Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
A recent ComputerWorld article (linked) advised to download and save a clean copy of a Windows 10 (2004) install.
The article said the install could "...save your keester at some point.", but was not explicit what risk it would protect you from. The article referenced the driving factor being the next major version of Windows 10 (20H2) being released soon.

Article link:
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3575089/pro-tip-sock-away-a-clean-copy-of-windows-10-2004.html

Good idea, or waste of time/click-bait? I was going to plan a new build soon, but not sure of what version of Windows 10 to place on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

I just bought a prebuilt PC, configured with Windows Home, and during the setup I got it linked to my hotmail account.

But I would prefer to default to a local account on the OS not tied to my hotmail. Also I want to upgrade the OS to Windows Pro, so I can try Bitlocker at some point, and also have a little more control over delaying updates. I want to delaying the updates briefly, to see that a particular Windows update doesn't brick other systems before allowing it's installation on my machine.

Is there a recommended guide to upgrading to Windows Pro and also allowing me to setup a default account not tied to hotmail? I'm fine with having to reinstall Windows altogether if required, as the system is still starting from scratch.

I also wanted to turn off as much of the Windows user tracking as reasonably as possible. During the Windows setup I turned off all the trackers, which I was presented with five or six of them. Any other recommended guide sites would be useful.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Klyith posted:

Extremely helpful answers about upgrading to Windows Pro
Wow, thanks for the quick and very helpful post. I hope you are gainfully employed in the technology industry as you would go far, if not gone far already.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Klyith posted:

right click on your desktop, new -> shortcut

in the shortcut creator paste "shutdown.exe /r /t 0" and then name it "Restart my PC"

move it into your start menu (or right click and say "pin to start")

now say "Hey Cortana restart my PC"
"Hey Cortana: please go thru all the vendor websites to order me a new RTX 3080ti card. I'll give you a week: if you don't deliver by then, I will be forced to replace you with Linux".