Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I'm hoping this thread can help me out, because Google is failing me: I can't seem to connect to any of Microsoft's servers. Windows Update shows the loading dots indefinitely, the Windows Store 'stumbles' and returns the error '0x801901F7', and all the games that need to connect to my xbox account hang on their title screens or soon after. (no bingo :qq:) Not sure if this is related or not, but my Facebook and Twitter apps have stopped pushing notifications to my Action Centre.

I haven't changed anything (that I know of..) and my internet connection is just fine. This has been happening for a few days, so I don't think waiting it out is going to change anything. I've tried running 'wsreset.exe', but it just opens the store, which fails the same way as before. I've done a thorough virus checking of the pc (rkill, TDSSKiller, Malwarebytes, avast!), so I'm fairly confident there's nothing blocking the connection that way. I imagine I need to clear some cache or something, but I can't seem to find anything.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

So I've been reading the Operating Systems Security thread in the tech support subforum, and they seem to be of the opinion that all antivirus are equally worthless and one should just go with the one that causes the least issues. On 7 I installed avast! once I heard MSE had gone to poo poo, and kept it around in 10 mostly out of habit. Aside from the occasional popup to tell me that a scan completed successfully, and denying their lovely firefox plugins, I've never had an issue with it. But now that I'm on 10, should I switch to simply using the built-in Defender, or is that a bad plan? Is Defender the same deal as MSE where it was better than nothing but not by much?

My browser is about as locked-down as possible and I put every new download through VirusTotal, so I'm not too worried about anything getting in that way. I'm asking here because I feel like I know what response I'll get in that thread.

Also, I was excited to upgrade to 10 because I'd heard there'd be BitLocker for everyone. Turns out that was false and I am without BitLocker. Is there a universally accepted (preferably free) full-disk encryption solution for 10? Should I just shell out however much it costs to upgrade to Pro? I can't seem to find anyone who comes to an agreement via google.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I've had Windows 10 since it was released, but I've recently decided to try setting up Cortana. I've got through to the part where it asks me to set up my microphone, and I read the sentence about Peter and pens, and it says I'm done and I press Finish, but then when I return to Cortana, it asks me to 'pick back up' and set up my microphone, as if I never did the exercise. Is there something I'm missing?