Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Getting into windows boot options is tough enough on a fast new 10 system, but try getting to the BIOS options! Even hammering on DEL from before pushing the on button wouldn't do it

Once I had fast boot turned on, the only way I can get back into bios is with one of the motherboards windows utilities "boot to BIOS screen" options. Not a big deal now that everything is stable, just a pain in the rear end because I'm sure next time I do need in there I'll forget about that ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

CCleaner has this functionality. You can delete individual entries using it.

Nice! Gonna give this a shot

Maybe eventually it'll be a right-click->hide like in windows update

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Col.Kiwi posted:

The problem is that your windows 7 disc does not have USB and/or SATA drivers for your Z170 motherboard because you are attempting to install a 7 year old OS on new hardware. If you really want to continue with this you now have enough detail to google for solutions, but you will have to jump through some hoops.

ahahaha I had this same issue with a build last week. Finally said fuckit and installed 10 with no product key, then ran the windows 7 install from within 10 and registered it, THEN reinstalled 10 from scratch and it picked up the product key and all is good

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

If you upgrade to 10 and then roll back to 7 before end of July, are you still in some database that allows you to re-upgrade to 10 after that, or are you in the same position as if you never upgraded(missed the boat)?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

* Possibly network driver unless you have the disc for your NIC or mobo

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Wifes laptop HDD took a poo poo the other night. Replaced it with a SSD and fresh installed 10 on it, it was 7. No problems at all other than it looks different.

Yes it does. It'll be fine. Facebook will still load don't worry

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Is the Anniversary Update something that you need to actively initiate or otherwise opt-in? Is it possible it updated on its own some night and I never noticed because it didnt break anything?

It was March or April when I built a new PC and used my existing 7 key to clean install 10. I can tell that its been rebooted sometimes due to programs being closed that I know were left open (MIRC, mumble, browsers, poo poo like that), but otherwise everything seems A-OK.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Anyone with the anniversary update and a USB mic(perferably something by Blue as that's what I have) want to check something out for me?

Go into the recording devices and properties for your mic, go to the levels tab, and you should be able to right click to change it to show levels by dB instead of percent. What value does it show when it is all the way to the right 100%? Back in 7 it would be either 22 or 30,31? dB. In 10, that same amount is only giving about 14dB, which leads to a quiet mic. Usable but much quieter than a setup with either deidcated drivers or using the Line-In. There's also not the usual "Mic Boost" like you see in the built in mic port

Blue Snowball uses usbaudio.sys and other stock MS drivers, these were apparently part of the rewrite for 10

I'm expecting it to be the same, but just curious due to the sheer number of changes to internals in this SP update

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

If you used a retail 7 key and upgraded to 10, what happens if you use that 7 key again to install another PC? Rebuilding a MAME box so my on-hand options are either this 7 license, or an old XP key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Should be able to <tab> to the various fields and then either space or up/down arrows to make the selection.