Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Either link your activation to an MS account and go through the activation troubleshooter later to transfer the license, use your old Windows 7 key or buy one of those cheap $5 Ebay keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

nielsm posted:

When I upgraded mobo/CPU/RAM a little while back (Intel to AMD upgrade) I had to re-enter my old Windows 7 retail key for it to activate again, despite having a digital license entitlement and logging in with MS account.

Did you try running the activation troubleshooter? The license won't reactivate automatically.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I've used Ctrl + Shift + Esc to launch the task manager ever since Vista added that splash screen to Ctrl + Alt + Delete.

Another handy tip is killing explorer.exe (and manually relaunching it should it not restart automatically) if you have shell issues.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Is any third-party AV installed or are there traces of one? In that case, download the uninstallation tool from the third-party AV website.

If that doesn't help, try updating to the latest version 2004, which amounts to a reinstall of system files. Maybe that fixes it.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Yep manually forcing the 2004 update fixed the Defender issue. Took like 5 hours to install but everything seems to be working fine and maybe even better now.

That's great to hear! I've solved a surprising number of Windows problems (Windows Update no longer working, for example) by forcing an update to the latest version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

Its actually the monitor's fault. Its disconnecting itself before turning off. Well it's also windows fault for being crappy about this for literally 15 years.

Windows handles this poorly by default, so it really depends on how the graphics card driver handles things. I've had this issue with the same monitors on a PC with integrated Intel graphics, but not Nvidia cards.