Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The legacy Internet Explorer worked like, once on my work laptop and is now unable to go to any website and acts like I don't have an internet connection. Edge and Chrome are fine.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Anyone have any issues with games made before 2006 or so?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Does anybody know if a VM would be good enough to get my computer onside for the free upgrade? I ain't trying to capture and push images at 10 at night.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

So, I’ve been seeing there’s ways to take 7 to 10 and secure my digital entitlement license still.

Would I be able to do this with a windows 7 VM? I don’t want to format my SSD or go through the effort of finding a spare HD to do this with.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

so if I have windows 10 on an HDD (that was upgraded to 10 from 7 a while ago), and I use the media creation tool to get an installer so I can install windows onto an SSD, I shouldn't have to enter any license key that I don't think I ever had (since it was an OEM install)

and everything will pretty much be fine, right?

It's tied to the motherboard, so it probably shouldn't.

If you're really worried you can just clone it.

ItBurns posted:

This is my start menu now. I am ok with this.

I still don't know what the gently caress they're thinking by having every fresh install have Mickey Mouse and Minecraft and Candy Crush right there on the start menu. Looks so tacky and like cheap phone bloatware.

A fresh install from an MCT image should be totally clean like every version of Windows before it, and like Mac OS and Linux are.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I wish they would let me choose a display name when my account is a Microsoft account instead of forcing me to use my real name.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I have a Win7 Pro desktop and I'm thinking of picking up a new SSD and installing Windows 10 to it. Is there any truth to some reports I've seen around the web that you can still use an active Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10 on the same machine? I'm seeing some sites say that it still works as recently as October, but there seems to be some conflicting information out there.

Basically what I want to do is this:

1. Create Windows 10 installation DVD
2. Install new SSD alongside my old HDD (which has Windows 7 installed on it)
3. Boot from the DVD and install Windows 10 to the new SSD
4. Use my Windows 7 product key when asked
5. Now have Windows 10 installed on my SSD, with all of my files still intact on my old HDD

Is this feasible, or is there some blatantly obvious reason why this wouldn't work that I'm missing because I'm dumb?

I did this a couple weeks ago and yes, using my Win 7 key in Win 10 worked perfectly.

I initially cloned my drive and upgraded that, but it was kind of janky. I received an SSD for Christmas (nerd) and installed it fresh with a key. No activation issues.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Still, if you think you might want to upgrade at some point, you really should lock in the upgrade entitlement before they cut it off.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I wonder when Microsoft is gonna realize people don't want all that much out of their operating systems, other than stability. We don't need their help finding Candy Crush or changing the wallpaper, just leave us alone and leave the application stuff to everyone else. If you're trying to crib off Mac OS, then crib the part where the bundled applications are utilitarian and tasteful, and let the user populate it with junk if they want to from the app store.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

To be honest, if they backported the kernel changes to 7 and called it a day I would have bought it sight unseen.

Would you happen to know anywhere that details those changes? I switched last month, but I’d like to know what I got for the effort besides the Microsoft store and lock screen wallpaper.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I really wish they fix the occasional Start button non-responsive issue. Happens randomly that clicking it does nothing and you have to log out or restart.

Also I wish their UWP apps would get better, it's been 6 years since Windows 8 and they should be further along by now.

I wish one of their flagship games, Forza Horizon 3, wouldn't refuse to launch unless I download an app to unfuck the DRM.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I’m not even sure why tablet mode is an option without a touchscreen. Should be hidden a bit if not.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

We're going to force you to patch

:v: Ok that makes sense

We're also going to let the Updater continue to be an opaque, flimsy piece of poo poo that breaks forever if you look at it wrong.

Great, time to stop wuauserv and do that ritual again.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

If I could game on OSX or Linux I'd have been gone a long time ago.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

wolrah posted:

I defend Windows 10 a lot in this thread, but :same:

My laptop technically dual boots but has been booted in to Windows for less than 6 hours in the last year, entirely for the purpose of shutting up a vendor who was convinced that the fact that I was running Linux was somehow causing their device to not work properly.

About 40% of my total Steam library claim Linux support at this point, but that number is disproportionally heavy on indie-type games I got from Humble Bundle and the like so it's not really accurate. Looking at my recently played list, of the last 25 games I've played five have Linux support and the only one of those that's a big name title is Payday 2. All the other AAA games are Windows-only, maybe one or two of those also supporting Macs but my Mac is so old I don't even have Steam installed on it.

If I could play Subnautica, Dishonored 2, Just Cause 3, Fallout 4, and GTA V on Linux officially my desktop would probably follow my laptop straight in to Linux-land. No matter what your thoughts on Windows Update, APT blows it out of the water in every possible way. Even RPM sucks less by a lot.

At least I have a chance of fixing APT and RPM if they break, Windows Update is usually lol reimage. I see it all the time. It's ridiculous. If you're gonna force me to update, and I actually want to update, why is it still so janky?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Before I quit I got in on HUP Office 2016 :getin:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Well this kind of rules

Windows 10: Xeno’s update

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Rexxed posted:

MS wants you to use Windows 10, their hot advertising platform. They're not trying to make it hard to get. Last I heard you can still upgrade a pirated windows 7 or 8 to get a legit 10 activation.

That still works. Used a spare Windows 8 key on my dad's computer today and it worked, no fuss.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Everyone always tries to avoid updates with Windows, but I've been wanting to get 1903 ASAP for like 2 weeks and even though it's gone wide today, nothing.

Like c'mon Microsoft gently caress my poo poo up already. I ended up getting the update assistant.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah Dell is still really good about designing their stuff so you can get at replaceable parts.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Upgraded my computer.

Trying to delete the old WindowsApps from the last install on my storage driver and Windows was just kicking and screaming the whole time. Wouldn't respect its own permission scheme, throwing confusing and contradictory errors like I need permission from myself to delete.

I make an Ubuntu live USB and it deletes it with no fight at all lol. Windows doesn't care it's gone, why should it since that was another install, and happily let me point Game Pass back at that drive and location.

I really don't get why Microsoft so zealously guards WindowsApps. I get locking it down, but why do you have to obfuscate what the hell is in there too?

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Hipster_Doofus posted:

The plethora of options in the Peace GUI makes it look messy and complicated, but it's actually very easy to use if you are just doing basic, normal stuff.

Also, if you are going to install eq apo, I highly recommended trying out HeSuVi as well. It works pretty great imo and is a ton of fun to play around with, to the point of being a huge time sink, for me anyway. Getting it initially set up is a bit of a chore, but there are good tutorials out there. I recommend this youtube video. It's short, to the point and straightforward. However, there are always edge cases where a particular method doesn't work. If anyone has trouble getting it to work, shoot me a PM I'll gladly help. Actually jeez I just realized I ought to start a thread about it. Googling "hesuvi site:somethingawful.com" only shows the one time I mentioned it a while back.

I was hesitant/lazy to reinstall it after I rebuilt my system since I could get it close enough with the onboard equalizer, but with hesuvi I might install it again.