Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Whenever I power cycle my monitor all my windows get bumped to the top-left of the scree. Obviously it's adjusting to a non-existent new resolution, but this never happened in 8.1. ATi 290X and one of those cheap as chips korean 27" monitors connected via DVI, if that's any help.

Lum posted:

At the risk of turning this into a post your desktop thread, I think I have sufficiently undone all of Win10s awfulness, and can now just enjoy the good stuff under the hood.

lmao

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

When you have no monitors connected, it switches to 1024x768 for some reason.

This seems like a pretty simple thing to get right

Lum posted:

hers :)

And for the most part I just wanted rid of the awful bright white that everything is, so aero lite theme (which is signed by MS, just disabled by default) and glass8 it is. I actually like the new start menu and am only running StartIsBack because win+start typing program name fails about 50% of the time and just ignores your keystrokes. Once that's fixed I'll go back to the new menu.

Yeah I have like 4 UI hacks running, but so far they're all stable. (7tt, tclock, startisback & glass8)

Also, thank gently caress the new command prompt finally has cut+paste that works in a sensible manner.

yeah, I don't really like the look of your setup but at least it isn't so loving WHITE. kind of makes me appreciate pre-yosemite OSX in that while the stitched leather bullshit wasn't great looking it at least wasn't using white as the base colour for literally everything.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 31, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Is there a way to stop Win10 resizing my windows every time I turn my monitor off? I thought I fixed it but recently (possibly after the november update) it's started again; this time rather than moving all my windows into an 800x600 square in the corner it'll resize them seemingly at random. My browser ends up a quarter of the size, twitter client ends up twice the size and jumps above the taskbar like 50px, and my IM client jumps up but doesn't resize at all. It's bizzare.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

fishmech posted:

For what it's worth, with Windows 10 Pro, it's never restarted automatically so long as I had a torrent client running. It must interpret that as "being used".

I had that problem. Here's what you do:
"Go into the Advanced Display Settings on the Display Settings screen.

Then choose Advanced sizing of text and other items.

Then set a custom scaling level - drag it to 100%."

You'll know it succeeded if the main display settings page says "A custom scale factor is set"

Now if you want a different scale factor, then set your custom scaling level to that.

This fixed it; thanks!

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

fishmech posted:

Great! Near as I can tell, Windows 10 likes to use a different scaling factor when a monitor is turned off like in your case, or closed the lid (for a laptop) as in my case. Presumably there's no change if you let the scaling be what 10 initially suggests, but there will be if you change the scaling your self, and don't set a "custom" scale at the same time.

I never change the scaling but I seem to remember it having a tendency to automatically set it to 200 on fresh installs, so that's probably what did it.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Windows 10 seems to be loving up my PC's sleep function - when I hit sleep it goes through the motions, the screen goes black, the fans turn off, the lights go out, everything seems fine, then literally a second later it turns back on. This happens literally every time, both on my old and new computers, of which the only common hardware component is an ATi 290x. Any ideas how I go about fixing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Yep, it was my mouse. Took me unchecking that setting twice for it to 'take' though, threw me off a bit.