Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Killingyouguy! posted:

So I've been reading the Operating Systems Security thread in the tech support subforum, and they seem to be of the opinion that all antivirus are equally worthless and one should just go with the one that causes the least issues. On 7 I installed avast! once I heard MSE had gone to poo poo, and kept it around in 10 mostly out of habit. Aside from the occasional popup to tell me that a scan completed successfully, and denying their lovely firefox plugins, I've never had an issue with it. But now that I'm on 10, should I switch to simply using the built-in Defender, or is that a bad plan? Is Defender the same deal as MSE where it was better than nothing but not by much?

My browser is about as locked-down as possible and I put every new download through VirusTotal, so I'm not too worried about anything getting in that way. I'm asking here because I feel like I know what response I'll get in that thread.

Also, I was excited to upgrade to 10 because I'd heard there'd be BitLocker for everyone. Turns out that was false and I am without BitLocker. Is there a universally accepted (preferably free) full-disk encryption solution for 10? Should I just shell out however much it costs to upgrade to Pro? I can't seem to find anyone who comes to an agreement via google.

You can get a PRO key for 35$ on certain subreddits if you're willing to ignore the questionable source.

I've recently been looking for a WDE program as well, not having a ton of luck. I've had a decent experience with Symantec's PGP offering at work, but I'm not really sure what the personal versions are like (I imagine fairly similar) and they're around 85$ each.

I've heard BitLocker's level of security is questionable given their relationship with the govt, but that's probably true of most mainstream products.

PBS fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

The Lord Bude posted:

He swears he was never presented with any such option - isn't the default setting to preserve all files? I'll present the Recuva option to him in the morning. I'm mainly trying to figure out if anyone has ever heard of the upgrade stuffing up in this way.

If you want to go the Recuva route you're better off presenting it now and having him not use the computer at all. If he's not using there's less chance of overwriting the deleted files.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

The Lord Bude posted:

Actually he he rang me just now (he'd gone to bed just before I posted before) - after he shut down last night, when he powered the computer back up, the computer finished installing and all his stuff was suddenly there. Very strange that the computer let him log in last night, and use the computer for a while, when it hadn't finished the migration. I never thought to check something like that, though it was hard to get a word in edgewise through the screaming.

Those are always the best problems, the ones that solve themselves.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Little Mac posted:

I have a weird problem...

So I had a friend build a computer for me a few years back and he used a pirated copy of Windows 8 Pro. I upgraded to Windows 10 with the same Windows and was recently bombarded with a bunch of "Activate Windows" watermarks. So I went and bought Windows 10 on the Microsoft store, buying Windows 10 Home as it was the cheapest. I am now finding myself having trouble switching out my version.

Essentially, I can't use the key to activate what I have since I bought Home and have Pro. So I downloaded the installer to a USB. If I run the installer while logged in it automatically says I am choosing to install Windows 10 Pro, which is kinda confusing. Then if I boot from the USB I either get the option to wipe completely (which is bad as I do not have enough backup space to save all of my necessary files) or it says go into Windows and install.

I just want to go legit. Why is it making it hard for me? :(

You can buy pro keys online for about 35$.

How much free space do you have on the drive, how much space would it take to backup your files?

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Richard M Nixon posted:

That's great news. I haven't gone through the thread so I'll go hunt for the post now. I just downloaded the tool so here's hoping. One less step would make me very happy.

Let us know. I thought you could only use the old key if doing an upgrade.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

hooah posted:

I have that laptop and it only has an SSD. What is this second drive?

Believe it has two storage bays if you open it up

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Paranoid Peanut posted:

I dunno if somebody else has run into something similar, but I'm having some weird issues with Win10.

I put together a new machine and installed just fine, straight to Win10 64 Home version. Everything was working fine until it decided to update itself... it proceeded to install the update, but got hung up at 97% for ~8 hrs. After that, I had to manually power off and restart the machine from its physical buttons. While it was booting back up, it displayed a "Returning to previous version of Windows" message.

Now I'm currently experiencing these symptoms:
1. Whenever I restart it, either from the start menu option or from the case's physical button, it'll come back with no network connectivity until I physically shut it down and power it on later. It says the network drivers failed to load, which is bullshit b/c they're the latest drivers and they work fine afterwards.

2. The system won't sleep/hibernate correctly. Either option seem to make it crash silently and render it unable to recover, which forces me to power it on from the case's button.

Should I just reformat everything and do a fresh reinstall, or would it be better to learn to live w/o sleep, hibernate and reboot?

You could spend a lot of time diagnosing the issue or reformat, whichever is faster.

Poster above mentions the refresh tool, may be worth doing first but I've never had a lot of luck.

Alternatively you could try the update again and see if it fixes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

blue squares posted:

windows 10 update system is such garbage

Mine's been failing to update for several months. Upgrade tool doesn't work either.

I've used it a few days total, hasn't been imaged for more than a few months. Haven't really done anything to cause issues yet.