Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Are there any programs, apps or tricks you can use to boost the volume of an individual program in W10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Are there any other programs for Windows as useful and necessary as DisplayFusion?

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
I'm having trouble with Microsoft Photos (the default app to open image files) that started last night. I can't open any images in This PC > Pictures

When I try, I get this message:

If I try to edit the file, I get this

But then when I click Close, the picture actually opens successfully somehow.

The thing is, this only occurs in This PC > Pictures. I can successfully open image files anywhere else on my drive, INCLUDING if I access my pictures folder by going to Accountname > Pictures instead.

Does anyone have any clue what's going on here? I've tried resetting and repairing the Photos app.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Terminating, then repairing and resetting again somehow fixed it. Fuckin MIcrosoft

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Its Coke posted:

I'm having trouble with Microsoft Photos (the default app to open image files) that started last night. I can't open any images in This PC > Pictures

When I try, I get this message:

If I try to edit the file, I get this

But then when I click Close, the picture actually opens successfully somehow.

The thing is, this only occurs in This PC > Pictures. I can successfully open image files anywhere else on my drive, INCLUDING if I access my pictures folder by going to Accountname > Pictures instead.

Does anyone have any clue what's going on here? I've tried resetting and repairing the Photos app.

This is happening again but now I can't fix it by terminating the program

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Actuarial Fables posted:

If you set a different image viewer/editor as the default and open it in the problem location, do you get similar errors?

Running any 3rd party antivirus?

No and no.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Klyith posted:

Check event viewer.

Right click the Custom Views folder on the left pane. Select "Create Custom View...", switch to the XML tab, check the box that says edit manually, and then paste this
code:
<QueryList>
  <Query Id="0" Path="Microsoft-Windows-AppModel-Runtime/Admin">
    <Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-AppModel-Runtime/Admin">*[System[(Level=1  or Level=2)]]</Select>
    <Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational">*[System[(Level=1  or Level=2)]]</Select>
    <Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeployment/Operational">*[System[(Level=1  or Level=2)]]</Select>
    <Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeploymentServer/Operational">*[System[(Level=1  or Level=2)]]</Select>
    <Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeploymentServer/Restricted">*[System[(Level=1  or Level=2)]]</Select>
    <Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-AppxPackaging/Operational">*[System[(Level=1  or Level=2)]]</Select>
  </Query>
</QueryList>
into the box and hit OK. This will give you error logs from UWP/Appx programs.

It still probably won't help because AppX is a pile of unstable trash that just stops working every so often.

That seems to have errors from when I try to reset the app. Six in total but the gist of all of them is that the Photos app needs to close and it can't delete the Photos folder in Appdata\Local\Packages\ so the deployment doesn't happen.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Klyith posted:

There are a bunch of troubleshooting things you can try including
windows store app troubleshooter
reset the windows store
use powershell to reinstall built-in apps
and when those don't work you can start manually poking at poo poo like deleting the directory it's hung up on yourself.

...or you can just install xnview or ifranview to look at your photos and not deal with this bullshit. Just be thankful it's only the photos app that's hosed up and not the start menu or taskbar.

Well I tried all that. Reinstalling everything with powershell gave me reams of app deployment errors, and I was able to delete the Photos folder in AppData\Packages but it any time I try to reset the app the event viewer still gives me the error that the app needs to be closed. Even after I terminate it and it's clearly not running in the task manager

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Can I use the key from my current Windows 10 installation to install it on a new computer after I junk this one?

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Lambert posted:

Depends on what type of key it is: How did you activate Windows? If it's a retail/SB key, then yes.

It was the one I got from this, and then upgraded to Windows 10

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q0PT3I/

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Lambert posted:

You can use your Windows 7 key to install Windows 10 on your new PC.

Nice. Is there a way to recover the key from my OS? I no longer have the original CD or packaging.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Lambert posted:

No. They key any tool will display is a generic key that can't be used for reactivation.

But you can link your activation to a MS account in Update & security -> Activation and run the activation troubleshooter on your new PC to transfer the license.

This doesn't work with digital entitlements.

How do I find out what the Microsoft Account linked to the license is?

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Are there any video editors for Windows 10 that can work on MKVs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think Resolve paid can, but otherwise you could just remux them to MP4 or something with ffmpeg and use that in the free version.

I've actually got Resolve paid, or at least "paid," and it can't. it's what prompted me to ask