Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Hey, goons

I just updated from 8.1 to 10 and just wanted to ask if there are any apps or settings that I should change/disable in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for the input!

FCKGW posted:

I also disable the Cortana search box that takes up half the taskbar
lol yeah I nuked that instantly

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Out of interest, why wait so long to upgrade? 10 has always been better than 8.1, pretty much from the word go.
It had a lot of problems when it came out iirc and I wanted to wait a bit to have microsoft hammer those out. Then I pretty much forgot about it/ was too lazy to take the time to make the upgrade because 8.1 was still working fine and I didn't want to "upset" my working system

Flipperwaldt posted:

I don't see a lot of useful difference between 8.1 and 10.
As I was told the big difference is that serious updates/support for everything below 10 kinda stopped/is on the way to being phased out and especially on the front of security updates that's sort of a big deal imo. And development of software is also directed towards Win 10 as the basic framework now. Like a little while ago I changed my old 2GB GPU for a newer 8GB GPU and the driver/utillity software from radeon was straight up unable to work with 8.1 and some other older win versions. I assume because they see no sense in putting work towards "dead" platforms. Had to jump through a few hoops to manually instal a basic driver for my GPU without any of the utillity software and that sucked. I'm not a cutting-edge gamer but even being in a comfortable mid-tier nowadays just seems to have moved past the point where I was at so I felt it was time to catch up where it was most needed.

The upgrade through the microsoft update helper was pretty smooth and painless btw. Took a few hours to do but my system/data stayed intact and I have no issues so far. It's still free btw if you have a legit win 7/8.1 copy that's activated with a product key

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I have pretty annoying and regular problems with my wi-fi since I upgraded my system to win 10. My connection just repeatedly cuts out for like the first one or two hours after starting my PC pretty often since the upgrade. It's not a problem with my router I think since my phone uses the same wi-fi at home and doesn't have any problems at the same time. Whenever the connection dies I go to my taskbar, tell windows to cut the connection to the wi-fi, re-connect and everything is fine within seconds. Until the next random cut, of course. Upgrading to win 10 was the only significant change I did to my system(doubt that my new GPU has any effect on the issue) so I'm fairly confident in it being the root of the problems. I guess another avenue could be that my USB receiver is maybe too old for win10? No idea but I'm gonna put it out there.

I'm aware that this sort of issue is rather tricky and might not be solved with some advice from here but I'm still going to give it a shot :wave:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for the input, folks! I'm using a N300 Micro Wireless USB Adapter from Belkin which is real old by now so that's why it was my first suspect. My device manager shows that it has recognized it as an N300 USB Network Adapter which should be right? However after going through the page of the manufacturer I have learned that their last update for the device was for the V2 version of it with win 8.1 support. And going by the sticker on the back mine is so old that I still got the first version of it lol. Probably best to just buy a new one instead of trying to make this one work perfectly again.