Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Nvidia Optimus has been a shitshow for as long as I can remember. Nice to see windows 10 hasn't changed that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Segmentation Fault posted:

Quit freaking the gently caress out and realize that literally every other consumer electronics/internet service company you buy poo poo from/sign up for is doing the exact same poo poo.

http://www.logicalfallacies.info/presumption/tu-quoque/

e: I'm sorry but this kind of reasoning really ticks me off.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't give a poo poo what microsoft does to its users, but saying "you shouldn't care about microsoft because someone else does it too" is beyond loving retarded.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's a black and white world, with hyperbole all the way down.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

I'm not saying "you shouldn't care about microsoft because someone else does it too," I'm saying "why focus on Microsoft when literally every other company is doing it too, I don't see you protesting Apple or Google or Facebook."

Because this is a windows 10 thread. Also, I don't use google/apple products because alternatives exist, but I do use windows cause I play games, so this is relevant to me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It collects the user info I let it collect, yes. Much like microsoft.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

tekz posted:

So apparently Microsoft is adding win10's spying bullshit on 8.1 and 7? Is there a guide to turning it off on those systems?

https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking/releases

Sorry for the delay, had to dig it up. This only works on windows 10 at the moment, but I'm sure he'll also fix it for 7 and 8.1, now that microsoft patched them.

e: http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/28/microsoft-intensifies-data-collection-on-windows-7-and-8-systems/
Here are instructions on what you can do now, but it's more than a single click.

So there doesn't seem to be an issue with Microsoft then?

There is when you're suddenly opted into something you explicitly opted out of during install. I know where to disable this poo poo. Most users don't.

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 31, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The Gunslinger posted:

I haven't had time to dump traffic yet, do those actually disable telemetry?

Well it does "disable" it in registry etc., but I don't know if it actually disables it. I don't have windows 10 installed atm so I can't test yet.

As for the things in windows 8.1, I didn't install them and I get zero traffic to microsoft. I'm guessing uninstalling should do the same thing.

Inverness posted:

That "spying bullshit" is itself mostly bullshit conjured by people that can't see past their tinfoil hats.

You'd be best served to extract yourself from the echo chamber surrounding Windows 10's behavior.

I really really don't get why people are defending this. There's plenty of good things in windows 10, but this isn't one of them, just get over it already.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

MY OS CAN DO NO WRONG!!!!

Spoiler: YOSPOS.

Seriously, microsoft isn't your friend, you don't need to defend their bad decisions.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Explain how not wanting to send my metadata to microsoft is bullshit tinfoilhattery.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Skarsnik posted:

No, sorry

Burden of proof is on you for this one, how about how you explain how Microsoft is stealing all your data and the reasoning behind you wanting to create a tinfoil hat?

Bonus points of it includes pictures of nazis
See, this is what I'm talking about. Either microsoft can do no wrong, or microsoft is literally nazi :godwin:
Show me, where I posted about how "microsoft is stealing my data".

The matter of the fact is, however, by default, windows collects user data:

quote:

Windows 10 ("Windows") is a personalized computing environment that enables you to seamlessly roam and access services, preferences and content across your computing devices from phones to tablets to the Surface Hub. Rather than residing as a static software program on your device, key components of Windows are cloud-based, and both cloud and local elements of Windows are updated regularly, providing you with the latest improvements and features. In order to provide this computing experience, we collect data about you, your device, and the way you use Windows. And because Windows is personal to you, we give you choices about the personal data we collect and how we use it. For more information about data collection and privacy in Windows, go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=529552.

You can opt out, but certain updates now silently opt you back in. Why am I getting attacked over this? Why is a guy who just wanted to disable this again getting told "this is all bullshit tinfoil hattery"? Why is our not wanting data getting sent to microsoft suddenly the same as invoking nazis?

Stanley Pain posted:

Please show us a log of all the things that MS is siphoning from your computer.

I can't, because I disabled everything, and I sure am not installing the things. Also, as you probably well know, even if I could show you the data, it's still all encrypted, so I don't see how that helps. There's plenty of reputable sources on the internet showing there is some traffic, though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Windows 10 is the best, but I'm going to wait a couple more months before committing my gaming rig to it, while they sort out the couple issues remaining.

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 1, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It does "something" in that it's a python script that disables all the scattered things in 1 click. But no need to believe me, the source is right there on the page I linked, you can check it yourself!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Nice strawman.

Where did I say it affects you in a negative way? And why does it matter how it affects you? A guy just wanted to turn it off, so I pointed him to the easiest solution I knew about. A lot of people in here, however, seem to take issue with that? Why?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Try it. 7 yes. 10 yes. 8.1 doesn't even recognize that you can change the program associated with the ZIP format in particular and even when setting directly in elevated 7-zip Windows always clawed the association back to Windows File Explorer somehow.

My 8.1 opens files with 7z normally, both at home, and on the computers we have at work. They are all Pro editions, though. Do you have the Home edition? Maybe someone with a home version chime in.

Other than that, I have no idea what could the issue be. Possibly broken registry.

vvvv: Same.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

EasyEW posted:

Just to be clear, is this mainly a combination of the lack of transparency thing and the whole "being Microsoft for the past 25 years" thing? Or is that redundant?

My issue is the lack of transparency. "Being Microsoft" isn't, really. I've been using their products forever, and in the last 5 years they've been getting *a lot* better, so it's not like Microsoft is a bad thing by default or anything. I, however, do not understand why I don't have full access to the data they would like to keep about me. It just seems like a stupid decision to me.

I don't give a poo poo if everything about me is public knowledge, I'm cool with everything google/internet/social media/etc does. Privacy is, for all intents and purposes, dead. Any way you spin it, it's just gone. But then why does Microsoft feel like it has to hide what they're collecting about me? Why do they keep their data about me secret unless I go extreme lengths to retrieve it? Privacy kinda goes both ways. If they're not playing, I won't either. Simple as that. I'm probably biased cause I'm from Eastern Europe and the memory of lovely secret data collection for all kinds of bullshit is still too recent, but it is what it is.

When I can log into my Microsoft (or google or whatever other ~evil corp~ is on the top of the list today) account and browse/edit the same data about me they can, then I'll be totally cool with what they do. Until then, they're getting what I'm getting :shrug:

Speaking of opting out, google search is so much more useful when it can't give you "targeted results". Just because I searched for various Linux docs all last week doesn't mean I want my loving results populated exclusively with useless ask ubuntu results when I google "ctrl caps lock remote desktop", you idiot search engine. :arghfist:

I'm sorry, I'll stop now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I can't decide whether ie4 or ie6 were worse.

I mean, ie4 was worse in every way, sure, but it was at a time when the other browsers was almost just as bad. Meanwhile ie6 was relatively bad when it released, but then also held on to its share for like eleventy years.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, I forgot about that bit. That was hilarious.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It probably isn't and it seems safe to use from what I can gather, but it should never be accessible on a publicly available address anyway.

e;fb

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

When did you last restart your computer before that point?

:laffo:

This particular issue is absolutely a problem with windows, not the user.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe the OS should take dumb users that don't reboot into account and reboot itself when backup isn't running. :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

nielsm posted:

How would it know that the software claiming to perform a backup is actually a legit backup program and not just something else claiming to be? Like say, a program designed just to prevent Windows from installing updates?

because windows backup is made by loving microsoft, they can sign it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

And yeah just using sleep for that is bullshit, batteries don't last forever.

My laptop eats like 5% battery per week in sleep mode, that's basically forever as far as I'm concerned, since I use it daily most of the time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

Go ahead and load up 10 on a 5400 spinner and let me know how it works out.

hello, are you from the past??

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Sudden 100% disk usage has been a thing before windows 10, I've had some machines at work since I think windows 8 suddenly spike to 100% for indefinite amounts of time per day until they got reinstalled, as opposed to it being a thing that kinda comes but then goes away next day before windows 8.

Haven't seen this behaviour lately though. I wanna say since the first major win10 upgrade or so, but possibly a bit later.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Im_Special posted:

I've not run into this either, like, disk activity spikes when it does things sure, but 100% for a period of time? nope.

But enough seem to get it that it's definitely a thing, sure enough front page of Windows 10 subreddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7aijo5/100_disk_usage_windows_10_please_help/

Yeah, that's exactly the thing I saw on some laptops, but like I said, not lately. Then again, we haven't had any brand spanking new laptops at work lately, maybe it's just another case of terrible drivers coupled with microsoft competence at work.

vvvv: in my case it was always program a or windows defender service scanning poo poo program a wants to open, aka useless, it just pointed at disk being ridiculously slow because it showed 100% usage at like 1MB/s on a SSD, but since it was intermittent I could never figure out what the gently caress until it eventually stopped.

Truga fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 3, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Many games just didn't care, so I had to bind y and z to the same thing in case I hit alt+shift and it switched layouts :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

uvar posted:

I picked up one of the 'Mixed Reality' headsets recently (unwanted Christmas gift, more fool them). Is there a thread for VR outside the one in Games? That one's unsurprisingly just videogame opinions and Rift/Vive debate.

Well, what else is there? The resolution isn't high enough yet for them being a decent desktop monitor replacement, as much as I'd love it to be, and won't be for a year or two more when 2nd gen headsets start releasing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You gave your real name to microsoft? :rip:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I used to have the insanely high cpu usage/system interrupts issue at work on random machines, and unplugging extra disk drives fixed those. Try starting your troubleshooting there.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You can and should exclude c:\git or whatever you use from AV scanning. Even nod32 will make your dev work a world of poo poo, maybe it's less than defender but the impact is probably still fairly large.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I remember about a decade ago I worked at a java shop that switched to nod32, and nod32 insisted on extracting and scanning every single jar file every time it got accessed.

cue users going "why is idea suddenly taking 6 minutes to open my projects???" :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Use microsoft's iso loader to make an install usb, yeah.

e: "media creation tool"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Hit up ebay, pro licences for less than $5 are a thing now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's been user hostile since at least win95, tell me something new :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nam Taf posted:

Yeh, so do it once a day or something when it takes literally second(s, sometimes) to download and install and does not require a reboot. I mean they only push Defender patches twice a day as is and you simply just ignore it (or press the X) in the action bar if you want to wait on it. That's hardly a big issue, surely?

Stop trying to justify simply being bad at computers, it has worked since the beginning of time itself. You, not Microsoft, are the cause of all your special snowflake issues with your PC.

:frogout:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, redeyes should probably also get out, but I haven't touched anything about my windows configuration and it's now slow as gently caress doing certain basic things like alttabbing (takes 2-5 seconds) and opening task manager or file exploder (takes up to a minute now).

One of the random updates did this a few weeks ago. There is no fix on the horizon, other than "flatten and reinstall and maybe it'll be fixed then".

Yes, I'm cranky because windows is a pos os. It's the best windows yet, but it's still not *good*. Also "just manually install this virus update every single day" is an incredibly dumb alternative to "automatically install all my updates", come on.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Well, windows decided to install 1709 a couple days ago, and now my game desktop is working well again. Even task manager, which took a literal minute to open after a couple days of uptime opens instantly now.

:shrug:

Alpha Mayo posted:

i'm gonna install Windows XP with hacked DirectX10 files and Embedded POS updates, for maxxximum framerates

afaik a fresh install of win10 is going to give you better performance in most games these days. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Also, here's a random reminder that different people can get the big windows updates at completely different, seemingly random times.

i.e. a few boxes at my work only received the last big windows update this week. Yes, they're all set to update automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
hibernation is dumb and poo poo and eats up 12.5% of my ssd for something I never use and keeps turning itself on after every major update