Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Irritated Goat posted:

What? :prepop: You mean my tiny Surface 2 RT might not blow super amounts of rear end when it comes to functionality soon?

No, it still will. There's not going to be an RT version of 10. You'll get one last 8.1 update that will give you a start menu and new lock screen and that seems to be about it before it's abandoned completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

awesmoe posted:

Given that I am happy with windows 7 on a desktop pc primarily used for gaming, should I upgrade and if so why?

You've got a year and nothing requires DX12 yet, so wait and see? You don't lose anything by waiting and you don't have to deal with early adopter syndrome.

e:f,b

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

DemonMage posted:

If your upgrading to Windows 10 there's no compelling reason to bother. Just do the upgrade as is.

If you upgrade to 10 from an illegitimate/pirated version, 10 isn't activated as legit either. He'd be better off backing up his files and doing a clean install of 7 and upgrading from there. It shouldn't take very long even on older hardware.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

The Iron Rose posted:

...good? If a government comes with a warrant they should really have access, and I've no problems with that whatsoever.

They didn't have warrants. They didn't even inform Congress they were doing it.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

The Iron Rose posted:

I know. I'm saying that, in principle, letting governments have backdoor access is not a problem.

This isn't D&D, but yes, there's many issues with letting governments (or anyone) have backdoor access. Just from a technical perspective one huge problem is that it can be exploited. A government agency acting without approval or oversight (as has happened) is only one possible scenario. Any "backdoor", regardless of who supposedly holds the key, can be discovered and exploited to run malicious code or steal data or who knows what.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Whizbang posted:

That's not true.

Yes it is.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Risket posted:

That's what I figured, thanks.

However, that brings up another question: What if you do the free upgrade, and then your motherboard poo poo the bed 5 minutes later? Do you need to purchase a new license with the new motherboard? I'm guessing yes, but that kinda sucks if you have to spend $119 for a license on top of $100+ for a new motherboard.

Reinstall 7 on the new motherboard and do the upgrade again. No idea what happens when the "free upgrade" period ends, though.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

dpbjinc posted:

Important feature for this build:

How long until that feature works its way down to the non-insider builds?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

EoRaptor posted:

Open up a command prompt and paste in the following:
control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper
The ability is still there, MS just hid the UI for it.

That they hid it is dumb and I hope some folks still on the insider track are reporting it as something that needs to have a UI so it shows back up in the regular release without needing to open a command prompt.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Gee, thanks Microsoft for downloading that loving 6 GB Windows 10 updater again! Because me hiding it and turning off automatic updates didn't clue you in beforehand?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

D. Ebdrup posted:

The way I see it, if you're smart enough to need to defer updates, you should probably be using Windows 10 Pro. In my experience, the vast majority of people don't need to defer updates when the computer is setup to start up at 3 in the morning (which it defaulted to, based on normal 8-16 working hours for me in Denmark, at least), install updates and then shut down again, and in fact benefit from having an up-to-date computer.

I shouldn't have to spend an extra $40 just to defer updates, though. Especially since I don't really need any of the other pro features (like joining a domain or hyper-v) at home.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Don Lapre posted:

It would make sense they just do it as a slow kill off to the service.

maybe they will rename it again.

Super-Deluxe MSN-Live-OneDrive-with-Bing now available on your Hotmail Outlook 365 account!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I updated to TH2 and now windows says it's not activated...but I'm in the insider program (slow track). Any way to get it to realize it should be activated?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Lowtechs posted:

What does it say when in Windows Update when you click on Advanced Options? Are you still a part of the Windows Insider program?

It's got my MS account and says I'm all set to receive Insider Preview builds.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

So, my motherboard is dying, and I'm planning on replacing it soon. Are my chances of calling up Microsoft to activate my Windows 10 install on the claim of replacing faulty hardware pretty good?

Edit: I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7.

You should be able to do a clean install of 10 and input your 7 key now.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I got tired of dealing with Windows not activating on my desktop despite being an insider so I just installed and upgraded from 7. Now, though, my keyboard and mouse won't wake my computer. Pressing the power button does work, but that's inconvenient at best. I've tried turning hibernation off and on and off again to no effect. I've also turned the "allow this device to wake the computer" setting off and on for both keyboard and mouse in device manager. Searching the problem only seems to return that suggestion or stuff related to laptop lid-close issues. Does anyone know of other reasons this could be happening?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Goober Peas posted:

A question and interesting info:

Anyone else having to frequently reauthorize your Microsoft account after the big Win 10 update a week or so ago? I swear I've had to enter my password 10 times since.

Got an email at work that we are trialing Win10 starting next week. Corporate environment, 60000+ PCs globally. The driver is a 60% discount on our license if we have x% converted by end of Q2'16and balance of compatible PCs by Year-end.

Man they're really doing everything they can to get as many people switched over as possible. That's a pretty good discount.

Are you using a laptop or desktop? I haven't had to reauthorize my desktop since I signed in the first time, but my laptop's a macbook, so I don't know how it works if your IP changes frequently.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Little Mac posted:

Really? At this point I'd eat the $100 I already gave to MS and just pay $35 more for a Pro key. Where at?

All I have is a thumb drive. My actual HDD is 1TB and only has about 100GB left. :/

Why not buy a 1-2 TB external drive? If you shop around, you can probably find one for like $60-$70.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

wormil posted:

My app store hasn't worked in months, apps don't work either, and other stuff like file search, the start menu, icons, just stop and start working at random. Apps don't even show up properly on the menu. Is there some kind of fix for this stuff? A reliable guide? I googled and tried some things but it hosed poo poo up really bad and I had to do a system restore.

That happened to me and I ended up doing a reset after none of the things I found online did anything (or made the problem worse).

In other news, is there any way to keep things like Get Office and Skype Video and the Solitaire Collection from coming back after seemingly every update? I think I've uninstalled them six or seven times so far.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Gerdalti posted:

What? "New" and "PS/2" don't really jive right? I haven't seen a computer with a ps/2 port in over a decade and I'm an IT guy, I see a lot of computers. Why would you choose that over usb (serious question, not trying to be a jerk).

It's possible he wants true n-key rollover or stupidly good durability? I'm using a PS/2 keyboard to type this, but it's also 26 years old...

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

ApexAftermath posted:

I just recently upgraded my install of windows 8.1 to 10. Everything is great, but I'm running into the same issue over and over. It's more annoyance than anything. The start menu stops responding. I can right click it and get the task list to come up, but clicking the button does not pull anything up. Restarting Windows Explorer fixes it for a bit, running the SFC/DISM repair tools fixes it for longer, but it just keeps coming back.

Any suggestions or is this just a quirk I'm gonna have to put up with? I really don't want to wipe and reinstall the system yet.

I have had the same issue as well and haven't found a solution. The Notification Center seems to stop working at the same time.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
So all of a sudden (as in today) I can't hear any audio clearly aside from system sounds. Playing a video with volume set to 100 is barely audible. But if I "test" the speakers, it nearly blows my ears off. I've tried disabling/enabling the device, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the default Windows driver, I've installed the Realtek driver--the results are all the same. If I plug in my PS Gold wireless headphones (via USB) and set playback through them, the sound is fine.

Everything I've been able to google is the usual "durr have you turned on loudness equalization" b.s. that's essentially worthless.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Stanley Pain posted:

Check the audio mixer and make sure that the particular app doesn't have its volume turned down.

Yeah, I already did. It's all apps, though. VLC, YouTube on Firefox, the built in movie player, etc.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

isndl posted:

Any time I've had weird volume bullshit in Windows, it was because of the setting where Windows reduces volume if it detects "communication activity". Try disabling that (Control Panel -> Sound -> Communications tab).

Sadly, I did that already as well. That was actually the first thing I checked because I've had that happen in the past.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Botnit posted:

How can I get rid of the green highlight showing up on All Programs under Apps without having to repeatedly click Remove Highlight every few days? I'd delete the entire tab if I could but it won't let you.

Also alt+tab used to give me a desktop window on Win8, is there any way to get that back in 10?

If I'm understanding what you want:
1) Settings -> Personalization -> Start -> uncheck "Show recently added apps"

2) It does for me. I don't remember changing any settings to get it to show up or anything, but given how "quirky" 10 is, I wouldn't be surprised if they buried an option for that somewhere.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
There's some baffling bugs and inconsistencies left over that have been somewhere between irritating and downright painful to deal with, but I'm actually mostly okay with 10. Having Pro helps, since I don't get the "we're restarting now, gently caress you" and instead get to tell it to restart at a more convenient time in the future. I imagine if I had Home, I'd be livid after the first time it just decided to restart.

I'm still having an issue with some sounds being almost inaudible and others playing just fine through speakers/headphones, but I'm using a PS Gold headset as a workaround and I don't care enough to keep loving with it. Maybe it'll solve itself in the future. :iiam:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I remember hearing this prediction about 95, 98, XP, Vista, and 8. It gets funnier every time I see it.

Yeah, if Vista and 8 didn't kill off Microsoft with bad press, 10 (which is, again, a decent OS with some irritating bugs and less than ethical distribution methods) won't hurt them in the slightest.

Hell, I'm pretty sure Gabe Aul could personally visit users' houses and businesses and set their PCs on fire and it wouldn't significantly hurt the brand or company.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

fishmech posted:

Er what? If you were ok with how a program ran on that hardware in Windows 7, you'll be almost always be ok with how it runs on the same hardware in Windows 10.

This seems pretty true. It's not like the performance of either is going to be fantastic on old-as-balls hardware. In fact, I'm actually happier with the performance of 10 on my old C2S Acer netbook thingy (though, admittedly that's also probably partly got to do with it being a fresh install vs. one nearly a decade old).

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

spasticColon posted:

My almost 4 year old install of Windows 7 is getting a bit flaky so I'm about to do a clean install of Win 10 on this 5 year old machine (Motherboard/CPU/RAM are 5 years old) so is there anything I need to worry about since this is a somewhat older machine? Will I be able to do an install from a USB flash drive on a 5 year old motherboard?

Edit: Motherboard is a MSI P67A-G45

I have the P67A-GD65 running 10 right now and it's been fine aside from the same kinds of glitches that seem to just be par for the course with 10 in general (start menu weirdness, the taskbar previews disappearing that hooah mentioned, etc.).

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

ILikeVoltron posted:

except when you pin an exe to the start menu and you can't loving search for it because???? :downs:

Or don't have a windows key. :smugbert:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

asciidic posted:

Haven't seen this on any of my machines but I do run into it frequently on clients'. If the problem has ever remained after doing a cleanup/clean install, I haven't heard about it.

Before the November update, the start menu not working at all even after reboot was pretty common, and the fix for it was running this command in powershell:

code:
AppXPackage stuff
then

code:
AppXPackage stuff
reboot

maybe give that a try? :shrug:

I have the same occasional start menu not responding/opening issue and did try this at one point. And promptly broke every Windows Store app on my computer and wasn't able to repair it--I ended up just reinstalling Windows. So, you know, be careful when you're loving around with the app package stuff in powershell.

edit: removed the code blocks to avoid table breakage.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Red Square Bear posted:

I can't remember: is Boot Camp able to boot a Parallels image or is it Parallels can boot a Boot Camp partition?

Either way, I think W7 (pro or home, enterprise is SOL) is W7 as far as the W10 option goes. You can exercise the W10 option, get an iso, and burn a DVD and go from there.

Pretty sure, at least.

Parallels can boot the Boot Camp partition.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Red Square Bear posted:

Oh yeah. Apple: compatible with another software manufacturer? :laffo:

But if you maintain an OS X partition (which you should probably do) then you can at least spin up your primary Windows partition with your parallels license?

Yeah, it's pretty straightforward. You can also just run the Windows applications as if they were running on OS X (i.e. without actually having to switch between the two desktops constantly).

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Did the anniversary update fix the bug where the start menu/notification area/date & time popup would just stop responding? A restart fixes it, but the only "solutions" I've found via google are from shortly after release and involve command-line bullshit that ends up just breaking the store/UWP apps and end up necessitating a reinstall (reset, whatever). I don't even know what causes it since I won't notice until I try to click to bring up the calendar popup or whatever and it won't respond.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I have a question about the whole digital entitlement thing. I have a little nettop that I was using for streaming that I upgraded to 10 from 7 and it should have a digital entitlement like my desktop and laptop. I plan on replacing it in the near future and I'm wondering if there's a way to deactivate windows on it and use the license for something else.

I know that technically the upgrade should be tied to that system, but the 7 license was a retail copy so it is(was?) transferable and it seems like I should be able to move the 10 license as well but I don't know if that's true/possible.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I had a similar problem with wake from sleep and it ended up being that my motherboard didn't like the timing of my ram.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

redeyes posted:

Win 10 has had enough issues I jump at any updates hoping they fixed something.

It feels like they break three things for every one thing they fix, though.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Is there something in the Creators Update that would cause my install to start going incredibly slow on startup? I finally stopped hitting "snooze" on the update and it installed just fine but now it's taking for-goddamn-ever (like 3+ minutes) to get to a usable desktop. I tried turning off the new game mode stuff in case that did anything, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

redeyes posted:

hold SHIFT while rebooting, you should get a prompt Continue to Windows 10 and some other options, choose continue to windows 10. Might work after that. (blame Fast Startup)

I'll give it a try, thanks. If this is true, the irony is beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Are you doing a shutdown instead of just throwing it in to standby a lot? A shutdown on Windows 10 dumps a bunch of stuff in to the hibernation file and pulls from that during startup. I know coming out of hibernation can be a bit of a dog and if you're hitting that with a slowish platter disk it could cause problems. A restart does a full clean initialization without the hiberfil.sys and MS is pretty much depreciating shutdowns in favor of standby.

I've been seeing this after full shutdowns (I'm assuming they're not S4 hibernations since I see the bios self-test stuff during boot) but I've also seen it after restarts (though to a lesser extent), so I don't think it's related to the hiberfil.sys being huge and slow. I could be wrong, though.

I do need to bite the bullet and switch to an SSD for my boot drive rather than a platter, though. I'm sure that would help immensely in general, but it hadn't been quite so slow until after Creators hit.

edit: missed some intervening posts--I also didn't know Windows used hiberfil during startup from "shutdown." Still going to try holding shift during startup to see if it helps.