Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I think I might roll back to Windows 8.1 until DirectX 12 games start showing up.

Over the last two weeks I've had more bluescreens than I had in my entire time using Windows 8 (from launch), and every few days when I turn my computer on in the morning, the BIOS needs to restore itself from the backup ROM. Last night I put my computer into sleep mode instead of a full shutdown to see what would happen, and when I woke it back up today, it fired up and then bluescreened attempting to write to read-only memory. Now, bluescreen errors being as vague as they are, I opened up the event viewer and grabbed a calculator and the Intel 64 System Programming Guide, found the bug check parameters for ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY, and decoded the page table entry, which was mapped read-only and execute-disable pointed at 9MB physical.

I don't even know what the gently caress Windows was trying to do but I'm wondering if poo poo like this is related in some way to my apparent BIOS issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Anyone encountering the Netflix app crashing when you try to manually select a bitrate? It'll auto-buffer its way up to 1080p for me but if I try to manually select it it'll just crash.

This has just started happening in the past few days. I've been using Windows 10 since launch.