Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Windows 10 is pretty ok but the start menu is just not that cool. I sure hope they fix its limitations soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Gunslinger posted:

Perhaps that's what is happening to mine as well. 10 takes way longer to come out of S3 Sleep than Windows 8.1 did, like 10-15 seconds vs 2-5. It's not a big deal but its one of those things where I can't figure out why its happening.

Probably hybrid shutdown. Disable that and it should come back near instantly.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

robodex posted:

One more update... This didn't work. I did the install 8.1 -> activate -> upgrade -> activate -> flatten & reinstall Win10 freshly method, and even though it had no problem activating from an upgrade install I got the same error as before with fresh Win10 home. So after no less than 5 OS reinstalls, I just said gently caress it and did 8.1 -> Win10 one final time, just choosing not to keep anything.

The good news is on an SSD it takes all of 10 minutes to install!

If you run produkey it will tell you your embeded product key and thus, version. Might be helpful to figuring out what went wrong.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Compressed ram ?! I'll just buy another 16GB thanks.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Know what is loving pissing me off? The loving updates rebooting Windows 10 Pro with Hyper V running and NOT shutting down the VM or 'Saving' or anything! I don't want my VM to get corrupted.. goddamnit.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

go3 posted:

welp contacted Microsoft and theyre sending another SP3 to replace this brand new one that updates borked the WiFi on

I've used a bunch of Pro 1's 2's and now 3's and they ALL had loving stupid glitches from wifi to charging to the keyboards not working. Highly unimpressed.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

go3 posted:

my second SP3 has been having WiFi issues since 8.1->10 and im probably just gonna reset the piece of poo poo and hope for the best

It's loving maddening how Microsoft's premium device on their premium OS does this poo poo.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

I think I might roll back to Windows 8.1 until DirectX 12 games start showing up.

Over the last two weeks I've had more bluescreens than I had in my entire time using Windows 8 (from launch), and every few days when I turn my computer on in the morning, the BIOS needs to restore itself from the backup ROM. Last night I put my computer into sleep mode instead of a full shutdown to see what would happen, and when I woke it back up today, it fired up and then bluescreened attempting to write to read-only memory. Now, bluescreen errors being as vague as they are, I opened up the event viewer and grabbed a calculator and the Intel 64 System Programming Guide, found the bug check parameters for ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY, and decoded the page table entry, which was mapped read-only and execute-disable pointed at 9MB physical.

I don't even know what the gently caress Windows was trying to do but I'm wondering if poo poo like this is related in some way to my apparent BIOS issues.

Run bluescreenview from: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

See what it points to

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The windows 10 email app while looking and functioning well is loving useless. It simply cannot consistently download and notify me of messages. Unreal. How loving hard is this Microsoft?! HUH?!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I've always had a problem with Outlook and push email - across Win8.1 with the older mail app, Outlook 2013, and now W10 + the universal mail app. Really don't know wtf, it will be immediate and provide notifications for several hours a day or work for several days in a row, then just...stop.

I basically get notified of new emails these days by my iPad's notification bell - and I'm using the Outlook app there. Always notifies, push seems to always work.

This is really just solidifying my choice to switch from Windows to android for my personal computers. Basic functionality in Windows just plain sucks.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Grim posted:

I upgraded my Surface Pro 2 to win10 yesterday, everything seems fine so I'm happy with that but I had a dumb question about the way my partitions ended up;

I set about trying to reclaim some space and I figure I don't need to the old win8.1 recovery partition

I set up a recovery usb and as part of that delete the recovery partition - it says it's done but still I'm left with this

I'm pretty sure this is fine to remove (correct me if I'm wrong there), but I'm also pretty sure that I won't be able to recover the extra space into the primary partition because of the efi partition sitting in between - right?

It's not a lot of space but poo poo like that bugs me - I held off just having a go at it in case my assumption about it being fine to remove was misplaced

Sure, delete it. Long as you can reinstall with some other media. should be able to resize the C partition to use that space.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Meiteron posted:

I've run into a sort of obscure problem maybe someone here has also run into.

My ultimate goal of the upgrade is to move my OS from my existing disk (an old 1TB) to a newer SSD drive. The plan was to upgrade my existing W7 OS, then make a boot drive with a flash drive, then boot from it and do a clean install on my SSD.

Upgrade went fine, creating the boot drive went fine, but now I have a problem: I need to get into my BIOS to boot from the flash drive, and suddenly I can't. Before update I had gotten in from launch without any issues, after update I hit the startup screen that asks me to press the key to enter BIOS and then it just ignores my keyboard and boots up W10 like I hadn't pressed anything.

Neither restart or shutting down manually and starting up again let me access BIOS. I switched off Fast Startup in power options, also didn't help. It has to be a W10 thing because I got into the BIOS fine, like, yesterday, before doing any upgrades. My mobo is like a 6 year old ASUS P8P67 and runs in Legacy.

Anyone run into this issue? Failing that, is there another way to force a restart into BIOS without hitting the proper key on startup?

Hold down shift when doing a restart, this will get into the recovery options one of which is get into UEFI bios.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The start menu is buggy as hell. I guess really not much Microsoft did for Windows 10 is stable or even really usable. Random metro apps have stopped working on mine. The Start key on the keyboard doesn't bring up the menu. The mail app takes nearly an hour to download new messages from google. No real working drag and drop to the taskbar and/or start menu. Incredibly unimpressive.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thermopyle posted:

Depends on who you ask.

I think it's a fine upgrade from 7 and 8.1.

Others (wrongly!) think its terrible.

About the only real change from 8.1 and 7 is the windowed Metro apps. And the crappier start menu which is still usable. The rest is more hardware support.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Risket posted:

I apologize if this has already come up, but I'm still confused about something.

My Dad didn't listen to me, and upgraded his Windows 7 install to Windows 10. Now, he wants to do a couple of upgrades (motherboard/CPU upgrade, memory, video card, etc...). This mean he will need to purchase a Windows 10 license, correct?

Can he revert back to Windows 7, install the various upgrades, then do the upgrade to Windows 10 again? Does Microsoft allow multiple upgrades on the same Windows 7 key?

You can transfer the WIndows 7 license to the new motherboard, just use same key, call in, etc. Once that is done, do the 10 upgrade and it will now be active. You CANNOT transfer the free upgrade license from mobo to mobo, I tried and MS wasted like 2 hours of my life doing stupid poo poo. Nothing like repeating your key about 15 times.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Magnus Praeda posted:

Reinstall 7 on the new motherboard and do the upgrade again. No idea what happens when the "free upgrade" period ends, though.

Exactly this. Just did this on a older mobo and it worked fine, you may have to call MS and reactivate 7 but after that its all easy.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Crotch Fruit posted:

I find it difficult to believe that Windows 10.1 pre-pre-Alpha is more stable than Windows 10 RTM.

Funny thing, about 4-6 months before RTM, some of the insider builds were far far better than the RTM when we are talking the start menu. It got FAR worse. Also I never had issues with store apps back then. I'm sure changes to the store after that borked everything.

Doesn't really matter anyhow. That ship sailed.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EoRaptor posted:

It's going to deactivate, and while you can phone MS and try to convince them to do a phone activation, the Windows 10 license you agreed to expressly bound that license to your then current hardware, and when you replace that hardware, you are obligated to buy a new license.

You could just reinstall 7, activate it, then do the upgrade again, which will 'bless' your new hardware.

This is exactly what happens. After wasting 2 hours telling the indian support my windows 8.1 key, I gave up. They said they would call me back in 48 hours to fix the issue. I didn't have 48 hours to gently caress around so I reloaded 8.1, reactivated it with the phone number, then updated to 10 and that was activated as you would expect.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I had a computer with a broken Windows 10 start menu, wouldn't open, gave a message you need to log off and back on and it would attempt a fix.. never fixed it. I ended up doing a repair install with the Windows 10 ISO and that actually worked to fix everything. Food for thought.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lum posted:

I disagree. Win10 runs so much better on poo poo hardware than Win7 ever did. Its hardware requirements are what Vista's should have been on launch day.

If you do an upgrade from a system with a bogged down Windows 7, 10 acts even worse for whatever reason. On the other hand, fresh loaded systems seem a bit more snappy for sure.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lum posted:

Well yeah, upgrade installs are always poo poo.

I was comparing fresh against fresh though.

Ah, well sure. 10 is pretty nimble! If only the start menu wasn't donkey balls.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've had a number of people tell me their computer just did the upgrade by itself.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

Clicks next without reading anything.

That is my guess.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thermopyle posted:

Or set a policy.

So basically only Pro and Enterprise can defer updates. Home/Core gets them whenever MS wants.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

Here are all the esds for russia and usa

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/2xE4/5k5wdRDSu

this looks interesting

so you can convert to an .iso with this http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2570-esd-iso-create-bootable-iso-windows-10-esd-file.html

Actually that didn't work at all, it complained the image was encrypted.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 6, 2015

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just got an Intel Compute stick for 130 with the Windows 10 license. Quite frankly this is a wicked good deal for a decent computer. If you get one update the BIOS right off and install the latest 10 drivers from Intels website. After doing that stuff the thing performs just great.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zero VGS posted:

Has anyone seen it for the non-Insider builds yet? I'm on Windows 10 Pro without "defer updates" checked.

Another really good deal right now is this Kangaroo PC, it is Skylake Atom processor, so faster than the compute stick and fanless: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883722001

I used a NewEgg coupon to get a pair of them for $90 each and they include Win 10 Home. They are made from an established projector company and are reviewing very well.

Great deal! About 2-3 times larger than the compute stick but jeez, probably a perfect mom and pop type computer. Thanks for the heads up.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just installed the update and it is a full OS upgrade leaving the Windows.old folder in the root. It broke my HyperV machines forcing me to re-establish the physical mappings to the drives it uses.. no idea why that happened. Next it reset my default printer.. not a huge problem but im sure I'll get a bunch of people calling me saying their printer stopped working.

Other than stuff not working, it looks a bit more polished with the color matching title bars.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lum posted:

I need to uninstall Glass8 before doing this don't I?

Also, if it's a windows.old job, how is that going to happen on my GF's 32GB tablet?

I don't know for sure if you need to remove Glass8.. Maybe better to be safe than sorry. 10 takes maybe around 16GB which does leave enough to do an upgrade but probably not with user files on the same system.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Wow. I didn't think Storage Spaces was fixable. Now I wonder if ReFS is available as a file system. The whole block level spanning scheme scares me because I don't know a single recovery util that can deal with it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lum posted:

I'm more pissed off that it's added new apps, including loving Candy Crush Saga. WTF!

It didn't add anything on my system.. odd.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So right away I started getting email notifications for the first time ever. Just using a gmail account with the Mail client. About loving time they fixed that. It's been about what, 3 years?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I take it you've tried System Restore? I was having your issues a few days ago and spent hours trying to sort it, though I also had horrendous system instability. I just formatted and it's all fine now of course, but you're probably quicker doing that than spending more time trying to track down the issues.

Also you can try a repair install. Just boot up and use the install media you used originally, run the setup.exe. When it asks do an Upgrade.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have to say I really like the small stuff this latest update did. Windows 10 finally feels like its got some polish.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's been a while since a RAM test program worked for me. Depending on how much ram you have, just get some replacement stuff and toss it in. The stuff is real cheap these days.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

This is incorrect. You only don't need a key if you're doing the upgrade from 7 or 8 and it's during this first twelve months of release.

Installs that come with new computers, or purchased copies of Windows 10,have their own keys just like Windows has done since Windows 95/NT

Release 2 of Windows 10 does take windows 7 and 8 and 8.1 product keys directly. After that you have a 'digital entitlement' which means the hardware you own is hashed and the Windows 10 license is connected to that hash.

quote:

Do not use any antivirus besides Microsoft Security Essentials on 7 and earlier, or Windows Defender on 8 and later. Unless you are required to use a different program as a condition of going on a school or work network.
What?!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

I used a couple of those tools to extract my WIndows 7 product key (and both tools gave me the same key)

Windows 7's key is not in the registry on an OEM system. You'll need to use the product key sticker off the bottom of the laptop or desktop.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

I don't see how you get "no key is required" out of "you have to put in a key".

I'm not sure what exactly you are saying but you can simply upgrade from an activated windows 7, 8 or 8.1 and you get a digital entitlement. This requires no key. If you do not boot up with an active Windows, you can put in one of those real keys and get your entitlement. Not too hard to understand.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know whats going on but MS pulled the Nov update 10586. Also the boot media creation tool has been revered to 240. The gently caress?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah sorry, I missed that post. Talk about loving annoying. This whole product key business sucks.