Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
I'm trying to install "Windows subsystem for Linux" using these instructions:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10

At step 4 it tells me to download wsl_update_x64.msi, which I did, but when I run it, this comes up:

What the heck? How can I fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Have you tried right-clicking the install file and running as Administrator?

There is no option to "run as administrator"

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

You can skip this step if you're content with using WSL1 (the one that doesn't use virtualization). But also, WSL2 totally works for me having never installed the Kernel package, so not sure it's even required? Or did it somehow get installed automatically.

When I go to the power shell to start up wsl, I get this

so its definitely not already installed

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That's weird, I've never seen an .exe without the option. See if you can set it to run as admin under Properties > Compatibility?

Its not an exe, its an msi. Also there is no "run as administrator" anywhere in the properties -> compatibility menu.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Weedle posted:

it's an msi, not an exe

school of how, did you reboot after step 3?

That's what it was. I just restarted and now it works.

Restart should be its own step. Each step should include doing only one thing. Also, the installer should say "you need to restart before running this installer", instead of some generic "an error occurred" message.