Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So there are people on ebay selling Win10 Pro keys for $24-30. Is this legit? Not just individuals selling 1 key but people who are selling 100s of keys at this price. If it is legit, where are people getting these keys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well, I bought one of those cheap ebay keys before consulting here. Anyway, I can't undo that. I googled the key and it didn't come up on at all so that's a plus. Is there any way to check if its good or not without actually installing Win10?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Wait, will win10 take my old win7 key? No upgrade, clean install?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have a lovely 2015 Acer R3 laptop. If I throw in one of my spare SSDs into it and install Win10 from the latest MS image, will it automagically grab the license from some magic onboard ROM? Is that how laptops work these days?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If I restore a surface pro 4 inside the OS and choose not to keep any data, does it just re-install the same version of the OS that was put into the recovery area? Does it pull a new version from MS servers? I haven't seen a windows install gui in like 10 years.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok so how do I do a format reinstall with latest win10 on a surface? Just dl from MS and USB? No key needed right its all in the UEFI right?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Installing windows7....:success:

For the first time in maybe 6 years....

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there a 3rd party tool that will let me extend my display over the network to another pc. I know windows has this build in via miracast but the machines I’m doing this on don’t support it and I need to have it work over Ethernet.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Rexxed posted:

I've never used it, but Spacedesk claims to do what you want:
https://spacedesk.net/

Thanks!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Hope this is the right windows thread I guess.

My 5yr old is going to start remote learning kindergarten in a week. She needs a laptop. I have many many laptops so that's not a problem.

But how to setup a win laptop that's safe/good for kids? She's already pretty smart around both windows and macOS and will find herself in some really weird corner of the internet if left unsupervised.

I was going to clean install the latest win10 image. Add myself the primary admin account. But I'm not sure what these windows 'kids' accounts are about. Seems like they are more geared towards pre teens and teens. I guess I really just need to restrict her access online. I don't really need app restrictions or screen time restrictions. Maybe just a browser plugin? I don't want to manually maintain local whitelists in 2020.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Actually it looks like they are using google classroom and the teachers are dumping a bunch of YouTube links to kids content but I don't want her to start clicking the suggested links after the videos stop playing because the first tier links might be fine but the n-th tier could be q-anon flat earth poo poo.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

doctorfrog posted:

I'll be finding this out soon myself, but maybe the videos are embedded in whatever Classroom is, and just play without any of the suggested garbage.

yeah right, and they aren't harvesting info from children, either

edit: Actually, they may not harvest data:

Not that I completely trust 'em, but there's that, at least.

edit2: YouTube is an "additional service," so, yeah.

Now I'm contemplating if I should just get a Chromebook instead. Doesn't help me with youtube filtering out of the box but it's most of a walled system than a windows box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Khablam posted:

So, nothing is a guarantee of course, but in the most restricted mode, you shouldn't be seeing anything in Google classroom other than videos Google have whitelisted, and videos the organisation have whitelisted themselves: https://support.google.com/a/answer/6212415?hl=en

Hmm I’ll have to check that out. Thing is the local machine isn’t really locked down in any way unless I can somehow lock down the experience to google classroom only and not allow leaving it. Hence why I was looking into chrome books.