Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What's the verdict on Windows 10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is Windows 10 backwards compatible with programs for Windows 7?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Windows 10's search function is called Cortana and it also searches the web using Bing? Are you serious with this poo poo?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Also can everyone check if their Windows 7 systems actually sleep right and it's not a universal problem? Because I put mine to sleep every night and that would be crippling to me.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

Looks like my housemate will be on 7 for another decade yet. The installer refused to download properly, and now it's claiming that she's installed Windows in an unsupported directory. Namely, C:\Windows.

How dare she.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Now downloading Windows 10 in a race against time.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

After a terrifying hour I've got Windows 10 installed and I have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to make the subfolders in a folder display before the files? I want this for my images folder because it's huge and I don't want to have to scroll to the bottom to see the folders. It was how it should be in Windows 7.

2. Is it possible to make the systray and time/date show up on both taskbars if you have multiple monitors?

3. Where can I find the contents of the old "startup" folder that was in the Programs part of the start menu in Windows 7? I had a homemade executable in there and I want to recover it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Just remembered I have the original spinny disk that came with the machine and had Win7 installed, so I popped the drive in and installed it, never to be used probably.

Really, now that the original date has passed, there's no reason for them not to extend the free upgrade period or even make it perpetual and get more people to see their ads the Microsoft Experience.

1. Works fine here, just sort the folder by name ??
2. Haven't really used it on the multi-monitor system yet.
3. It should be in "C:\Users\Jewel Repetition\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" though I have no idea if it's still working as I don't have anything there now.

Thanks. The problem is that I'm trying to sort them by date modified.

Edit: You gotta fuckin go into list view, click on Date Modified to sort it that way, then shift click on Name for some reason to get folders to show up first.

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 30, 2016

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It turns out there's no way to have the system tray/clock on more than one monitor. The technology just isn't there yet I guess. Luckily DisplayFusion will still do it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Khablam posted:

Boy are you gonna like August 2nd!

What.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So I just got this mouse with Windows 10:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D68ZVY8/

And I like it's because it's probably the most comfortable mouse I've ever used in my life. But that blue windows logo button just brings up the start menu. Is there a way to hack that button to do something less completely useless?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Rusty! posted:

X-Mouse Button Control can probably deal with it.

It can't intercept the windows button because it counts as being on the keyboard, but thank you.

isndl posted:

Some quick Googling says the blue button is treated as hitting the Right Windows key, so remapping that button in Windows should let you do whatever it is you want. A lot of keyboards don't even have a Right Windows key anymore so you might not be able to hit that key otherwise.

c0burn posted:

SharpKeys can probably do it if it counts as a right windows key, and is easier than having an AHK script loaded

SharpKeys has the inverse problem of X-Mouse, where it can't map to mousekeys. It can map to browser forward but that's "too specific" because I then can't use the button in games.

Geemer posted:

When I asked Ducky about remapping the media keys on one of their keyboards, they suggested AutoHotkey and it works a charm*.
If you don't care about your physical right Windows key (or simply don't have one), you could remap it to do pretty much anything you want.

*Some programs and dialog boxes refuse to let AHK to do it's thing and will cause the original behavior.

Yeah I did use AHK. It's not even extra trouble for me because I already had a script I run at startup so I just added extra keybindings into it. Here's the perfect keybindings that make the mouse just act like a regular mouse:

RWin::Send {Xbutton1}
XButton1::Send {Xbutton2}

(You can swap Xbutton1 and Xbutton2 if you want the windows key to be forward and the little one to be back. I just did it that way because I like the bigger/more accessible button to be back since it's used more often.)

Anyway thank you to everyone I quoted for trying to help.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is there anything in Windows 10 that lets you set up alarms? Like a notification that comes up at a day and time you predetermined.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The alarm and clock app doesn't seem to work for future dates, just for weekly or daily alarms. And I'm hesitant to turn on Cortana. What's Microsoft do with the info it collects? Does it use up processor time/memory? What is Microsoft Edge and how is that related?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

astral posted:

Still sounds like you want Calendar.

Yeah I'm looking at Calendar and it seems to be what I need. What do the reminders for events actually look/sound like?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is there a way to stop Windows 10 from waking up my computer in the middle of the night to try and fail to restart for updates?

Unrelated second question: is there a way to specify executables to be run when Windows 10 starts up?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

is there any way to keep Windows 10 from forcing the "restart outside of normal hours" to finish updates or whatever? It's caused me to lose work twice now.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is it possible to add a new user to Windows 10 without a Microsoft account?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Nevermind I figured it out. They really hide it and make you disclaim a lot of poo poo.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So what's the deal with the creator's update? Should I skip it? Is it possible to?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I installed the Creators Update and now my sound doesn't work so that's pretty fuckin cool

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

All I had to do was change the default playback device from "Speakers (Avnex Virtual Audio Device)" which Windows had changed it to without asking me, back to my actual speakers and it works fine.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is there a way to make Windows Firewall alert you and present choice for what to do when a new program tries connecting to the internet?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Windows 10 keeps making the jingle sound like I'm plugging a new peripheral in, then removing it seconds/minutes later, but not giving me any kind of notifications. Is this a well known bug? Is there a place I can look at the history of what's been plugged and unplugged? Can anything else cause that sound?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Check your event log, this happened to me and it was the windows store updating the built-in apps and it stopped after an hour or two. It's idiotic.

How do I do that?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Right click on the start button, there should be an option called Event Viewer. See if there are a bunch of entries in the Application Log of apps updating that correspond with the sounds.

Okay, in Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application, the log entries don't seem to correspond to the sounds because the most recent entry's half an hour before the most recent sounds.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Geemer posted:

You could give USBLogView a try and see if it's some USB device misbehaving.
My phone likes to randomly reconnect to my work pc when it's charging and causes the disconnect/connect sound to play in Windows.

You can just leave it open until the sound triggers and then take a look at it. If it was a USB thing, it should show up in the list.

Okay thanks, it looks like it was just my mouse driver being weird.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is there a way to get Windows 10 to ask permission before it starts installing updates?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Also is there a way to change the priority of a process in the new task manager?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So what's the deal with the creator's update? Anything new I need to disable or delete?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm encountering an error I've never seen in Windows 10 before. It started while I had a windowed fullscreen app on one monitor and tried tabbing over to another monitor. Clicking on windows no longer brings them to the front. It makes them active, and I can do everything in them I would normally, but other windows are still in front of them even as I work on them.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

How do you view a stoplog in Windows 10? Or more to the point how do I find out what caused my system to crash so badly it had to restart

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Does anyone have a good app that can give you reminders for events for Windows 10, other than the Calendar?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is there any good "reminder" app for Windows 10 that will let you set a date and time for a notification to come up, and if your computer's off at that time it will come up the next time it's on?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The calendar app should do it.

The calendar app won't give me notifications from when my computer was asleep.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

redeyes posted:

Supposedly you need to have 'InstantGo' enabled in the BIOS and also the corresponding software (maybe, hard to tell). Then modern windows apps are supposed to be able to update in sleep mode. I have never actually see it work though.

There's no option for that in Calendar and I don't need it to run while the computer's off, I just need it to display the notification the first time the computer's on instead of going "oh well you missed it, guess there's no point in showing you now"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I just got a notification that my computer's going to restart after updates, is there a way to stop it from doing that?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is it actually impossible to keep Windows 10 from forcing a restart?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I just got a BSOD, is that likely to be caused by faulty memory? What's a good way to check the integrity of my memory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

dont be mean to me posted:

There are hundreds of ways to cause a Windows system to bugcheck. If you didn't catch the name of the bugcheck (it doesn't give the hex for it anymore and the QR goes to a generic page, damnit Microsoft) it should show up in the Event Viewer. It may be something with drivers or Chrome doing weird poo poo with hardware acceleration or something.

If you want to check the memory anyway, Windows Memory Diagnostic is built-in and you can type it in at the Start Menu. Also a lot of people swear by memtest86+.

Where in the Event Viewer should I look? In System, all I'm seeing is what appears to be regular startup stuff, then a critical error that says the system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.

Also would it be better to use the BIOS memory diagnostic or the Windows one?