Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Ekster posted:

There's no (free) adblock equivalent for edge availabe yet, right?

I checked the previous couple of pages but couldn't find anything on it.

Edge doesn't support extensions yet, so no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I haven't used an instant messenger since smart phones became a thing. What's even the usecase anymore?

some people use their computers to chat w/ other people

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone knows what happens when you pull the rug from under the Insider Preview? I.e. swapping mainboard and CPU? Will it keep on working or will it deactivate or something?

It will deactivate (but it keeps working).

Source: Just did this.

You might be able to beg for a courtesy activation but this is less and less likely post build 1511.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Windows 10 is different, therefore people think it's bad.

In actuality, it's fine.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

An Angry Bug posted:

What gives them the right to unilaterally decide that? Microsoft aren't our IT departments. They're a company that sells a product to end users. MasterLock doesn't get to decide to change your locks because they decide they're not secure enough. Pillsbury doesn't switch the cookie dough in your fridge for a flavor they think you should be eating instead. Being a software company doesn't change this principle. The consumer decides how to use your product, and if they get hurt by misusing it then that's their problem. It doesn't matter if some people have insecure systems, the company doesn't get to override their choice. That's the job of a government, not a corporation.

Found the malware author, guys.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

GreenNight posted:

http://betanews.com/2016/06/22/windows-10-insider-preview-build-14371/

New build details. Included is an "Activation Troubleshooter" that will fix activation issues if you replace hardware.

"You’ll also be able to link a Microsoft account (MSA) to the activation digital license starting with this build."

Cool.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

None of those are apps, they're all desktop programs or components.

Microsoft! Why gently caress everything up?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Gorilla Salad posted:

You know it only now occurs to me that I'm going about this whole thing backwards.

The real issue here isn't Ear Trumpet not saving the levels, that was a workaround in the first place. The real issue was the app I'm using not having a bloody volume control.

Solution - use a different app for internet radio :doh:

So, hopefully easier question - what's a good internet radio app which does have a volume slider. The windows store seems to have a great deal of them and they all look exactly the same to me.

As revealed above, Store apps do not appear separately in the volume mixer. You will have to find a desktop version.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

nielsm posted:

Gorilla is asking for an app to play internet radio where the app playing the radio also has a built-in volume control for said radio, and remembers the volume setting between sessions.

Gotcha, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Junior Jr. posted:

Please please PLEASE tell me there's some software I can download to remove (most, if not all) the new privacy invading crap on the Creators Update. Microsoft are seriously taking this too far with tracking my location and IP, and now knowing which EXACT FILES I'm running.

This poo poo just makes me want to switch to Ubuntu instead.

You figured out your computer is broadcasting an IP address but did you know that your phone is too?