Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

xamphear posted:

Let's say you have a Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise machine in use at a business. It is absolutely imperative that it not shut down or reboot EVER, outside of manually handled shutdowns attended by a human when absolutely necessary. Is there any way to configure Windows Update to work in this fashion, or is it simply not possible? From what I can see, even the "notify me to reboot" option still does a automatic reboot if you don't schedule one within a certain time frame.

I would say you use Group Policy (safe assumption is in use since this is a corporate network) to configure update behavior for this computer and others of its ilk.

Microsoft has said a few times that they aren't loving with businesses ability to control their environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Don Lapre posted:

Clicks next without reading anything.

As an aside, these are exactly the people who:
1) Should be on the latest/most secure version of Windows
2) Should be getting the forced automatic updates

Seems like a solid plan to me.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Zero Gravitas posted:

So heres a further query, now that I've ordered all this new PC stuff.

My plan tomorrow night after work is get home, build the new PC, install Win 7 on HD A in the new machine and then upgrade it to Win 10.

Can I then simply put in HD B from this machine with all my old files (and old Win 7 install with the same key) into the new machine? Or do I need to migrate it via a third body (mem stick)first?

If you use the new Media Creation tool you shouldn't have to do anything but install Windows 10 and give it your Windows 7 key. No need for all the Win 7 installation stuff now.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Google UBCD and run memtest from it using a flash drive. Run it overnight to see if there are memory problems. My first thought was memory issues.

Disclaimer: this may be a suggestion from the distant past, I haven't kept up with this poo poo new that I'm all enterprise all the time.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Phoenixan posted:

Hey, I just got a new keyboard for my desktop. For some reason, when it's plugged in via PS/2, the Windows log on screen doesn't recognize the keyboard until I unplug it and plug it back in.

Otherwise, it works fine with no interruption, but it seems pretty silly to have to unplug/replug my keyboard after each restart.

USB doesn't present this issue.

e: Never mind, I entered my bios once and now it just magically works.

What? "New" and "PS/2" don't really jive right? I haven't seen a computer with a ps/2 port in over a decade and I'm an IT guy, I see a lot of computers. Why would you choose that over usb (serious question, not trying to be a jerk).

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Just to counter point, I've had 28 of 30 computers with no issues at all in my test deployment. The first problem one ended up having bad ram, the second had on and off Cortana search issues.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Stanley Pain posted:

That's is in a work environment right? I'm assuming workstations with similar hardware across all machines. Anything in those 30 computers with high end GPUs? 64+GB or Ram? Any of those computers used for anything other than office work? :)

Yeah, on a domain. 20 of them are one model, higher end I5 with 16 GB of ram, Intel video. The other ten are another model, but similar specs. Pretty bog standard poo poo really. I have been using 10 on my home computers too, and it's been ok, a few snags back during the insider preview stages though.

I think most of the people who have issues are power users honestly. People who like to get in to the settings and operate slightly differently than the average user. 5 years ago that would have been me, but I mostly just game and browse forums these days. I toss in higher end ( budget) hardware on my home machine and just fly with default settings, and it works good enough.

Windows 10 isn't quite mature enough for the tinkerers yet, they haven't worked all those kinks out, which is pretty obvious when you have things like the old control panel, the settings panel, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

dissss posted:

Desktops or laptops?

Of the ten or twelve laptops I've upgraded only one (a ThinkPad T430s) worked without a hitch, the rest either had completely non-functional trackpoints/pads (various age HP EliteBooks), crashing video drivers (first gen i5/7), broken audio (newish Asus 15") or just flat out non-functional power management (my beloved AMD E-350 netbook).

No issues with desktops, but then they tend to have much less fiddly hardware.

They're mostly EliteBook 840 G1 or G2s. The smaller handful are something like 8460's or something (can't remember the model at the moment). All laptops at the office.