Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm still using windows 7, but am expecting to have to get windows 10 home for my new system since I want to get a skylake processor (I know you can still get windows 7 installed awkwardly with one, but I'm not familiar what other issues could come up down the line and I don't really want to deal with the uncertainty).

The forced auto updates really bother me. I've read about methods to keep them from happening, but they were reported over a year ago and I don't know if system updates have since made them obsolete. What I want to do is get all the current updates and then decide what future updates to install going forward (and when), same as I can with windows 7 right now. Is there a simple way to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm using windows 10 for the first time as of a day ago. On windows 7 I always kept hidden files visible but windows 10 puts these annoying hidden desktop.ini files on the desktop and other places. Is there any way I can hide hidden files on the desktop only?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

:tipshat:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Does windows 10 not list security updates in its update history? I kept automatic updates delayed as much as possible but just manually updated, and windows update now says I'm up to date. However I'm not seeing any recent security updates there except an old flash player one. the meltdown/spectre updates are not there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

astral posted:

What? I'm still on regular CU but

I don't see this update either here or in my control panel view.

I'm using a coffee lake. I read that antivirus can interfere with the meltdown/spectre patches but I use avira which is on the list of antiviruses that shouldn't interfere

Is O&O shutup known to cause anything like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I regularly have windows 10 updates fail to install for some reason, but it doesn't happen to all of them and it also usually works after 1 retry. I can't think of anything I have installed that could make this happen except O&O shutup. Is there some setting that's known to make this happen and should I be worried