Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is there a way to shut down a task when it has frozen and made the screen black (a game)? When I do ctrl-alt-del and try to bring up the task manager, it is hidden behind the blackness. Right-click-close doesn't work on the task bar. Right now it seems the quickest solution is to ctrl-alt-del and log off... any alternatives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

Just open task manager now and in options set it to be always on top. It should remember that for the next time.

Ooh, that might work. Thanks! :dance:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is there a way to create a shortcut or .bat file to deactivate (or activate) a certain device (Nvidia High Definition Audio)?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not looking to switch between sound sources. Nvidia HD Audio seems to cause a crash in a game, so I need it disabled at those times, but need it enabled at other times when I need it to play audio on my TV through HDMI from the PC. Never mind though, I just made a desktop shortcut to Device Manager. Disabling/enabling it doesn't take much time. :)

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
My PC is running like poo poo after the latest Windows 10 update. My sound card stopped working, and the process "System interrupts" is taking up 20% CPU all the time. He;lp

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

stevewm posted:

Look in task manager for a process called RealTek HD Audio Manager, or Realtek Audio Control panel... End it and see if the problem goes away immediately.

I've seen just this happen on a few computers and that program was the culprit.

Thanks, but I don't have anything from RealTek running.

Other processes seem to be taking up more CPU than they did before the update, too.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What are the likely problem(s) when you get a sudden BSOD (well, light blue with the sad smiley) in Windows 10? My computer was just playing a simple video file streamed to my TV, and it froze up completely with the last bit of sounds looping very quickly. The message said "we are collecting info then you can turn the computer off" but the progress was stuck on 0% so I just turned it off. It started up fine a few minutes later.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I don't remember seeing a message

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

nielsm posted:

More specifically: Right-click the Start button and open the Event Viewer. Fold out the Windows category and select the System log. You should be able to find the crash info there.

Thank you.

Okay, here's some info from that log.

And I've had to translate some from moon language:

"The service luafv cannot start because of the following error:
The driver is blocked from loading."

And there's several errors like the following, from Source: DistributedCOM

"The settings for application-specific-permission do not give Local Activation-permission to the COM Server-program with CLSID
{8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820}
and APPID
{8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820}
for user DESKTOP-4D4TBPI\SE-10 SID (S-1-5-21-869195567-2988417848-264321421-1001) from the address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the program container Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_10.0.17134.1_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-350187224-1905355452-1037786396-3028148496-2624191407-3283318427-1255436723). This security permission can be changed with the admin tool Component Services."

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Klyith posted:

Seems like that WUDFRd is associated with USB devices.

1. Update the drivers that are associated with your wireless keyboard since that's called out.
2. Get the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard. (If you don't know what chipset your motherboard has, get CPUz, run it, screenshot the Mainboard tab and we'll give you a link directly to the right chipset drivers for your pc.)

DCOM errors are a giant PITA to fix, and before win10 the advice was always to ignore them because nothing important actually cared about DCOM. But now UWP does. You can try running the MS Store and having it fetch updates for everything, and also doing the
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
thing in powershell if that doesn't work.

Anyways that may be a sign of creeping UWP failure but it won't bsod your system. AFAIK the only thing ContentDeliveryManager does is fetch ads and windows spotlight backgrounds, so not essential to keep your pc running.

I don't have a wireless keyboard. It's a cabled USB one. :confused:

Will try the chipset drivers for motherboard thing.

What is UWP (failure)?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Here's the CPUZ info:

The MSI website isn't playing nice, so I'd appreciate a direct link. It's a very old mainboard. From 2010 or something. Same goes for my i5-2500k CPU.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Yes I turned off UAC.

It wasn't a one-off BSOD. I had several more hard freezes (without BSOD) soon after turning it on. The last one came 0.1 seconds after logging in. Quite discouraging. :P

Today, though, I have used it for 2 hours now without problems.

Thanks for your help guys. I've installed that chipset thing.

The weird thing is that I can't find anything totally relevant to the freezes in the Event Viewer. Just some "The system has started again after not being shut down normally" events.

But... I'll take this as a sequence of "your mainboard, RAM and CPU are really loving old and should probably be upgraded very soon" hints.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Turn UAC back on, like what are you even doing.

Why? :confused:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

fishmech posted:

Why did you turn it off?

wolrah posted:

Because allowing everything you run to have unrestricted admin privileges is loving stupid?

Almost all software should never have admin privileges ever. The majority of the programs that actually need it only need it very intermittently. UAC provides for that. It's the Windows equivalent of using "sudo" on *nix systems.

If UAC is causing you any significant amount of annoyance, it means either you're doing some really weird poo poo that you probably shouldn't be doing or you're using some ancient trash software written by fucktards who think it's still Windows 98.

Klyith posted:

Fully disabling UAC in win10 is a Bad Idea™ because it makes your computer completely insecure, but also other parts of the OS are now built expecting it to be there. It handles security credentials for things besides the annoying UAC prompt, those things will refuse to run if they get no response from a disabled service rather than an "ok".

If you want to have a loaded gun constantly pointed at your own feet you can set UAC to never notify, which will leave the service running and just let malware or whatever run without asking you. Disabling it entirely through group policy or turning off the service is no bueno.

I learned my lesson about this a few years ago when I found out disabling the firewall service also fucks things up. Don't disable random services on win10. (It hasn't stopped win10 from making GBS threads itself on me, but at least now I don't have to blame myself for being an idiot.)

Hipster_Doofus posted:

So anyway, why did you disable UAC, pray tell?

Sigh. Guess I have to turn it back on.

I disabled it because

1. That slow loving UAC screen that dims your monitor and made it take several seconds to install or launch a program.
2. My music app (foobar2000, lol, it's old) stopped launching - got some red screen with "contact the sys admin" and when I googled for ways to get past that lock, basically the only simple solution I found was "disable UAC completely"... :shrug:

So what's a good solution to 'customizing' UAC here? I want minimal time spent on loving UAC screens, while also not being completely insecure.

I'm picking level 2 for now, where 1 is "off".

Though, I'm not sure if turning this setting on completely re-enables it. When I googled how to get past the red lock screen for an app, I think I used some cmd prompt to disable UAC quite comprehensively. :shrug:

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 12, 2019

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Geemer posted:

You know that's still actively being developed, right? The latest release was in July and works just fine with Windows 10, only needs UAC confirmation when you run the installer for updating it.

I did not know that :downs: Thanks.

fishmech posted:

Update your foobar2000 and/or one of the plugins you're using, they fixed UAC handling right when Windows Vista released. Also you can disable the dimming without breaking UAC altogether or making it auto-allow.

Yeah UAC isn't too annoying at level 2. Some apps (like my torrent app) need permission every time they launch though.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

you might want to have a good long think about running a poorly written torrent app that is constantly sending and receiving arbitrary content from the web as root

It's not really arbitrary though? And surely you're not suggesting PirateBob should stop pirating. Is there a "well written" torrent app?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Khablam posted:

I quite literally don't know of a torrent program that requires admin to run.
piratebob .. are you still using installers you burned to a CD-R in 2005?

Please use patchmypc/ninite to get actual modern free solutions to these problems.

Haha. No! Of course not! From a CD-R? Hah!

:shobon:

I'm using uTorrent 2.2.1 ... It was the last good version before they started adding crapware/bloat. It's still supported by all trackers.

I'm not sure if it asks for *admin* per se. I just get the message "Do you want this app to be able to make changes to the system?" every time I add a torrent. Same thing every time I launch foobar2000 (now updated) too.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah that shouldn't be happening for either of those programs, even that ancient version of uTorrent. Did you install them as portable (ie where they write their settings to the folder they're in) at some point and have now dumped them somewhere in program files or something?

Thanks! Yes, they were located in program files, despite perhaps not having been installed there. foobar2000 was a portable install, I think, and had a "register all file types for this app" thing running whenever it was started. uTorrent.exe had "run as admin" as a compatibility setting, for god knows what reason. I've moved them elsewhere now, and I no longer get any UAC prompts! :v:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I have so many questions. :psyduck:

If I can amuse anyone, go ahead and ask. :)

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

Bit late, but disabling the dimming on UAC (aka removing its secure desktop mode) is functionally equivalent to turning UAC off. If it's not running in secure desktop mode, anything else can interact with the UAC dialog meaning that something can just automatically accept it for you.

For gently caress's sake. Is this true?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What kind of threats would get through Windows Defender/Malwarebytes Premium and inject itself into explorer to present a false UAC etc? What are you guys most worried about? And how would those threats get in?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

mystes posted:

It's not showing a fake UAC prompt if that's what you're thinking. It's using tricks (doing stuff through programs that are built into windows) so that no UAC prompts are shown unless you have it set to "Always Prompt."

Actual ransomware does this and won't necessarily get caught by Windows Defender or other antivirus programs.

You end up with ransomware by not keeping your software up to date, installing poo poo off the internet, or just being really unlucky and encountering a 0-day vulnerability in your browser or whatever.

So if you have UAC set to "always prompt" and you never click yes on some stupid poo poo, you're basically invulnerable to ransomware?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How can I enable accelerated wheel scrolling? I.e. if I keep scrolling up/down in quick succession, I want the speed to increase.

I had this on my last Windows 10, but now that I've installed on a new PC it's gone.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Klyith posted:

That sounds like a feature that was added by software / drivers for your mouse.

I don't recall installing any software or drivers for my mouse. It's a basic Microsoft optical mouse.

Edit: right you are. Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center gives me the options I want.

Thanks Klyith!

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 19, 2021

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is there any way to view a log of manual shutdowns of the computer? I.e. not crashes.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

I did that with Event Viewer filtered by: 41,1074,6006,6605,6008. None of the shutdowns in the last 2 weeks are in the log. And there are similar week or two week long gaps in other parts of the log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What is "windows compatibility telemetry" and why is it sometimes using 50% cpu?