Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've got pretty used to W10's tablet mode now, all I'm missing in regards to functionality is fullscreen mode for Edge, but I have my taskbar on the left so swiping the bottom of the screen to show or hide isn't an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I cannot enable NUMLOCK once logged into Windows. When I press the key the light doesn't turn on. It is frustrating that every time I have to enter numbers I have to peck at the number row across the top and cannot use the number pad. This was an issue in 8.0, 8.1, and now 10.0.

How old is the keyboard? That sounds like a driver issue.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The point of the free upgrade was to get a group of people who typically don't upgrade their OS (people with functioning systems that they aren't doing a major overhaul of) to upgrade. That's it. Once you're in, you're more likely to pay for a license or otherwise keep your new OS. There was a lot of speculation over whether they were moving to a subscription model for Windows, but apparently it was just what essentially amounts to an extended trial period.

I'd rather they did the temporarily cheap permanent license they did for Windows 8 or a yearly sub, but here we are I guess.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Geemer posted:

So are you saying that if you grab something by the title bar and drag it to the sides, it'll snap to the side without making the window go half-width? If so, I've finally found the one feature in Windows 10 that actually excites me, because it's such a pain manually doing it in Windows 7.

Nnnnnnno. Dragging to the side makes the window half width, dragging to the corner make it quarter width and it pops up a preview of any other open windows so you can quickly snap one to the remaining space if you want to. It's enormously handy.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Does it makes a difference if you switch between tablet or desktop mode? That's made a difference on a couple of sites for me.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

wookieepelt posted:

I disagree. Windows 8.1 was very well designed for tablets. Windows 10 kinda socks though.

Auto-hide the taskbar and set it to tablet mode and it works just as well as Windows 8.1 imo; Edge has turned out to be a good replacement for Metro IE as well, bar a couple of annoyances like no swipe back/forwards yet, and it'll be getting extensions soon as well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Call Me Charlie posted:

Nope. It's garbage on tablets. Same with Edge.

Counterpoint: it's not garbage on tablets. Same with Edge.

Edge is just as useable as IE Metro except you can actually access basic functions like history without having to switch to a separate desktop program, plus it'll have extensions shortly which IE Metro never had, and tablet mode works pretty much the same as 8.1 and better in some ways; the start menu is still full screened, screen splitting still exists when needed (like opening links in an app) but doesn't carve up your entire desktop, swiping from the left still lets you select from your open apps but uses the whole screen rather than a thin sliver, swiping from the right gives you an action center that's more comprehensive than the charm bar.

Everything else isn't as completely geared towards tablet use as 8.1, but not so much that it isn't just as useable for tablets.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Can't really comment on the keyboard thing as I've not noticed it happen to me, but I never got used to the unified settings menu in 8.1 and I'm really glad it's been canned along with the charms bar. I've not had any issue with swiping down for the top bar either, so I guess mileage is going to vary on a few things (plus I have tiny, stubby little fingers that don't tend to have much trouble hitting buttons, so there's that too).

I tried using a bunch of tabs with Edge and the UI is still as smooth as butter with a dozen or so open, but it does seem to slow page loading right down when you get over five or so, so point taken there; I'll add it to the list of reasons why I still don't use it on my desktop.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is there any way of preventing the Start bar from appearing when you swipe up from the bottom, or otherwise easily disabling edge swiping? It occasionally pops up when I'm drawing with my Surface, so being able to stop it for the duration would be great.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is there any way of fixing the fault where a tablet won't come out of sleep properly, where the Start button still vibrates but the display doesn't switch on and usually necessitates either a hard shutdown or waiting for like three hours until it decides it wants to wake up again? I've had it on 8.1 and 10 on two different tablets at this point.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

OneDrive user here! I'm on the basic 50Gb / £0.99p option, so it doesn't sound like I'm affected by any of this.

And before anyone asks why I'm using it... It works super well for me? :shrug: It uploads in a timely manner, the W10 client is completely unobtrusive and when you have W10 on desktop, tablet and phone, it is stupendously convenient. Also it's cheap.

I'm sure Microsoft will find a way to ruin it for me.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Do you? It's always been an option for me.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My desktop is still stuck on build 10240, what's the easiest way of forcing it to update to the current (non-Insider) build?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cool, thanks. I did consider using the tool, but it doesn't tell you what build you're upgrading to when you click install so I wasn't entirely certain what it was planning on doing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Finally got updated to the current build, works a treat, Edge still not got the features it needs to be my daily driver. Cortana being completely unable to search for anything hasn't happened yet, so I assume that got fixed, which was my number one complaint.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is there something wrong with my Calculator app? Half the time it opens behind all the other windows, and even when it's the active window, 95% of the time I have to actively click the number display before it recognises me typing anything on my keyboard. It's the one app that I expect to be really snappy, since I only need to use it for like five seconds at a time, and it's anything but.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, I just updated to the current build a few days ago and it's still a problem. I might check out one of the other calculators in the store.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I maintain that Windows 10 is just as good a tablet OS as 8.1, Edge is much better than IE Metro and if you have trouble hitting any of the UI buttons on your tablet in Edge then you are literally Shrek.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It also appears behind my other windows 99% of the time and won't accept keyboard inputs unless I click the number field. I can't simply hit the calculator button and type. gently caress that calculator app.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I love you.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

After my griping about the calculator, I've had to do a clean install of 10 and it's been working just fine ever since, so gently caress me I guess!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Programs and apps I have full screened on my primary monitor (games, Netflix, etc) keep minimizing as soon as I click the desktop or another window on my secondary monitor, when they never did before. Does anyone have any idea why they're doing that? Chrome doesn't seem to be affected when I fullscreen videos, so it isn't everything.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I have nothing but trouble with mdp; waking my desktop from sleep usually necessitates re-detecting my displays to un-gently caress them, as the dvi monitor displays fine but the mdp monitor changes to 600x800 or something similar.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've recently started using a VPN, and it's broken a bunch of Microsoft services on my desktop; Office (both 2013 and 2016), Groove Music, News, Weather and the Xbox app can't sign in because they apparently can't see my internet connection, despite the News and Weather apps updating content over the internet just fine. OneDrive seems to be able to log in just fine, as can everything non-Microsoft related. Also Chrome is detecting me as being in Germany for some reason, despite the VPN being set to the UK, but I suspect that's a different issue.

I've tried Googling for solutions, but I mostly found a bunch of Enterprise solutions that went over my head. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Is it AnyConnect and does your work push down Cisco Web Security with it?

Cyberghost, and it's on my home desktop, nothing to do with my workplace at all.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Khablam posted:

Don't use free VPNs. You are the product, blah blah blah.

e: This includes any VPN with a free tier, too, as you are essentially beholden to the same EULA even if you pay and they stop throttling / showing ads.

Okay, but I have 11 months left on a subscription as it was half price, so I'd quite like to fix it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Khablam posted:

Seems they do a poo poo load of filtering / block particular services based on the server its on (torrents / P2P) based on protocol inspection so at a guess, they're not allowing those connections for some reason. Possibly a false positive, possibly "protecting you from tracking".
The issue isn't Windows [10] but a bad VPN.

Okay, thanks; I think I can whitelist those services, so I'll look into that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I found a workaround for my VPN issue, I just need to open whatever Microsoft apps I feel like I'm going to want to use first, then connect to the VPN; there doesn't seem to be any issue after that regardless of whether I close and re-open the apps.

That said, would anyone know what server addresses I would need to add to my whitelist so I don't need to mess around with this each time I turn on my computer? Gmail and Outlook were already on there, but Googling for Office and Win 10 apps hasn't helped me.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What are boomers?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh, you literally meant baby boomers. I keep ignoring them in the vague hope that when I next check they'll all be dead.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is there a way of enabling the predictive swipe text from Windows 10 Mobile on desktop? It'd be great on my Surface when I can't flip the keyboard out, but nothing is jumping out at me in Settings.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

While it is pretty lovely for an entire OS to impose itself on you when it feels like it, and with very little warning (15 mins is not enough for something that big), I find it somewhat extraordinary that someone would see a window pop up with a countdown timer, think 'huh, that's a thing I guess', then just minimize it and go about their business and be surprised when something happens.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Still waiting for an update that allows me to arrange icons by penis :smith:
Totally possible if you have a touch device, or are really good at manoeuvring a mouse with your dick.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Facebook app keeps logging me out with an annoying regularity - not during use, but it seems like every couple of days it needs logging back in to. Is that a known issue or is it just terrible?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

10240 was the launch build, so for whatever reason it has not updated you to the current build. Download a fresh copy of the media creation tool (an old copy will only install the old build you're on now) and upgrade Windows using that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

xamphear posted:

Fast Ringers: How is the anniversary update shaping up as compared to Build 10240? I haven't budged from that yet, but I was thinking about sucking it up and upgrade-installing when there's an ISO available with the new summer build.

What's new/good/fixed? What's worse? Have even more control panels disappeared into the Settings app, never to be heard from again? Is it possible to shuffle backgrounds yet without using regedit or digging up a link to the old-style Desktop Background control panel?

Christ alive man, at least update to 10586! That's a public build and it's much less buggy than 10240.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

On the current Insider build of W10 Mobile (143xx, I forget the exact build) I can mark photos as favourites in the Photos app and set the live tile to show those favourites in the settings, but I can't do either of those things on 10586 on desktop. I assume that's just not a part of the current public build?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Windows is asking me if I want to back up my drive encryption key, but I haven't encrypted anything, to the best of my knowledge. I recently set up File History, is that what it means?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nothing is encrypted in Bitlocker, but I just noticed a certificate backup for Mumble in my Documents folder, so I wonder if it has anything to do with that. I did as Windows asked and the .pfx file it created is 2.45kb in size, I'm guessing I can just leave it there and not worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

And they settled on grey?

I know they can't have any old colour in case it clashes with the user's setup, but white is such an obvious choice for Google.