Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Zero VGS posted:

Cool, go buy one from the Microsoft store for $200 like a big idiot then.

Or spend $9 on an eBay key, here's a guy who's sold 300 of them with positive feedbacks for all: [url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windows-7-Pro-COA-Windows-7-Professional-COA-RAM-COVER-Phone-Activation-/181947244712[/]

Thanks for this, I just bought two to legitimize a couple of Win7 installs I have installed on test boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's my Windows 10 story, thanks for listening.

At one point, Win7 pushed out a driver update for my Realtek onboard network hardware that does-not-work, and every time major updates happen, it reverts to this useless driver. I went and got the right driver direct from Realtek and keep it on a thumbdrive for when this happens.

You might think about getting the hardware ID for your non functioning Ethernet, plugging it into Google, finding out what it is, then going to the manufacturer's site to get another driver that will work. It'll save future headaches.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Aranan posted:

Is there any reason for me to make a Microsoft account vs just using local accounts? I do not have a windows phone or xbox, I do not use the contacts in Windows, and Cortana does not seem like something I would ever use either.

I'm in the same position that you are and have just used a local account on several machines with no ill effects. Been doing it for almost a year, hassle-free.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Unexpected posted:

Hi,

I'm sorry if it's been asked before but is there a way to bring back old (Win 7) desktop gadgets? I have recently upgraded to Win 10 and miss my clocks, calendar, stock price tracker, RSS feed headers and various hardware monitors (CPU and GPU load/temperature, network use, etc.)

Thanks.

I felt the same way and found 8Gadgetpack works very well with Win8, 8.1 and early builds of Win10 - the app itself works fine with the Anniversary Edition but some of the gadgets don't, particularly those that monitor network stuff.

Caveats: 1) running a bunch of gadgets noticeably slows down boot time with spinny discs, but with an SSD, it's barely noticable. 2) as someone else mentioned, it drills down deeply into your OS, so security is a concern; that said, I've run it on four desktops for the last couple years without any issue. But if it ends being a long con that adds your machine to a botnet, please don't blame me.
3) Large OS updates will remove it and you'll have to reinstall, but it's quick to do so.

The author keeps it updated well, I think the current version is 20.0, and it comes with a bunch of popular gadgets.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 26, 2016

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Defender turns itself off when it detects another AV. It's pretty much the consensus nowadays(at least here at SA) that Defender is superior to aftermarket AV's due to the latter being security risks.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Node posted:

God damnit. I'm trying to delete the Windows and Program Files folders from an old hard drive which had an old version of Windows 7 on it. I'm on Win10, of course. Every time I try to delete it, it says I 'need to provide administrator permissions to delete this folder.' I click continue, with the shield icon on it, then another popup says 'You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder.'

I set the owner of that folder and its child folders to Administrators. I'm the only account Windows 10 has and I'm pretty drat sure I am administrator. I've read various sites that explain how to fix it, but they all don't actually change anything. They tell me to set the folder permissions to the administrator account, which I've already done. I really don't want to reformat this drive just to delete three folders. Is there any way it can be done?

I can post this in the help forum if necessary, I'm just hoping there is a quick fix I can get here. Thanks.

I tried everything and couldn't get rid of a Windows.old folder; finally I gave up and used Unlocker to delete the entire thing. It takes awhile, but Unlocker will delete anything, plus it's a tiny free utility.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Personally, I think the Win10 changes are geared more toward 'aping Apple' than a nefarious plot to serve ads, (although the ad thing is certainly an added monetization bonus). Which is kinda dumb, IMO, because drat near every MacOS fan that I know of hasn't been particularly happy with the last few versions.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

isndl posted:

At least it runs better than Windows Millennium Edition!

Trigger warning plz.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I bought a couple of $5 Win7 keys online and they sent me two chunks of plastic from the back of a laptop that had the stickers on them - they activated fine.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Another person running a relic here - P8P67le w/3770K, still humming along fine, triple-booting XP, Win7, and Win10. Win10 needed no additional drivers to do it's thing.

I'd check the RAM w/Memtest for awhile before condemning the mobo, bad RAM will give you plenty of inexplicable errors.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Stanley Pain posted:

Why? Especially Win XP?

The XP drive dates from the Core2Quad days; I just popped it back in when I updated to Ivy Bridge, installed drivers and left it. There's a ton of old games on it that have issues with newer OS's. When a new OS comes out, I just throw another drive into the box and install it, save a lot of hassle that way.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Run it in a virtual machine, good lord man. :psyduck: And why would you dual boot 7 and 10, for that matter?

Running a 3D game on a standard desktop install of VMware has never worked very well, if at all, for me.

I know you can run a hypervisor setup and pass the video card directly to the guest OS, but that sounds like a poo poo-ton of hassle compared to 'leaving old hard drive in the machine and changing boot order in the BIOS on the rare occasion when nostalgia strikes'.

As for the 7-10 thing, I've always done it that way; install the new OS, play around with it as teething troubles go away and apps are updated, but you still have old faithful to go back to if things go bad(and Win10 has had a few issues). Eventually you'll spend 90% of your time on the new OS, cool.

Having a little-used drive still hooked up to the machine doesn't hurt anything-SSD's use little power and don't make noise, and if you gently caress something up on the primary OS, you're not boned.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Is Dell still using BTX? They were on that for quite a while while everybody else gave up on it and I thought that was why the connector was different.

Nah, they went BTX during the Pentium D/early Core2 Duo/Quad era, but went back to ATX by the time the 45nm Core chips were released.

I converted an XPS 700 from BTX to ATX form factor because I liked this case so much and BTX had no upgrade path, but it was not a fun job.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

KillHour posted:

OS as a service is a stupid idea and in 2 years, MS will make us all buy a Windows subscription if we want network connectivity outside of the Windows app store just like the XBOX. And if you're on Windows 10 now, you literally will not have an option to avoid it.

Eh, bullshit. People have been saying this since at least Windows XP and it ain’t happened yet. I’m sure Microsoft would love to see it, but even Redmond knows it would be an utter disaster for the company.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

bobfather posted:

powercfg -h off is the first thing I do in every system I set up. Fight me but you'll lose.

I do that too, but that’s ‘cause I dual-boot(or even triple-boot) and hibernation on Win10 causes NTFS to go insane with errors when booting a different OS then going back to Win10.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

TOOT BOOT posted:

I feel like I inhabit some alternate reality where Windows updates go smoothly, Windows never restarts without giving me adequate prompts, and where all the dumb ad poo poo is ignorable and not something that has to be dug out by the roots.

:same:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

So I was wondering for a while now why my NAS doesn't show up in the Network tree in Explorer. Turns out, SMB1 was axed a while ago, which the computer browsing stuff relied on, and now does discovery of SMB capable servers only via WS-Discovery, which Samba doesn't do (yet). You could reinstall SMB1 via the features thingy, but it's exploitable as hell apparently. Meh.

Yeah, I went nuts after the update that turned off SMB1 by default, WHERES MY loving NAS GODDAMNIT, IT WAS HERE 45MINUTES AGO? I eventually found instructions on how to fix it, but holy poo poo that was a frustrating hour.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

You re-enabled SMB1? I'd prefer for Samba to do WS-Discovery, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Yeah, I’m still running WHS V1(Server 2003, basically)so my hands are tied at the moment, but I’m building a new NAS using WHS 2011 which uses SMB 2.0, it’ll be done soon.

It’s a home NAS with nothing important on it, just music and movies and a few games, but I’m not happy with SMB 1.0’s insecurities either.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I’ve used Startisback since, like, a month after Windows 8 was released and I recommend it highly* - no adverse affects of any kind, plus they update it immediately when a new Win10 version is released to the general public.

*if you’re a fossil like myself that likes the old look/feel of Windows 7-ish.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Rexxed posted:

I had a PC running with an old dual core athlon 64 for years because I have a HP ScanJet 4c flatbed scanner from the mid 90s that uses SCSI. I couldn't seem to find a good PCI-E SCSI card or inexpensive SCSI adapter that would support the old SCSI interface better than the Adaptec AHA-2940AU I have in there. The caps were bad and it was a little power hungry so I eventually just found a sandy bridge board with a PCI slot on it as a replacement. It's running windows 7 32 bit to support the ancient HP software for the scanner but it works well. I'm debating a trial upgrade to windows 10 32 bit at some point, but I'll probably just image the disk first and revert if it doesn't handle the scsi card.

I’m doing the same thing you do, except I found a z97 mobo with an OG pci slot for my AHA-2940UW hooked to an ancient Epson hi-end(at the time it was like $2800) photo/negative scanner.

I have good news for you; Win10(as well as 8 & 8.1) works fine with the Adaptec 2930/40/40UW, both the 32bit and 64bit version of the OS. To get the 64bit OS to load the drivers, you need to disable driver signature enforcement on boot and point Device Manager at a folder with the three unzipped Adaptec driver files in it; after a series of dire warnings, it loads ‘em up and you’re good to go. If you need the drivers, they’re around on the ‘net or PM me and I’ll email ‘em to you, they’re tiny.

As far as the HP software goes, you might want to try Hamrick Vuescan, I found it to work pretty well on old scanners.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I wasn’t wild about going to Win10 when 7 got EOL’d, but about a year before it happened, I threw in another SSD, loaded up 10, installed Startisback and began installing all my programs, and within a couple weeks, I didn’t give a poo poo, 10 was fine.

Startisback puts Control Panel back in the Start menu, along with all the familiar settings contained within, so all my hardware loving around works the same, and pretty much any piece of hardware that worked on 7 works on 10, although I had to disassemble the installer in some cases and load drivers manually.

As for games - if you really love old-but-not-ancient games(I do), keep an airgapped XP install around on something and use that, it’s by far the most compatible OS. Just keep it off the internet - I don’t even install network drivers, just to make sure.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I had a similar issue with a desktop a couple years ago and it turned out to be hardware related. The ‘loving with the slider eventually crashes Explorer’ thing was exactly the same. Since it was a desktop, I just went USB and disabled the sound in the BIOS, but I dunno if you can do that with a laptop.

Edit: I troubleshooted it using a live Ubuntu distro, it gave Linux fits as well.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

What brand is your onboard Ethernet - Realtek, Intel or another company? I had the same issue with a Realtek NIC, and after endless loving around, figured out that Win 10 kept replacing my existing driver with a newer one, one that caused all sorts of link speed weirdness. Once I reverted back to an older driver, it would stay at 1gb speed even after sleep.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Did-a-chick? Dum-a-ch<sound cuts out>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Most of the time when moving from old to new hardware and getting a blue screen, it was because the SATA controller on the old poo poo was set up originally as IDE and the new mobo defaults to AHCI.

Switching the new mobo back to IDE usually fixes the issue, then you can swap it back to AHCI with the registry later.