Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Masonic Youth posted:

I'm trying to get Cortana to control VLC.
I managed to get halfway there, by learning that when you tell Cortana to play music, what's happening behind the scenes is that Windows creates a .wpl playlist and opens it in the default player for that file format, which by default is usually Groove. So, theoretically, if I can associate .wpl files with VLC, Cortana will play media in VLC by default.
Here's where I'm stuck. I'm using VLC for Windows Store. It doesn't show up in the list of available programs to associate it with .wpl in the Default Programs control panel. And since it's from Windows Store, it's not installed in a viewable directory, so I can't select it from the file explorer either (I managed to do this with an earlier, non-Windows-Store version of VLC, but I want to use the new modern interface).
How the gently caress do I associate this file type with VLC for Windows Store?

From reddit I got this.
To change Cortana's default music player (to replace Groove Music with another player of your choice)
Open Default Programs
Click Associate a file type.....
Find wpl file extension & change its program to the player of your choice

But I just created a new text document, renamed to .wpl, right clicked and opened with VLC setting it as the default program for wpl.

My first go with it I started
me: Hey Cortana, play Shiina Ringo
Cortana: Revolting Cocks - Linger Ficken Good

Close but no cigar.

e: this is with straight VLC not from the windows store
e2: crap i somehow missed the part where you did this, nevermind
e3:

to make this a real post twice now my laptop has come out of sleep with no access to the taskbar. From start button over to the notifications. My only option was right clicking on the start button to log out and start over.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Lum posted:

I have found out how to add the recycle bin to the quick access panel in explorer. This is great for people who prefer to hide desktop icons.

Download ThisPC Tweaker. Choose the option to add a shell location, and add the recycle bin there. It'll now show up in ThisPC alongside C:\ etc.
Then you can drag it onto the quick access bar (but can't right click and pin), and optionally remove it from ThisPC using ThisPC Tweaker again. It functions like a proper recycle bin, with the correct context menu, and ability to drag things into it.

Oh thank you. That page got me my power plans back on the battery indicator.
e: or rather the windows 10 link at the top did.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Irritated Goat posted:

I have an odd usage question. I'm not even sure if it's possible.

What I want to do is this:

When PC boots up and I log in, start a copy of Chrome on Desktop 2 that contains certain sites. Does this make sense?

Open all of those pages you want started, open Chrome settings, "On Startup" section click on set pages, then current pages. Desktop 2 is beyond me ATM.

I don't understand why Windows 10 couldn't have text suggestion built in and usable by any program.
I should be able to use notepad or even create a new folder and have it know what I am typing.
My Android knows that when I type Los that Angeles is next, why cant Windows?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Can you tell me how to get that battery meter? I've been searching for one but no luck.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

I gave a link up the page if you missed it! Another thing is you can shrink it if you shrink the font on the battery (I put it at 9pt) but since the taskbar doesn't handle a single column of icons very well it's kind of moot in making the taskbar skinnier.

I must have missed it while I was searching how to do it. And Thank you very much

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

For some reason ever since I updated to Windows 10 it has repeatedly told me that every one of my flash drives/sd cards was borked and it wanted to scan and fix them. Especially my ipod.
Sometimes I even let it do it. Even though they are all working fine.
So of course i forgot to pop the sd card out before updating my laptop. Added an extra 30mins onto the update making it a total of 2 hours.

No extra crap except for the skype preview which I uninstalled again.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Just found something called FLEXnet Connect Software Manager in my startup tab.
Seems to be connected with installshield.
I havent really installed anything lately that would have put it there.
I wonder if it has been there but hidden and the update just made it visible.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

How can I do windows updates when I want to do them?
I am on a laptop and sometimes my only option is to put it to sleep because its either update or sleep. And I may not turn it back on for a few days and it will still drain power in sleep. Not a good option.
Twice I was on the beach on my bike and it was starting to rain. Shutdown? gently caress you, lets update. I had to walk my bike for over an hour with a trashbag over my laptop.

Telling it to do the update tomorrow doesnt work, if I start to shut down its just going to do the update anyway?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

fishmech posted:

Why aren't you using hibernate? It uses 0 power once the process finishes, and won't cause updates to install.

Though I'm not seeing why, if you're not using it for a few days, you wouldn't just plug it in and do the update then?

I see the options to sign out, sleep, update and shut down or update and restart. No hibernate.
Also I dont live inside and get power off of solar. When it rains for a few days, no power. And that is ALWAYS when windows 10 wants to do a update.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

fishmech posted:

This will add it to the menu, but you can also rebind the power/sleep buttons to Hibernate once it's enabled, as opposed to being power or sleep:
http://winaero.com/blog/add-hibernate-to-the-start-menu-in-windows-10/

I actually did a quick search and found the hibernate option just before you posted this. I am actually set to hibernate after 3 hours. But even still I wouldnt want it doing the update while its folded and shoved in my bag. Which is fairly waterproofed because I do live outside. Meaning it will be loving cooking for an hour or so.

There really should be an option to simply shut down and do the when it is more convenient.

But I will give you link a try and see if it is better than sleep. ie uses less power.

e:Also, thanks for the suggestion.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 4, 2016

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Khablam posted:

Alt+F4 from the desktop still gives you the same dialog it has since Windows 95. You can select shut down from here independently of shut down & update.

Not for me. But thanks for that tip.

e: You know I dont think I have used that way to shut down since 98. Completely forgot about it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OgNar fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 4, 2016

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

UglyCrackBaby posted:

Sign out first and then shut down.

Tried this and switch user, neither gives me power options on screen just wifi and narrator. Also Ctrl+alt+del the power button on the lower right used to bypass updates but no longer does.
I have done quite a but of searching and it seems they have simply taken this option out.

I am down to this link which tells how to disable auto updates and then I will have to set a schedule to do it manually.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Honestly, if it was starting to rain, I went to shut my laptop down, and saw the goddamn "Update and shut down" option, I'd just hard-off it.

Yeah but I was worried and rushing and made a wrong decision. Luckily the last time it was only a light rain.
Also just tried shutdown -s -t 00 which I got off of some website. But it looks like they took the option out of that also. So I did this last update. Was hoping to figure it out while I had this update from Friday hanging there.

Thanks for the help.

e:oh snap. Cant disable auto updating because my edition doesnt have group policy editor.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 4, 2016

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Khablam posted:

You disable the service.

Which doesnt allow you to check for updates at all. It gives just error 0x80070422, which googling tells me the fix is to make sure windows update is on.
Which I am willing to do. Beats getting stuck with a forced update at inopportune times.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

A good poster posted:

Can't you enable the update service as easily as you can disable it?
Yes which is what I will do. But seriouslyy though, Hoops for no reason.

Factor Mystic posted:

Nah this works fine.

If it works for you then I think maybe because I have the Home version it is disabled for me. Since Home is generally considered the lovely version. I assume you have Pro or Enterprise.
I bought my laptop through one of the Dell deals and got what came with it, no selections.
Took me until now to remember that I have the Home version, So I get less options "just because".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Factor Mystic posted:

True, I did test it on a Pro VM. I'm surprised that's not something available in Home. You used the /s flag, right? (Didn't say in your last post).

I didnt but I can give it a try the next time an update comes out. I will assume its the same though. Since all the other options everyone says are there but I dont see them at all.

Khablam posted:

Home edition ironically limiting if you have no home.

If they still had their offices on Broadway in Santa Monica I would egg their windows. :D
But I think they moved in the last few months.