Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Holy gently caress that 3035583 is persistent. I finally turned off automatic updates because of that poo poo gets installed to my 8.1 Pro repeatedly. Rip timely security updates I guess? Why on earth MS has to act like a huge sack of dicks and force-feed newer versions? I want the old MS back when you could upgrade when you deemed the next Windows ready for everyday use. This new lovely attitude just makes me want to skip Windows 10 altogether.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Is M$ trying to sneak in a new patch to force people to upgrade? Since I remember the KB3035583's code and could spot it anywhere, are they trying to repackage it in a nice new box with KB3123862?

quote:

The update adds capabilities to some computers that lets users easily learn about Windows 10 or start an upgrade to Windows 10.

Yeah.. not... installing that one.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Uh yeah that's what I meant, I was posting in bed.

Upgrades from Win 7/8 and sometimes just reimaging 10 can cause automatic resizing of the recovery partition, but if it is below 500mb the upgrade will fail.

What if my PC is from Vista era and it does not have a recovery partition at all, as far as I know? I think it was introduced later.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

You can probably activate basically any key you can find. At least windows 8 didn't care where the win7's key came from, and I think it is the same with win10.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I reboot once a month for security updates.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone? This makes me :smith:

In the Good Old Days Windows had a settings screen for adjusting UI elements. They removed it and now you have to manually edit windows registry.

Try googling for specific registry keys...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My friend works at MS and gave me a Windows 10 Pro key. They are allowed to share it with friends and family members so this is all completely OK.

I don't want to upgrade from Windows 8.1 yet, but now I will have a real key which I can use if/when I finally upgrade, and if I change hardware I shouldn't have problems either.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

There is a chance that something might go wrong and I have zero motivation to deal with computer problems during summer. Maybe in Autumn...

I had problems with X58 chipset drivers causing my pc freeze due to hdd errors, Xonar D2X driver issues (I use custom drivers now) etc. I bet at least one of those will cause issues if I upgrade to 10.

And my Windows install is a Vista upgraded to 7, then to 8, and finally to 8.1. There's a chance something will go wrong while upgrading to 10. Resetting your install from a cloned inage isn't too difficult but really.. why should I take the risk? Overwatch, Spotify and Chrome all work, and I bet they'd work the same on Win 10.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 30, 2016

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

And 8.1 is not a 12 yo OS full of security holes. 8.1 will get security updates till 2023.. which is 7 more years...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The largest ISP's in Finland have postes notifications about M$ loving it up again with their lovely updates.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Cool. I guess I'm in the minority, but I never upgrade drivers as long as they work. Saves a lot of time when you don't need to figure out why something broke again...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So I'm considering upgrading to Ryzen and apparently I must update to Windows 10 if I want security patches. So.. how bad is Windows 10 when you use current branch for business? Apparently current branch is a yuge mess, but does Microsoft manage to fix the bugs in 4 months or so the business branch gets? Do even security patches break stuff?

I just want to use my computer, not fight with day after day. The year during which M$ tried to force win10 to everyone was already bad enough...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

You can talk to MS all you want if you drop $500 to open a support call. I have done this exactly once.

Saw a guide on /r/programming on how to file a bug for Microsoft products: https://youtu.be/9W3mKNSem5M

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

Wrong link, I'm pretty sure. This is some garbage about 240Hz monitors.

Apparently I'm bad at using Android's clipboard and too tired to check what I pasted :suicide:

This is the correct link: http://www.schveiguy.com/blog/2017/05/how-to-report-a-bug-to-microsoft/

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I just have control panel pinned to task bar, altough I don't use it that often.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Microsoft doesn't care about the key. I've seen people do upgrades to computers which had a unlicensed windows running, no problems. Ms just wants to collect telemetry and get everyone to win10.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Uhm so how legit those ebay key sellers are? Sellers with 99,8% ratings which have been selling stuff for 10+ years sell win10 enterprise keys for 12,50€.

I'd really like to use win10 enterprise because of the added controls regarding telemetry, windows store and all that other extra crap win10 has. Is it a good/bad/awful idea to buy one of those?

You can download the enterprise iso from Microsoft.com and make a usb stick with Microsoft's tool, so installing it should be no problem.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

isndl posted:

They're selling salvaged licenses from recycled computers. Microsoft complained but EU courts ruled it legal, so buy to your heart's content.

Thank you. Microsoft makes getting Enterprise licences for private persons really hard. I'd rather pay 300€ for a OS like I did back in the day with Vista, than get a "free" os which collects too much info for my liking. Also just disabling Store (and all store apps, auto-installing store apps etc.) with 1 toggle in group policy editor is so much more straightforward. They really should allow that in Pro version too.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'll try and find out how this works. Got the key from ebay.de, and usb install media ready, also got a legitimate win10pro key straight from Microsoft as a backup. If it doesn't work out I'll just install the pro version and try to deal with it. Just need my new mobo, ram and ssd first...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Does that mean I first need to have a win 10 pro installed? Then I can upgrade to enterprise with a different key? Or how do you spell out that crap in plain English...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

OK so I will get mobo & cooler today. Changing hardware is no problem but Windows.. I thought about:

-> clone old ssd to new ssd, but I must be able to exclude certain folders like /games during the cloning process
-> upgrade 8.1 to 10. I have also a bootable usb win10 install media
-> upgrade mbr to gpt/uefi thingy with MBR2GPT (comes with creators update)

Any good tools to clone SSD's including mbr etc. but exclude some files like hiber, pagefile and some folders...? Acronis trueimage maybe? Or some open source software?

Should I upgrade windows online or offline straight after cloning? Will win8.1 even boot with Z370 and 8700K?

Do I need to gently caress with the partitions while cloningto leave room for recovery partition or whatever the UEFI/GPT requires?

Should I make a Windows PE usb key in case I run into some random problems? Or can driver issues etc. be solved with the bootable windows upgrade media?

Thanks in advance :tipshat:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My new ssd is 500GB M.2, my old ssd 1TB SATA. So I really need to be selective what I copy. The actual programs and windows etc. take only 130GB, it's 600+GB of games and other stuff which I don't want to move over.

One solution is to get Acronis Trueimage and make a backup image which omits some folders. Then restore that backup to the new SSD offline, upgrade windows and so on..

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Acronis solved everything. It created an image without extra junk, and restored it to the new ssd. Now I'm running win 10 enterprise and it was really painless. Apparently at some point the old MBR changed to uefi gpt thingy automatically. I realized it after trying to run mbr2gpt and it failed..

Upgrading from pro to enterprise took 15 seconds. I just switched the key from control panel and it activated automatically. Didn't need to download anything, didn't need to restart.. it's magical.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Acronis was $50 without any discounts, but so far it has saved me way more than $50 worth of time. No problems at all. I guess it's also better than crashplan for offline backups, since it does full images (or inceremental or whatever you want) which you can just restore back. Crashplan is more for those "oh poo poo my house burned" situations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

They're offering a big discount for the first year of Crashplan Business, at least to current Home users. I signed up since my Home plan runs until June 2018, that means I have until June of 2019 to find a replacement before I'd have to pay a higher rate.

I'm on the same deal. I was too lazy to think about it for now, maybe in 2019 I'll have to look how things are. I hate backup so I just want to get it out of the way.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Ok what the gently caress, after I reboot all the previously open programs restart automatically?! Is this some lovely win10 feature? :suicide:

Like normally you put programs you want to start automatically to startup folder or something...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

astral posted:

it's an option

Which is apparently on by default. I have to find out.. it's somewhere hidden in these multiple control panels windows 10 has.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

mystes posted:

Considering how half-baked Edge is, I'm just going to pretend that this is because they haven't gotten around to implementing this functionality yet.

But they're already on version 41, how can it be still a half-baked piece of crap :confused:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have a problem with windows 10 (can't remember if I had this with 8.1 or not) that having Windows Defender Real-time protection causes my spinning hard disk to repeat a same head movement all day every day. Like *Brrrt* *brrrt* *brrrt*

The head movement stops instantly when I disable RTP. Is there any way to figure out what is causing this? It doesn't matter if I'm on my computer or if it's idling. The noise is very annoying especially because I don't know the reason.

Disable RTP permantently and change to another AV vendor?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp making a new diff backup now. I have acronis for offline images and crashplan for cloud backups so I'm not that worried. The first thing I tried (before reading this thread) was to disable :nsa:-delivered protection in the defender settings and it seemed to stop the seeking immediately. After the backup I'll check for those bad sectors. I just have a feeling this is all Microsoft's fault again, hopefully I'm not wrong since breaking HDD's suck :saddowns:

E: at least this wd 3000fyyz has a 5 year warranty.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 14, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Turns out that Microsoft is poo poo, as was expected. Disabling that :nsa:-assisted poo poo from defender settings stopped the head seeking and the HDD is actually fine.

code:
Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
  51038892 free clusters processed.
Free space verification is complete.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

2861458 MB total disk space.
   2660766 MB in 503399 files.
    233048 KB in 55030 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
   1120304 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 204155568 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 732533503 total allocation units on disk.
  51038892 allocation units available on disk.
Also that thing took a lot of time to run.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Buy a key from ebay and enter it via the Settings panel. Takes a few mins and no more nags.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Dr Tran posted:

My C: drive (128 SSD) is full and I think it's the Users directory that is eating up space.

What do I do?

Usually I run Scanner. You can download it from http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/

Has worked fine for a decade+ at least.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What's the point of that app? Windows 10 pretty much works just like windows 8, instead the start menu is in a resizeable box instead of full screen. Difference is minimal at best.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Sininu posted:

Read your post for answer to your question.

You can still enable full screen start menu from options in windows 10, if anyone really misses it. You don't need a separate app for that...

Autorun apps you want always. Pin heavier most-used apps to taskbar(s). Pin less-used apps to start menu. Let the "i use these once a year" stay buried in the menu system, then you can search for them by typing when needed!

Some keyboards even have hotkeys you can bind launch macros etc. to.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 4, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Less Fat Luke posted:

Goddamn, despite disabling "Suggestions" in my start bar Windows 10 keeps stuffing ads in there for lovely free games. Is there some other option to turn these things off?

I upgraded to enterprise and disabled store.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well MS said they'll stop even the free assistive upgrades, but at least as of yesterday I upgraded my win8.1 pro to 10 pro with the media creation tool downloaded from microsoft.com

So they say one thing and do another, not very surprising.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

It still works. I have upgraded a couple of pc's this year. Does it even require a valid key? I think it even works with windows which are not activated..

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I bought a random ebay enterprise key and disabled store with group policy (why do so some settings have to be enterprise only?!). No notifications!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Ebay $6 enterprise keys. If it doesn't activate via the GUI, running the activation script from cli/powershell should work. No idea about the legal aspect of it though.