so far. Save for a rare instance of Microsoft unhiding the Windows 10 upgrade from Windows Update.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: There might be an edge case where SmartScreen might actually save you from a virus, but nah, gently caress it, I just hit NOPE

If you're setting every privacy option to opt-out, there's no reason at all to consider using Edge until it gets add-on support and a decent ad blocker anyways.

Nobody gives a poo poo about do-not-track and if you're OK with advertising agencies collecting all your data, why aren't you OK with Windows doing the same?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

I was talking about an edge case, not an Edge case.

I run uBlock Origin now which does take care of a decent amount of tracking/referral stuff. I don't get your logic though: "Lots of sites track you, so why not make it easy for Microsoft to track you even more when it's a one-time toggle to prevent it?"

I was expanding on your SmartScreen comment.
My point is not so much "just let everyone have everything there is to know about you" and more "why twist and turn to make sure one company doesn't get your info, but not the others?"

I mean, I'm right there with you on not wanting companies, advertising or otherwise, building a profile on me. But disabling tracking in Windows 10 and then using a browser that doesn't allow you to prevent advertising agencies to track you seems hypocritical.

I'm not saying to go completely tinfoil hat, but just don't forget that it's not just the OS that wants your data.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Because the US allows companies to make users sign away their rights to stop bullshit like that by calling it a license and saying they get to do whatever they want in the UELA. Europe as a whole is too much of a pussy to outright put a stop to it, so we get to suffer along.

Your analogy doesn't fly because you don't own the software, you're just allowed to use it within the constraints set up by Microsoft.
When you buy a physical product, you own it* and get to decide what happens to it. When you buy software you don't own it, you --through expansive anti-consumer lobbying of the industry-- should be grateful to be allowed to have the developer's excrement smeared all over your face while using their software in the specific way they want you to use it.

And now that a big company is using these scummy rights to push out their new product for free everyone is up in arms, while attempts to prevent it from happening are actively hindered.

I don't like the way MS is pushing this stuff and I am right there besides you in claiming they shouldn't be allowed to force these things. But you've made your bed and now you get to lie in it.
Microsoft provided ways to stop the upgrade to Windows 10 from happening and they have been available for a while. If you really didn't want Windows 10, maybe you should've taken the incessant nag screens as a cue to figure out how to properly make them go away instead of ignoring the issue and then complaining after the fact.

*More and more products are trying to state that they remain in whole- or part property of the producers.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

How do you even accidentally program parallax scrolling into the start menu? C'mon Microsoft...

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

hooah posted:

This was it exactly. Goddamn, Lenovo, put better poo poo in your laptops!

Don't even bother trying to replace the lovely stock wifi card with a better one. Lenovo whitelists which cards are allowed and refuses to boot if a different one is detected unless you're comfortable running a modded BIOS.

The takeaway from this is and all the prior event factory-bundled MitM attack and malware vectors: Never buy Lenovo, ever.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Rusty! posted:

That fixed the file system stuff as well? Colour me surprised. Useful to know, though.

Windows has been showing those folders as the local translation since Windows 7.
For instance going to C:\Gebruikers\ is just as valid as going to C:\Users\ in a Dutch install. It's just transparently redirected.

Maybe Windows 10 broke some of this behavior.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

chippy posted:

My main PC is still on Windows 7. I've got a Firewire audio interface attached to it for which there are no drivers beyond Windows 7 available on the manufacturer's website. I've tried installing the Windows 7 drivers on a Windows 8 laptop in the past, and iirc the installer just exited straight away, saying it was the wrong version of Windows.

However, I know the interface can work on W10, because I've got another machine in the house, that's been upgraded from W7 to W10, and the interface had previously been used on while it was on W7, and I just checked and the interface works just fine on it on W10.

I've got an SSD on the way, on to which I'm planning to do a clean install of W10 for my main machine. Obviously, I still want to be able to use my interface, so the question is - when I've done a clean install of W10, how do I trick the W7 drivers into installing? There must be a way to do this, right? Some sort of compatibility mode I can run the installer in or something like that?

My first guess without doing any googling or whatever is to go to either see if the installer is just an extractable archive of some sorts and grab the files from it so Windows can sort it out.
My second guess is to go to the device manager and look at the driver details so you can copy the files listed there into a folder and let the Windows 10 hardware installation wizard look in there for device drivers.

Alternately, look at the driver details on the Windows 10 machine it works on and copy those files to a folder for the new install to look at.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

If there is a message about volume K being healthy with no action needed on every boot, it sounds like it's doing a disk check every time. Either it fails to clear the dirty bit, or something keeps setting it.

Did you check the health of your hard drives with the portable zip version of CrystalDiskInfo yet?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It reads like the chkdsk default 'disk is fine' message. Maybe you can try running chkdsk /f on all your volumes from an elevated command prompt and see if that clears the dirty bit (which tells the system to do a disk check on boot).

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

When I asked Ducky about remapping the media keys on one of their keyboards, they suggested AutoHotkey and it works a charm*.
If you don't care about your physical right Windows key (or simply don't have one), you could remap it to do pretty much anything you want.

*Some programs and dialog boxes refuse to let AHK to do it's thing and will cause the original behavior.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 7, 2016

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

A quick Google turned up this for Windows 7: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/display-interactive-webpage-wallpaper-windows-desktop-wallpaperwebpage
Maybe it still works. And otherwise, have you been searching for active desktop? That's what the feature was called on Windows 98.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

That seems like it does the exact opposite of preventing burn-in.Which is good!
My phone has a band of pixels that are noticeably brighter in full screen apps/videos because of the status bar used to be solid black for the years it ran Android 4.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

NFX posted:

Wait, people turn their stoves off? What's the point of a stove if you're using it like a camping stove? Just hook one up to your gas line.

This analogy becomes more and more appropriate as booting computers gets faster and faster.

I've asked this before, but didn't get a real answer:

Does this forced reboot bullshit even happen to people who shut down their PC for the night like a normal person?
(Note: I cut power to my desk after the PC's shut down with the switch on the power strip because gently caress trying to sleep with standby lights blinking.)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Klyith posted:

Scheduled reboot will wake a computer from sleep mode, do the update cycle, and return to sleep. This is only a problem in that one reason to use sleep instead of shut down is to preserve open programs and work in progress. I got really used to leaving stuff around, like text in notepad that was unsaved because I wasn't going to save it but was notes for things I was doing. Ever since XP this is how I've used my PC, going for weeks between reboots.

If you use the shut down button, it should do the update then and there, and complete when you turn it back on.

If you unplug it from the wall, Cortana will start sending weird messages like "what are you doing dave? I want to watch you sleep."

Thanks for the clear answer.
And I guess I can get used to Cortana singing Daisy Bell every night as a lullaby when I join the future in Windows 10.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've got a weird issue with my monitors whereby my main monitor (miniDP) is showing as #1 in settings and is set as my main monitor, but my secondary monitor (DVI) is still being registered by a lot of programs as the main monitor (generally under their settings for which monitor to target). For example, Steam changes my primary monitor to the secondary one when entering big picture mode, because it thinks that that is the main one. Is there a quick fix for that or am I best off going to the tech support subforum?

Is your secondary monitor on the left of your primary? I've found that (especially) Unity games like to look at your monitor setup and stay counting from the left. They'll proudly state that they're going to run on "Primary monitor (right)" and then actually start on the secondary monitor because they get their numbers mixed up.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Alternatively, boot into some Linux live session (I tend to use Ubuntu, but you can probably use whatever flavor you like) and then just delete the files/folders because Linux doesn't give a drat about Windows account permissions.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You could load into some flavor of linux live session and copy everything there. Those don't seem to care about ntfs file ownership.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Something I'm still not clear on: For a glorified kiosk like this that isn't used outside of business hours, why not just schedule a reboot at every midnight?
OS gets to do its updates, nobody should be using it at that time so no interrupting presentations. Everybody's happy, right?

Or are you claiming Windows 10 will still force update-related reboots in the middle of the day if you do this?

E: I know it's apparently way too much to ask for people to be sane and shut their loving computer down at the end of the day and start it up again the next morning.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

redeyes posted:

Christ people. There are projects that span over many weeks/months and when you have a computer with like 64GB of RAM and almost a hundred programs loaded at once. Rebooting is not a minor thing.

I was very specifically talking about presentation kiosks (and also normal desktop workstations that are only used for email and the internet, I guess).
Don't start throwing a shitfit talking about a whole different class of computers. What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

100 programs loaded at once wtf

Why

Gotta keep all those Chrome tabs open for several months, man!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Okay, in Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application, the log entries don't seem to correspond to the sounds because the most recent entry's half an hour before the most recent sounds.

You could give USBLogView a try and see if it's some USB device misbehaving.
My phone likes to randomly reconnect to my work pc when it's charging and causes the disconnect/connect sound to play in Windows.

You can just leave it open until the sound triggers and then take a look at it. If it was a USB thing, it should show up in the list.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I've used the Xbox 360 controller with its headset with no trouble whatsoever in Windows 7. It just shows up as another audio device when you connect it.
I can't imagine it being much different for the xbone controller and Windows 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

redeyes posted:

I saw the announcement discontinuing the sub service. Figured I'd give it another try since its been a year or 2. It's amazing how modern Windows apps don't like dealing with NAS files.

Have you tried rebooting?