Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

So yesterday I got a new laptop running Windows 10. The Windows version is Greek, which to me isn't the most ideal thing since it makes comparing my system with internet instructions etc. a pain. But I'm running across a bigger problem now; a lot of the system's file system is also translated, which is to say, the Users folder is called Χρήστες, Program Files is called Αρχεία Εφαρμογών, and a lot of things in general are in Greekrunes.

This means dropbox cannot run. It looks for a Program Files folder, and it looks for a Users folder, and those don't exist. Dropbox loving shipped with the machine. I am pessimistic about the prospects, but is there any painless way to completely change the system language?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Rusty! posted:

I would just grab a disc and reinstall it with the right language.

I resolved it by installing the English language pack (which I'd thought I did, but it was actually just the input language). Dropbox still has issues but that's something I need to take up to their tech support instead of Windows'.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

^ I tried going to C:\Users before I changed the language pack and it told me the folder didn't exist. Maybe it's case sensitive and I typed it all lowercase or something, idk.

Rusty! posted:

That fixed the file system stuff as well? Colour me surprised. Useful to know, though.

Unless the displayed folder name is just a display name and not the real name, yes.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Ok, a real issue seems to be that my user account's name (and thus folder name) is in non-latin script. Looking stuff up for changing the username I see as recommendations either manual registry editing to do the switch or making a new account and switching everything over to that. Is there really no other way of going on about it?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Alright, thanks. Will that mess with programs that have stuff in my current account's appdata folder and the like?

e; gently caress it, it's only been a day so I might as well just set everything up from the ground up

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 5, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The problem was the folder name though, not the login name. A bunch of installers saw non-latin script and would absolutely have none of it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

biznatchio posted:

This is also at 200%, and I know a lot of new behaviors kick in at that level. It may be that 150% doesn't scale nearly as well.

Default on my 15.6" 1920x1080 is 125% and it's hilariously bad with a lot of stuff. Thankfully, not enough stuff that it's a dealbreaker, but it gets pretty bad at times.

e; Compare window title w/ content.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a way to make File Explorer display selected file metadata at the bottom? I can do with the Details Pane open, but I prefer the less obtrusive 2-line display at the bottom of the explorer window like W7 Windows Explorer did.