Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

redeyes posted:

I had a computer with a broken Windows 10 start menu, wouldn't open, gave a message you need to log off and back on and it would attempt a fix.. never fixed it. I ended up doing a repair install with the Windows 10 ISO and that actually worked to fix everything. Food for thought.

Same thing on one of my machines. Straight vanilla install, nothing fancy, but the Start Menu randomly breaks itself? Reminds me of Windows Update randomly breaking 20% of the time on fresh 7 installs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anyone have any idea when he ISO download tool will start pulling the new image that lets you just plug in your 7/8 key to install?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Just confirmed that the November update includes installing from a Windows 7 key.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Boogaleeboo posted:

So you no longer need to go through arcane voodoo [Like using an actual CD drive. The humanity.] to install 10 on a new Skylake computer when all you have is a Windows 7 key?

Yep, I just booted from USB, plugged in the Windows 7 key from the COA on the bottom of the laptop, and everything went off without a hitch. It even activated without hassling me.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
That Kangaroo thing looks cool but the fact that they couldn't get anyone to proofread their marketing spiel makes me pretty wary.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
That's so loving dumb. I have a load of Thinkpads here that cannot upgrade to 10 or clean install with the initial build (it gives a startup error/recovery loop), but the November ISO works fine. Glad I grabbed the MCT with the November update before they pulled it.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Honestly it beats buying CALs for every device that pulls an address via DHCP from your Windows server.

quote:

Q2 - If I have guests that come into my office an temporarily use a Windows DHCP server to grab an IP address to access the Internet, do they need CALs? I guess the takeaway is to never use a Windows DHCP server?

A2 - Yes, they are using a Windows Server service and would need a CAL.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It also related to privacy/legal compliance which is serious business in parts of the world not_America, so legal was almost certainly involved and probably told them to say as little as possible until things are sorted out.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I have the "remote procedure call failed" in Photo viewer happen in my Insider Preview VM pretty often, tends to happen whenever opening the file takes too long according to whatever arbitrary timeout they have. Under high disk load this can be a thing that occurs pretty regularly and in my case at least isn't actually indicative of any issue other than the error message in question being overly vague.

Since these problems started after the hard drive was replaced, I'd wager that you got a bum drive.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 10, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Looks like it's just a standard thing, all my Windows 10 boxes here have port 80 open too :rolleyes: Surely there are better IPC options than IIS on port 80?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
For me this wound up being caused by the USB wireless mouse. Ticking the box shown below fixed it for me..

You can also run powercfg -lastwake and see what woke the computer last. Not sure how well that works in 10 though now that power management is significantly changed. You can run powercfg -devicequery wake_armed and see which devices are able to wake the computer and then work backwards (disconnect them) to figure out which it is. You can also see if there's anything stupid in powercfg -waketimers, which should normally be empty aside from the Windows update task.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 5, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It definitely occurs in our machines that were upgraded to 10 Pro from 7 Pro. As for clean installs I'm not sure.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Same here. We even moved our entire company over to it, zero complaints thus far.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
My only serious complaint with 10 is that they still kept the Metro bullshit around, which means that a bunch of junk that should be in Control Panel is now in Settings for no good reason, and that it's a pain as a result to know where to go for what. For example joining computers to Azure AD has to be done via Settings->System->About because reasons.

Also right clicking on something, selecting "Share with" and "Advanced Sharing" doesn't actually take you to the Advanced Sharing page.

That's all I got.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

redeyes posted:

Google wants to destroy windows not help it. They are not going to make anything other than Chrome.

Come on now, the start menu is basically fine in Windows 10 if you replace it with classic shell. Search is broken but whatever.

ftfy

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

stevewm posted:

Why does everyone hate small business? :(

If you didn't suck you'd grow more and be a real enterprise, obviously.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Take how lovely Windows 10's search function is and then extrapolate that out to the rest of the operating system. Feels good to know this is the new flagship OS we're supposed to run from here on out.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

FistEnergy posted:

Just finished the Windows 10 Anniversary Update and my password doesn't work anymore. I have work stuff on here that I need access to ASAP and I'm flipping out. Google isn't helping me. It's not caps lock or anything like that. Anyone?

Reboot to safe mode with command prompt, net user username newpassword?

If you log on using Microsoft credentials then I dunno.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Considering how often random Microsoft services break/die/whatever it's hard to find fault with people for being paranoid. Heck I remember not long ago the actual service that handled signing in to the service status dashboard for O365 was down. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Stexils posted:

anyone know how to remove the airplane mode button from the network icon popup?

im on desktop so im never going to need it

Next thing you'll be wanting them to remove the other UI elements that only make sense for tablets :rolleyes:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
We had it on about 30 but only because we were proactive about upgrading them.

Doesn't mean it was a good idea or anything.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Pro via digital entitlement (or using an upgrade key) doesn't actually fully upgrade your install to Pro. Lots of stuff (lusrmgr.mmc for example) insist you're still on the wrong edition of Windows.

More fun broken poo poo to discover in 10 every day!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
That's exactly what I'm trying right now, which is sad because it shouldn't be remotely necessary. Fresh install -> Upgrade -> ... reinstall again?

Edit: yep that fixed it.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 13, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Looks like a recent Windows update broke internal webcams on all of our HP machines in every program except Windows' bult-in Camera app.

Chrome, Firefox, Edge, even third party apps like YouCam - nothing (unless you pull the video through Flash (edit: and then only sometimes)).

Camera app? No problem.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 13, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
We've had issues with two clients so far having random DHCP issues this week, so makes sense.

I still have a bunch of machines where the camera hasn't worked in ~10/80 machines for about two months in anything but the Windows Camera app. It'd be nice if they could resolve old issues before moving on to breaking new things in inventive ways.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
We're having this issue on our internal corporate network on a couple of machines so, no this isn't just a DNS issue or something stupid like that. The affected machines were getting APIPA addresses because they couldn't get DHCP leases despite the majority of a /24 available and the DHCP server operating normally.

Only 2 out of 200 machines affected (so far?) but still enough to have wasted a couple hours of my week.

Edit: the one I have logs on hand for show it had a valid lease but was using 169.254.232.106 despite this until we reimaged it.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 8, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

dont be mean to me posted:

Also how many of you are using something like carrier-grade NAT?

Not us.

Believe me, I'd much rather this be something stupid on our corporate network because then it would be easy to fix.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I don't recall anyone in the 80s using viruses to slow down uranium enrichment in Iran but maybe that's just me?

Edit: the 80s/90s viruses only looked sophisticated because we had little to measure it by. Frankly I'll take a TSR virus that shuffles the characters on the display and maybe wipes the MBR over Conficker/Stuxnet/any of the myriad botnet viruses/Cryptolocker, etc. any day.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 17, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Hour-old fresh install of 10, on a 80 gigabyte disk, somehow thinks it has 3.9 terabytes of "Windows Update Cleanup" it can do.

At least it's not stuck in a BSOD loop after getting the latest Insider build like the last install.

Edit: I like how a machine with just the OS installed already has system error memory dump files too.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

redeyes posted:

The first thing is a bug. Reboot, do it again, should be fine.

The 2nd thing is maybe bad RAM memory or something similar. Not windows.

It's a VM so I rather doubt the RAM is at fault here. Also no reason for the BSODs to begin occurring only upon performing an in-place upgrade.

I will say that of the few hundred upgrades we've done this is the first that has utterly broken things, so at least the release track seems to be doing well.

Edit: this is reproducible for us now - installing 1607 then upgrading to 14986 in-place goes from totally stable to random BSODs.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
See it quite often with our machines. The idea is to get one machine fully updated, then let it serve updates to the others - they won't serve updates which are only partially downloaded or in progress, it seems.