Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, what should I do about my system getting the spinning dots of death in the middle of the upgrade? It's been on this black screen with spinning dots for about 2 hours now after restarting a couple of times.

Should note this is a dual-boot system with Mint and I accidentally let it auto go to Mint once because I missed the reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Probably in a few weeks. I'm actually just heading out in a few minutes to pick up all the parts, but it'll be on hold until I can get my hands on a non-FE/Turbo 1080 TI video card.

I mean, if you can, it may be worth it to just wait until Creators gets an iso and save yourself a possible upgrade headache.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Am I rolling the dice now with steadfastly refusing to use online accounts and still use Local Accounts for my Win 10 installs? I mean, I make sure to Macrium Reflect images before every major feature update and all, but now I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and ensure I can easily re-authenticate my keys should worst come to worst. The next update in the fall looks set to be a rather major UI change, and I might no get so lucky again with my rather painless upgrades like I did for Anniversary and Creators.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Got a weird random STOP/Bugcheck on boot up. I had just restarted after quickly dual-booting Mint to run its package updater, and the STOP happened about half a second after the Windows 10/Macrium Reflect selection screen. Booted fine on the restart, but still a bit worrying. Event Viewer thinks I didn't shut down Windows properly last shut down even though I did. CrystalDiskCheck says the hard drive is fine, and its a Western Digital I just installed it fresh a couple years ago anyway (yes, I was a moron who didn't upgrade to SSD when I had the chance).

Not looking for help, just posting the anecdote in case there really is a random STOP thing going around in Creator's.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just set up a task to automatically shut down people's machines after five minutes of no hard drive read/write activity.

I find that breaks bad habits pretty fast. Plus it makes sure the updates are always installed!

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, does the trick with installing Win10 fresh with a Win7 key from off eBay still work? A plan I've been toying with is to Clean Install Windows 10 onto an old Dell Inspirion currently running Vista so that it can continue to be safely used as a Facebook/Email/Online shopping machine for my parents. Classic Shell should quell their complaints about the Start menu. It was a luxury model a decade ago and thus it meets the Win10 minimum specs, so that's not an issue.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Installing Win10 32-bit on the old Dell Inspiron 1720 has been a miserable failure so far. I've tried formatting the OS partition and Clean Installing three times, with all usb devices besides the installation stick unplugged, switched off the wifi, and kept the ethernet unplugged, and it still hangs with no drive activity on the Logo with the spinning dots screen after restarting after the "Getting Ready" spinning dots sequence.

Windows Startup Repair can't fix the issue, and sfc /scannow reports no violations. I'm about ready to just say screw it and attempt a Win7 install instead in an attempt to get the machine into any kind of usable state at this point.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 12, 2017

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
When I bought the laptop, I specifically ordered an nVidia card put in it. Only has 128 mb of video memory which is :lol: for games today, but it should still work fine for the basic facebook, email, banking, and shopping it'll be doing these days.

I installed 32-bit since that's what the version of Vista installed on it was, guess I could try the 64-bit version and see if that helps, along with the partitioning stuff. I sure didn't see even basic drivers in the recovery partitions when I browsed through 'em before hand. I tried to update the bios, but the flasher won't run unless the battery is at least 10% charged, and the battery has been stone dead for years now.

EDIT: Yeah, that didn't change a thing. Time to burn a Win7 disk.

EDIT2: Okay, Win7 Pro 64-bit installed fine. It's almost maxing out the 2 GB of memory though, so I guess I'll have to pick up another 2 GB stick to throw in it. I tried to do the Win10 updater anyway, but it wouldn't let me through without either Win7 being activated or a Win10 key, and it didn't accept the Win7 key I had for the prompt. I'm guessing it won't work if I activate Win7 with the key and try to upgrade to Win10?

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 12, 2017

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I read an article about a new security feature in the Fall Creators update but isn't on by default. It's called "Controlled Folder Access", and it's under Windows Defender Security Center > Virus & Threat Protection > Virus & Threat Protection Settings. Apparently, it's supposed to be the new anti-ransomware feature in that it stops unauthorized programs from making edits to files in your personal folders: it only protects the default folders under User/(User Name) by default, but you can add more obviously.

Now, it says it'll let known good apps through... but what power user only uses the default Windows apps or crap from the Windows Store? So far, I've had to whitelist VLC and ShareX to let them change their own config files. Might be a good safety feature in the future, but until its whitelisting becomes more comprehensive/everything shifts over to the Windows Store, it's probably for the best it remain off by default for the time being.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zenostein posted:

It works just fine, thank you.

Same, I had to replace my laptop's dying 5400 with a new one, and reinstalling Win7 onto it and then upgrade to Win10 a few months later went fine. Typing from it right now, updated to Fall Creators and still running a treat.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Classic Shell is the compromise that allowed me to upgrade my family's machines to Win10. If that ever went away, they'd start loudly demanding I bring back their old Vista/7 installs. Lots of people aren't power users.

Besides, being able to sequester the lovely UWP apps away from the list of programs I actually use is oh-so-nice.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'd say just buy a 32 or 64 GB flash drive and just keep it around for this express purpose, they're cheap enough. I use mine for general storage on my softmodded Wii, and just copy the contents to a desktop when I need to use it as an install media, then reformat and copy everything back when that's done, but that's mostly me being a cheapass.

Also, if need be, you can have Win10 do a wipe and Clean Install after doing the upgrade and making sure it authenticated alright in case any weirdness crops up, since MS just keeps your Mobo+processor hash on their servers when authenticating Win10. It's real easy to reinstall and get going again even without linking to a Microsoft online account.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alpha Mayo posted:

They open sourced it. I will use Classic Shell until nuclear hellfire wipes me off this planet.

Yeah, the moment Classic Shell actually breaks will also be the exact moment a fork is announced that all us CS users will flock to.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Im_Special posted:

Ah that fresh OS smell, don't forget to disable Fast Startup and delete that Hibernate File! Alright bye.

Supposedly, they'll stop doing this poo poo with all the updates after this one, so this should be the last time we have to do this poo poo.

Should be.

Also, remember to manually turn on logging for the diagnostic data in the Settings > Privacy > Diagnostics & feedback, and download the Windows Store app that actually let's you read the file. Which is still in a nigh-incomprehensible raw JSON format. Technically transparent, just in a way that's functionally meaningless to anyone who's not a current Microsoft engineer!

I especially like how they explicitly strongly urge you to turn the logging off after a few days, on the flimsy pretense it could take up to one whole gigabyte of space, oh nooooo.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 1, 2018

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
why does skype keep coming back like herpes, this is the third time i've had to uninstall it since updating to 1803

And yes, I do have the silent app install registry entry set to 0.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kerning Chameleon posted:

why does skype keep coming back like herpes, this is the third time i've had to uninstall it since updating to 1803

And yes, I do have the silent app install registry entry set to 0.

Update: This is happening every single day now, I know because I get a notification about "Skype is now linked to your Microsoft Account..." whenever it happens. Interestingly, this is only happening to the machine I have linked to a Microsoft Account, the Local Account machines aren't doing this.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This is the exact reason I always manually back up files and take a Macrium image like the day before I do a feature update, despite the fact I've never had more than very minor annoyances with the upgrades.

stop reinstalling skype, goddamnit

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is anyone else having an issue where the Antimalware Service Executable keeps the hard drive maxed out? I got this week's and I noticed my laptop running much slower than usual last night, and it maintained that all throughout today, and the ASE appears to be the culprit.

It is a HDD, but it's usually quite tolerable and the error log looked clean. I did adjust the task settings to only work on hour long idles and added ASE to Defender's exclusion list, then manually checked for updates tonight and restarted twice, but the issue persists.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 14, 2018

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Okay, now I know for a fact something is up with this last Cumulative update, at least with 5-6-year-old Lenovo Ideapads using HDDs. My sister's laptop just installed the latest update, and now the Windows' processes are maxing out system resources and slowing everything down immediately following reboot. I'm now trying to see if running Disk Cleanup and clearing out the update leftovers will help any.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lambert posted:

Just let it sit for a while.

I've been letting it sit. For hours. Every day for the last week and a half. It never releases control of the CPU. And that's not when it slams the hard drive for hours on end.

EDIT: I note things seem to go back to normal on my laptop at least when I used the registry key to disable Windows Defender, but that's obviously not a viable long term solution.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 22, 2018

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'd back up again as recently as possible, and blow away the windows install and just reinstall it.

That did it, I think. Now if I could just get Linux Mint properly reinstalled as well, it doesn't seem to be able to be able to stick the grub loader in there. Off topic, though.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is there anything like DDU for sound drivers? I updated my mom's old Dell desktop to the April Update, and now whenever she plays any audio whatsoever, it periodically distorts like it's shorting out. It does this regardless of port used or output device used (tried both speakers and headphones in different ports), and it didn't do this before I installed all those updates, so I figure it has to be a driver problem.

I tried using the Win10 Sound troubleshooter tool, which messed around with uninstall/reinstalling drivers, and like usual it proved entirely worthless for fixing the problem. I just want to uninstall the sound drivers, install the last known good drivers for the machine from... uh, the Vista era, then use the GP setting to disable all future driver updates from Windows Update. Is there a third-party app I can use to make uninstalling the drivers easily, or do I just have to do it the old-fashioned way through Device Manager?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's amazing how each successive feature version has had logarithmically fewer new features I care about than the last.

At this point I'm just upgrading day 1 to preempt the annoying restart dialog rather than to see what new things Microsoft are beta testing now.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Wow, this version is so new it showed me the "What's New" webpage for the April Update when it started. And also where the link for it under updates take me.

Had to go into the Tips app nobody uses to see what the difference are. Turns out it's dumb bullcrap I'll never use, like usual, yay.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Okay, what the hell does "We couldn't update the system reserved partition" mean? Because it's preventing the update from going through on my laptop.

Is this the same problem that kept grub from being able to install on the machine when I tried to dual-boot install Mint? Goddamn it, I don't want to have to pave this machine again after just three months.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghostlight posted:

It usually means the system partition is too small. I had that on my first feature update because I still had a 100MB partition from Windows 7. It should be 450-500MB.

Okay, I let Win10 1803 installer do it's thing on a paved drive, so that's Windows' fuckup, but whatever, how do I expand it, Disk Management is greying the option out on that partition, and I have 50GB worth of unallocated space.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghostlight posted:

If that's the case you're better off ignoring it.

You can only resize partitions to include space directly on their right-side, so you would have to clone your drive off, remove the partition, resize the system reserved partition, recreate the OS partition then clone your drive back on.

I'm reading this as "just pave and reinstall" then, got it.

Klyith posted:

If windows made an adequate system partition (400 - 500mb) then the problem isn't that it's too small but that it's somehow gotten full of junk.

You could try using disk cleanup to clean all the system restore points (disk cleanup -> clean up system files -> more). I think that will hit the restore partition?

No, the partition is very clearly 100MB. Maybe the problem is I didn't truly pave it with dban, but just told Windows Setup to just delete the old partitions and install over the now unallocated space?

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 3, 2018

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Klyith posted:

or just use a better partition editor than window's built in disk manager

MS's own help article on the subject tells people to use minitool partition wizard.

Alright, that did it. There was a funny tiny little partition in between the reserved and OS partition that didn't show up on Windows' default disk manager that I had to delete, and the system seems initially slow as it tries to find all the files that got shifted over 400mb physically, but otherwise it seems fine. Point is, the update went through, and unlike my desktop, the sound drivers didn't stop working and have to be replaced with the generic Microsoft ones. Might even be able to get grub working now and be able to use Linux again.

And even if it screwed up, I can just pave it all anyway, I didn't put anything vital on this machine after backing up and imaging just before trying to update. Thanks.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Im_Special posted:

Geez MS, don't you test your stuff.

How can something like this be missed. /s

What are you talking about, everyone knows 37 Exabytes adds up to exactly one Terabyte! :downs:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I press the "Check for Updates" button on release days because Microsoft decided to take away my ability to wait for a more convenient time for the updates, and this is how I can make it feel like I still have some measure of control over my machine. If I wait, Microsoft will eventually start nagging me at some unspecified but inconvenient time to restart my computer and begin the arduous install process. At least with the button I can feel as though I'm getting the nasty business out of the way on my own terms, even if I'm truly not doing that either.

Anyway, on Win10 business, I sure do appreciate Windows reminding me to add family accounts for the children I do not and never will have. On every Win10 machine I use.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What's the fix for a recurring sound buzz regardless of output (speakers, headphones, all ports) after an upgrade from Fall Creators to April 2018 on a decade-old Dell desktop? I tried the audio troubleshooter, but messing with drivers didn't help at all, and I don't upgrading the machine further to 1809 will help much. At this point, I'm thinking of just slotting in a new sound card and sidestepping the issue entirely.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

isndl posted:

Are you using Windows-supplied drivers or Dell-supplied ones? I've read some of their recent XPS laptops could have static/buzz if you used generic sound drivers instead of the Dell customized ones, and maybe your decade old device is the same way.

Or maybe you have some capacitors going bad, which isn't terribly surprising for something that old either.

I tried to get the old drivers off the Dell website, but either they weren't available, or there was no change anyway. Something about the newer Win10 version just doesn't agree with the machine, I guess, because it worked fine before the April Update.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is there a way to make the 1809 upgrade not automatically install video driver updates? I tried to upgrade an old Lenovo IdeaPad laptop from 03 to 09, but it keeps installing an unsupported video driver update. The update won't work on the system, causing it to hard crash with severe graphics glitches on Windows boot. I have to let it boot several times to revert the upgrade, then go in in Safe Mode to DDU/Known Good Driver Install to get back to functionality.

I already set the Group Policy to not install drivers updates as part of regular monthly Windows Update to workaround this, but I know of no way to do the same for the 1809 upgrade. Which the computer, having now downloaded, will continue to attempt to install automatically despite the known failure.

Is there a setting in the upgrade I'm not aware? Do I need to roll the dice with a :pave:, install 1809 clean offline, then apply the GP to prevent the driver update? Or am I just hooped and will need to tell the person to buy a new laptop?

On a related note, I have a decade-old Dell desktop that has a failing video card and apparently no integrated graphics to fall back on. We're thinking about a replacement card (it's a mom machine, so only a very cheap and basic card would be needed), but I'm also considering just harvesting the SSD and power supply (which were replacements I bought) and use them to just cheaply construct a new machine. In that case, is it possible to transfer the Win10 Pro license from the Dell to the new machine? The key was a Win7 one bought off that guy in SA-Mart, not a digital entitlement or anything.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, Keepass if you have a certain tolerance for open source UI, or the 1Password usability tax if you don't (or you need shared accounts).

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Why does my six-year-old Lenovo laptop keep randomly Blue Screening? Over the last six months, I've gotten intermittent "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" errors, and they always occur either when hibernation fucks up the the middle of the night for whatever reason, or when I'm messing around with windows when pulling up like a Twitch stream or whatever.

Googling the problem just suggests a bunch of random "driver bad, did you gently caress with your hardware or updates?" posts, but I haven't had driver updates or any changes to the hardware in that time. I rarely even plug in my usb wireless mouse into it anymore. CrystalDiskInfo shows the three-year-old HDD is fine, and I did a couple Memtest passes a few months ago that came up clean as well.

Also, I fresh reinstalled Win10 1809 late last October, so it's not like there's any prior version cruft to blame here.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

kirbysuperstar posted:

Log readers like WhoCrashed can often point out if it's a specific driver that's causing it

WhoCrashed spat this out for the last one (it was a hibernate failure, fyi):

quote:

On Mon 4/8/2019 3:46:09 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040819-37531-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1B35E0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0xFF, 0xC8, 0xFFFFF8042278FAFE)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 4/8/2019 3:46:09 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalFlushCommonBuffer+0x6CE)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0xFF, 0xC8, 0xFFFFF8042278FAFE)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Connsider using WhoCrashed Professional which offers more detailed analysis using symbol resolution. Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you.

Is this Greek I'm not parsing, or is it really just saying :shrug:?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's pretty vague, yeah..

If I had to guess, some driver is maybe really misbehaving with Hibernate and crashing the HAL pretty bad?

Yeah, I'm gonna try a restart with Driver Verifier next to see if I can provoke the issue.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I had to uninstall and reinstall the sound drivers and then tell the audio device troubleshooter to turn on the microsoft drivers on my desktop again this upgrade, and had to delete a reg entry to stop a new desktop boot error from my logitech mouse's update program, but other than that an uneventful upgrade day.

well, i also learned i have to reinstall classic shell every once in a while to renew the certificate so it can have admin privileges to configure itself for the new windows build

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Noticed 1903 now intercepts U2F requests on websites. Works fine for Chrome, but breaks Thunderbird and third-party sandboxes. Dunno about Firefox.

Rather annoying, that. At least OG Keepass with KeeChallenge still works fine, else I'd be locked out of all my accounts on Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm getting tired how having to pave and clean install W10 on my 2013-era IdeaPad every six months because it consistently fails to install basic security updates for some reason. I can't afford to replace it, and I do most of my Windows only tasks on my desktop these days, so I'm considering just pulling the trigger on just making it a dedicated Linux Mint machine already.

The only reason it's not already dual-boot is ever since W10 came along, GRUB2 suddenly can't install/update properly anymore no matter how much I fiddle with the BIOS and Secure Boot settings.