Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Dumb question about windows licenses:

I am currently running an old machine I built with OEM Win 7. I am on the cusp of building a new machine to replace it and I would like to avoid having to buy another copy of Windows if I can manage.

I don't have any experience transferring licenses across machines. Will I run into any trouble if I simply plug my key into the new machine and then stop using the old one? Will I need to call Microsoft and make up a story about how I "replaced some parts" in my computer? If I do that successfully, will anything bad happen if the old machine ever connects to the internet and phones home to Microsoft or whatever it is Windows does to verify authenticity? Does any of this change if I do the Win 7 to 10 upgrade on the new machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
So Microsoft's recent press push to remind people to upgrade to Win 10 has hit me and I'm finally feeling like I had better do it sooner than later.

I'm on a Win 7 machine that I built about 6 months ago, I've never done an in-place upgrade on Windows before, only ever fresh installs or reformatting. Is there anything I should be advised of before I finally yield to the annoying upgrade reminder in the taskbar and let it rip?

My understanding is that theoretically all my programs and media should all stay in place and continue to be functional right out of the box when I upgrade, is that correct? Will I have to do anything weird with drivers or any other stuff I might not be thinking of? I use an SSD for my boot drive and a HDD for my media, for reference if it matters.

Any other configuration tips in general for a first time Windows 10 user? I remember reading about some kerfuffles involving Windows spying on users, and some stuff about Win 10 automatically pushing updates whether you want it to or not.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 5, 2016