Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Maneki Neko posted:

Holy poo poo, are the intel graphics drivers for windows 10 garbage or something? Upgraded a machine at work to start testing out some apps and get a bluescreen (frownetowne) every 5 minutes.

Graphics drivers seem to be a shitshow on 10 in general. I reverted my MS Surface Pro 3 to 8.1 because the graphics driver for 10 (on MS's flagship tablet!) was broken and made my video card overheat until videos turned to rainbows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
How do I get rid of the nag to update to Windows 10? I reverted back to 8.1 and that apparently doesn't tip them of at all that they should shut up about upgrading. The instructions I googled up didn't work. I'd like to kill it on my Windows 7 computer too.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cojawfee posted:

Did you uninstall the specific windows updates?

Yeah.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Segmentation Fault posted:

Trillian still exists?

I haven't used an instant messenger since smart phones became a thing. What's even the usecase anymore?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Late, but I still have a lot of people using Facebook chat, and I want to use IRC, so why not have one application handle both workloads for me?

Also I like logging in to my old 6-digit ICQ account daily, even if nobody ever messages me on it.

Interesting. All of my friends are either using hangouts or group MMS these days, so I haven't had any use for a desktop IM client. On the very rare occasions I don't have my phone with me I can get at hangouts through gmail or google+.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Cool, the most recent windows 10 security update caused my surface pro 3 to constantly lose its connection to my wifi. How is Microsoft constantly breaking their own devices like this?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

astral posted:

it's trying to save you from tomorrow's krackattack

Lol, for the first time ever in my life I'm uninstalling a security update. I feel weird, but a tablet is pretty loving useless without an internet connection.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

dissss posted:

My Surface Pro 3 has never worked very well TBH but updates have certainly made it worse in the past (especially the firmware ones which were supposed to fix battery life)

Did you have any wifi problems beforehand? Microsoft cheaped out and used some garbage wifi chip so I’ve never been happy with mine (compared to the Intel setups in my other systems)

Nope, never had problems before. It started dropping my wifi immediately after the update. The weird thing is that it drops my private wifi but stays fine on my guest wifi on the same router. There must be something more complex going on, like maybe a corrupted profile for my network or something.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

no, this wasn't it. i removed the update, deleted the wifi driver, and i'm still constantly dropping my connection. it's only to [networkname] though and my [networkname]_guest served by the same router works fine, as does any other network.

i'm guessing there's some sort of hidden profile for wifi networks win10 keeps that isn't removed by doing network reset or killing drivers and this got corrupted, so I'm going to try changing the SSID on my router tomorrow and see if that fixes it. else I'm faced with the unenviable task of factory resetting a surface pro 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

astral posted:

For network profiles, check the registry around here if you haven't:

code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

Tried wiling this as part of my wifi unfucking routine but no joy.

Maybe a wipe won't be so bad. It would fix the problem if my %user%folder deadnaming me every day so we you can't rename profile folders even though you can rename accounts.