Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

fishmech posted:

Update your foobar2000 and/or one of the plugins you're using, they fixed UAC handling right when Windows Vista released. Also you can disable the dimming without breaking UAC altogether or making it auto-allow.

Bit late, but disabling the dimming on UAC (aka removing its secure desktop mode) is functionally equivalent to turning UAC off. If it's not running in secure desktop mode, anything else can interact with the UAC dialog meaning that something can just automatically accept it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

PirateBob posted:

For gently caress's sake. Is this true?

It's actually worse than that.

Everything other than "Always notify" collapses into "meh"

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20160816-00/?p=94105

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Ofecks posted:

At the behest of this thread some time ago, I cranked that poo poo UP a notch to maximum. I have an upper-mid-tier gaming PC so the prompt is fast and easy to deal with.

After re-reading that post to find it, I also cranked mine up to max. Prompt only takes a second for me, and the increase in security is worth the trade-off for me.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Congratulations, disconnecting your computer from the internet is actually something you WANT to do when setting up a new Windows 10 machine.

I only force a local account when doing OOBE so I get a proper user folder instead of "thestartofyouremail" in C:/Users. Once it's set up I switch it back to a MS account.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Klyith posted:

Deactivating satisfies the legalities of having 1 install from 1 license, and since moving the drive over will require reactivation it should prevent the need for a phone call. Transferring via MS account is like, why go through that when you can activate via the plain key? Having a MS account is a hell no imo, and while you could put the MS account on a dummy account that you get rid of afterwards, again why bother.

(If you didn't care about the legalities, activating a second windows 10 install from the same key usually doesn't even produce a phone call these days, but since the guy is moving the whole install over I figure he's breaking up the old machine.)

I mean that's not really his fault, that's Cathy's fault/systemic concept of "cell phone number = person".

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Windows 2004 update, internet shows as disconnected (but functions, at least what I'm testing in). Is this affecting many goons?

Running a VPN or DNS stuff (NextDNS)?

2004 changed the way it does DNS resolution to reach http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt for showing internet status.

code:
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\POLICIES\MICROSOFT\Windows\NetworkConnectivityStatusIndicator" /v UseGlobalDNS /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f 
This forces NCSI to use whatever DNS every other program is using, including a VPN or funky DNS loopback adapter like NextDNS uses.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

ghostinmyshell posted:

That's Teams, and you're right the symptom is some kind of overdraw depending on what is fullscreen on the second monitor. It's the easiest way I can show what's happening.

However this still happens on another single display windows 10 computer at home.

Electron apps are always super weird with multi monitor support.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Javid posted:

I regard this as them playing the hand MS dealt them. They make it AGGRESSIVELY difficult to take back any amount of control over updates; if just tearing the whole update system out is the minimum effort required to get it to go away and quit re-enabling itself like spyware, people who feel strongly about it will do that instead of just changing to manually approving them like we could in 7.

There are definitely somewhat less nuclear ways to accomplish that than the script under discussion, but it's not surprising that it would neuter updates while it's doing other crazy surgery on OS components.

But on the whole, there were more problems as an ecosystem when grognards said "I never install updates" and then told their family members to never install updates. It's a little handholdy but feels like a necessary sacrifice IMO.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

redeyes posted:

Both, I dont do anything except once a year if that. I have one computer that is also a workstation that tends to be 1-2 years behind in updates as well. I know y'all think you are just going to get viruses and china will hack your underpants but its really not like that.

Did anyone notice the last feature update broke printing on some enterprise printers... causing a loving blue screen? This kind of thing is a non starter for myself. I'll just wait thanks very much.
How do you know that china hasn't hacked your underpants?

Like I'm not being snarky here. You've got 2 years of potential CVEs and no real mitigation against it? It's not like the malicious actor is going to flip your monitor upside down.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

redeyes posted:

I dont use facebook. You shouldn't either, its a bad site.

^^ it really always is printers

Right you're the perfect endpoint

never logged into Facebook, never been soiled by a tracking cookie, your network can go ham for a few minutes without getting blocklisted.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Im_Special posted:

I think it can automatically change encodings, but I don't have it set to do that.

You're right about the zero byte file not technically being encoded in anything, this is probably just a bug or an oversight with notepad++, I'll bring it up with the developer and maybe something can be done about it in the future, because a zero byte .txt file "should" be opened as UTF-8 if that's how notepad++ was set to do so.

That does appear to be a np++ issue. Just tried doing this with VSCode, and and it reported it as UTF-8.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

henpod posted:

Hey guys :)

Five questions from you genius buggers.

1 - Am I better off using 'normal' downloaded. exe of programs like spotify, or actually the spotify app from the windows store. Is one more heavy and slow than the other? Or, are they the same.

2 - I see no way at all to increase the bass when using earphones, and music is a bit tinny. All sound drivers are up to date, but I don't see an option anywhere in properties for enhanced bass or whatever.

3 - I have a lightweight setup in terms of startup and background things. I still have about 90 background processes and an additinoal 90 windows processes. Is this normal? Seems a lot, but I don't know poo poo.

4 - I have set the laptop to hibernate about 30 minutes after sleeping to preserve battery overnight. However, is it better to turn off the laptop completely? Or, is this one of those things that 'it takes more effort and wear to turn off and on completely than a standby / hibernation.

5 - Is it generally better to have a partition for the OS on a 512GB SSD? Or just to have everything dumped on one drive. Is there any difference to longterm stability or performance?

Thank you! :)

Store Spotify has a live tile if you care, .exe Spotify does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

HalloKitty posted:

They do. Someone watches your webcam (in theory) the whole time.

They're definitely watching, I got asked to take my hand away from my face