Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Ever since the "Anniversary Update" using Alt+F4 no longer lets me shut down my desktop.

The outline of the dialog box will appear for a moment then disappear, forcing me to use my mouse to shut down the computer like some sort of animal.

I know Win+X, U, U will still do it, but there's something just so satisfying about Alt+F4ing everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

keykey posted:

My computer was severely unstable causing random freezes every..???? after the anniversary update, happy MS birthday to me. Fortunately, all my important stuff is backed up to multiple offsite storage places so I just did a wipe/reinstall. The anniversary update no longer crashes my computer, all it took was a format/reinstall which was a pain in the rear end and an hour and a half out of my weekend 2 weeks ago I wasn't accounting for. Apparently it's a bug feature! http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/08/15/microsoft-warns-windows-10-anniversary-update-crashes-problems/#28f2e9a77745

Thankfully, mine isn't freezing, but I do have an SSD, which the article says aren't playing nice with the new update. So, I'll just have to wait for Microsoft and see what happens :(

In the meantime, I've used my keyboard's macro function to map a shutdown shortcut to one of its extra buttons. It works, but it just doesn't have the satisfying feel of Alt+F4ing everything.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Sound levels being wildly different between apps drives me insane. Especially when I have more than one running at once.

whisperSOwhisperVERYwhisperLOUDwhisper

I like TuneIn Radio, but it's just so goddamn loud compared to everything else on my system and doesn't come with its own volume slider - despite what the screenshots show, those ones are from the iPad version. The makers even say they have no interest in putting one in and to use the system volume. But that's no help when the only way to set TuneIn to a comfortable level is to have everything else at the level of a mouse fart.

Thankfully another app called Ear Trumpet lets you adjust the volume of any app currently playing sound, so I can adjust TuneIn down to around 10% and put it at the same volume as everything else.

But there's no way to save those levels :(

So every time I start my computer, or restart TuneIn, I have to leave/turn the speakers off until TuneIn starts up and I can turn it down with Ear Trumpet or else I get my own ears blown out.

Does anyone know if there are any apps which act like Ear Trumpet, but save volume levels?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Sorry, I should have pointed out that apps use the system volume, TuneIn Radio certainly does. And nothing can be louder than system volume.

So, if I turn it down enough to get TuneIn to a proper level, everything else goes down as well.

That's why Ear Trumpet is good - it lets you turn down the volume of an individual app without messing with system volume. What would make it perfect would be if you were able to save the settings you choose rather than having them all reset everytime you either restart Windows or restart the app.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
You know it only now occurs to me that I'm going about this whole thing backwards.

The real issue here isn't Ear Trumpet not saving the levels, that was a workaround in the first place. The real issue was the app I'm using not having a bloody volume control.

Solution - use a different app for internet radio :doh:

So, hopefully easier question - what's a good internet radio app which does have a volume slider. The windows store seems to have a great deal of them and they all look exactly the same to me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So after trying out almost 50 radio apps (seriously, goddamn are there a lot of lovely apps) I finally found one which had the esoteric functions of sound slider and a decent search function - Audials Radio.

Thanks to everyone who helped, and a special thanks to Astral who explained why I had to go on this journey of discovery in the first place.

And a very special thanks to everyone who recommended Sound Trumpet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Hi, is this the thread where I can bitch about what Creators Update did to my computer? Good.

I had thought the update went through okay, so I didn't pay much attention to how all my file preferences got wiped or how Windows wouldn't let me reset them without huge hassle. I can live with that. Windows has done worse to me before, so my standards of "successful update" are set pretty low nowadays. I'm just happy if my computer doesn't burst into flames, you know.

Then I noticed other things. I couldn't save images in Firefox without it crashing. I couldn't open files in Notepad. Photoshop crashed on opening files, too.

Then I realised (after much pain and hunting for answers for each program individually) that it was in fact because every single 64bit program on my system is now broken.

I even went and checked that my Windows installation hadn't somehow turned into a 32bit version. Nope, still 64bit.

It's the only 64bit thing on my system which still works.

I mean, I can run 32bit Firefox and Windows even has a 32bit version of Notepad hidden away in the SysWoW64 folder, so I can manage there. It's annoying as hell, but I'll manage.

But.

I really want all my stuff working again.

I even tried downloading new 64bit programs to see if, maybe, it was just something wrong with all my stuff which was installed when I updated and, nope, no go.

I downloaded Notepad++ 64bit and it crashes immediately when I try to open a file. 32big Notepad++ works perfectly. And so on.

The closest I could find to answers online was from people with similar crash experiences and they hadn't had any luck fixing their broken poo poo either. Even doing a full reinstall didn't help them.

Guess I just have to wait for Microsoft :sigh:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Tried that and no luck, sadly.

Got "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I have the Home version so no gpedit.msc for me. I opened regedit and the EnableLUA value was already set to one.

I would have used the Snipping tool to show you this, but you can guess what happened when I tried to save the image.

Looking at the Program Files and Windows directories however, both are marked as read only. I tried removing the attribute but it hasn't seemed to help any.

At this point I'm considering upgrading to Pro and seeing if that helps, but that's $149 and I'm not at the stage where I'm $149 worth of annoyed yet.

But thanks for all the ideas guys.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

TheScott2K posted:

Why does Microsoft hate per-monitor wallpapers so god drat much?

I have Display Fusion and it works like a dream.

I chose which folders and files to use, can have different selections for each monitor, how the images display on screen and even chose how long each image displays.

Sadly, they've gone and upped their price to US$30, which is about twice what I paid for it.

At $15 it was a great bargain to snatch up. At $30? Yeah, it depends on exactly how much you want to customise your wallpapers and monitors.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I like Pot Player, it's customisable out the wazoo and plays drat near anything.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I finally fixed my issue with Windows immediately crashing all my 64 bit programs and it was the stupidest thing.

Well, okay _I_ was the stupidest thing because I went running around looking for complex solutions rather than doing the basic legwork.

Like rebooting in Safe Mode.

So, yep, in Safe Mode everything worked - meaning it was either one of the services or a startup program which was the culprit.

So, many uncheckings and rebootings later and I find the culprit - a little program called Bins.

I shouldn't be surprised, it hasn't really been supported since Win 7, but it's also the one program I don't want to part with.

It does one thing and (used to) do it very well:

I'm going to miss you Bins, you were great while you lasted :(

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
And they were right - right up until Creators Update.

And it really was a great program. You could not only pin programs to the one taskbar icon, but files as well. And despite the taskbar only showing 4 mini-icons, you could have as many programs or files as you wanted in the popup.

I wish there was something else even half as good to use.

EDIT: And a momentary hope dashed - running it in Windows 7 compatibility mode doesn't stop it from crashing everything :sigh:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 24, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

BrainDance posted:

I didn't know I wanted that until right now. That's so perfect, I could finally shove all my games somewhere.

Shortpopup doesn't put them in a little bubble like that, right? Well, oh well, hopefully it gets updated.

Small bit of good news, I tracked the creator down on Twitter and found this post from April.

https://twitter.com/1UPIndustries/status/855868269361639424

Given that the program is only $5, I'll be buying another copy. It's painful using Windows without it now.

Let's see if it ever arrives.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Something neat I just discovered - when you go to open or save a file, you get a window pop up with the Places Bar on it. The bar comes in two flavours, one is just like the standard Explorer window with a file tree. The other, more old fashioned version, looks something like this:

And I've always found that none of the default locations were ever any use to me. Good news is that you can change the useless locations to ones of your own choosing.

(copied and modified from instructions here on doing it in XP)

1) Launch the Group Policy Editor (Gpedit.msc)
2) Go to User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | File Explorer | Common Open File Dialog.
3) Double-click the Items Displayed In Places Bar setting.
4) In the resulting dialog box, select the Enabled option.
5) Type the paths to your custom folder locations in the Item 1-5 text boxes and click OK

Now you've gotten rid of the useless locations Windows came with and have your own :) It even keeps your custom icons if you've gone and changed them which is nice.

Just a little thing, but handy if you hate having to always drill through folders to reach the ones you actually use.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Bins is an incredible program, but it currently breaks Windows :(

The creator is working on an update, but there's nothing on his twitter at the moment about how long it'll be.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
That's great news! Bins is the best little program.

I must have linked that loving minutes before he updated because it wasn't there when I posted.

Also, I bought the software two weeks after the cutoff date, so I don't even have to buy it again.

And it remembered all my setting from before it broke :allears:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 18, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, if I want to quickly toss a screenshot to disk without requiring third party tools, it was nice.

Why not use Snipping Tool?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Just checked mine, can still jiggle it all about the place.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I use the 64bit PotPlayer.

It has more configuration options than you can poke a stick at, a nice dark skin and has managed to play every single thing I've ever thrown at it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Does VLC have "click on screen to pause video" yet? Or does it still require a plugin?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Arivia posted:

I used to get upset at requests to restart then I installed an SSD. Try that if you're having problems.

Truth.

My old system was so slow, I could literally make a sandwich and a drink in the time it took to power up. Now I've got SSDs and they're so fast I barely have time to get comfortable in my chair before it's ready to go.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Speaking of updates and reboots, I discovered something today when I went to shut my computer down.

If I click on the start menu and go to shut down from there, I get the message "update and shut down" but if I press the power button on my case*, I can shutdown (and reboot) without updating.

If I was one of those fools, I could never have to update my computer again. But that would be stupid.

*If you go to 'Power & Sleep Setting > Additional Power Settings > Choose what the power buttons do', you can make the power and sleep buttons do a bunch of different stuff. Choosing "shut down" apparently also makes the computer ignore any updates and shut down immediately.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That does sound bad, but I've got my windows open just how I like them, so I'm going to go ahead and not restart my PC, okay? :colbert:

That is legitimately something which has bugged me since forever.

Why can't Windows remember what I've got open - and where - after a reboot?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 13, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It's late, and I wasn't really paying attention when this popped up:

All I could think was, "Who the gently caress is that? I don't know that guy or his kid, why are they messaging me in the middle of the night. Is that a petrol station behind them?"

Has Microsoft ever put out an update with people in the popup reminder before?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So our current internet browsing choices consist of choosing between which flavour of poo poo we feel like eating tonight?

EDIT: Thought I was still in the Firefox thread.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It's a loving revelation running Win10 on a SSD.

My startup routine used to be to turn the computer on and then go do other stuff for five minutes, like make a sandwich or iron some clothes before coming back and checking to see if it had finally finished.

Now it's press power button, sit down.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I used mine for a week last month when my mitx board died (it has a Pentium anniversary in) and every case I bought in the last decade was a waste of time compared to it.

Lian li owned. I hope they get their mojo back.

I used to have the Lian Li seashell case and, in its day, it was the loving business.

I had it so long the power button actually wore out and I had to wire in a new one.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Well, I just had the most horrific update of my life with "windows has found a problem with your computer and has to restart" and other messages to that effect coming up a dozen times.

But it got there in the end and a popup told me not all updates could be installed.

Turns out there was only one update in my entire update history with a "failed to install" next to it:

And I'm guessing the reason Windows has such problems installing it is that I'm using Intel - also it has a date from last year. Should I be worried about the AMD update? (I'm guessing, no)

EDIT - :doh: now I see, today's update didn't install at all, but Windows just isn't giving me any message to that effect in my update history, despite opening that window when I clicked on the popup. Thanks Windows.

Right, now to create a system restore point and see what I can do.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 3, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

dont be mean to me posted:

Known issue. If your OS build number in Settings : System > About is 16299.214 you're good.

I'm on 16299.64. So, drat.

Looks like I was right and the last update didn't take. I've made a restore point and I'm making sure all my stuff is properly backed up to cloud storage and NAS before trying again.

EDIT: Okay, restarted without any issue this time (and a huge sigh of relief). But now I'm on version 16299.192.

If 16299.214 is the fully updated, looks like I have bit further to go. Hopefully the worst is passed, because I'm going to go have a drink.

EDIT: aaaannnd we're at version .214 and nothing's on fire. Hooray.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 3, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Javid posted:

Can anyone suggest a fix for this poo poo?

When trying to select a folder, all the extra bullshit I don't care about or use is put above the list of drives, pushing them down off the first page, so I have to scroll down to actually accomplish anything. How do I just get the drives up top where they belong?

loving "3D Objects" I swear to god.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
What's a nice simple email client for Windows that'll still allow me to set up filters?

The default Windows app, Mail, is nice and simple but doesn't let you set up filters. You still need to make them in another email program and it access that. At which point, you've gotta ask, 'Then why bother with Mail?'

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Hungry Computer posted:

I've seen people recommend a program called LittleBigMouse for situations like that, but I haven't tried it. I don't think there's any official solution from Microsoft.

Wow, another program I never knew I needed.

Also, after a LOT of faffing about, I realised you can ignore everything in it except the small "allow border crossing" in the bottom corner.

Check that and it'll pretend your monitors are the same size.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So Windows installed some big update worthy enough to open Edge on startup to tell me about all the poo poo I don't care about.

But what I do care about is that Windows now apparently treats files differently. I have numerous folders I use regularly which are arranged by date. I know where each file is in relation to other files, too.

Now, they're all out of order.

Three files which have sat nicely next to each other for literally years are now separated so far that they're no longer all visible on the same screen at one time. I haven't added or removed anything to the folder for over a week and nothing's been saved, just opened.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Damned if I know. I just know that folders which have not been changed in months containing files which have not been changed in weeks are now no longer in the same order as they were before the update.

They're half PDFs and half MP4s. I open them, get what I need, then close them. That's it.

I mean, it's a trivial thing to be sure, but it's annoying as hell to have to relearn where all my most commonly accessed work files are.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Rexxed posted:

You can change the order in which things appear pretty easily, clicking the "date modified" bar will sort them by date. If you're using a different view mode than Details you can change it to details, sort it, then put it back to whatever you had it on previously (maybe on large icons?) There's more options than that as well:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2980339/windows/how-to-customize-windows-file-explorers-details-view.html

But that's what I'm saying - the files were sorted by ascending date before the update. The files are sorted by ascending date now.

The files have not been modified in any way yet they are appearing in Explorer in a different order than they were before.

That's why it's so weird.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Well I finally fixed things by changed the sorting rules about 20 times.

Change it, change it back. Does it work? No. Change it to something else then change it back again. Repeat 20 times. Success!

Windows in a nutshell, right there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
"You are now logged in to Skype, your username is also your email address, nothing could possibly go wrong with this."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
microsoft photos.exe

The gently caress is up with this thing?

I've been having issues for a while where my computer will suddenly spike in memory and CPU usage and even my fans start running wild. I thought it was malware or a virus but everything checked out.

Looking at Task Manager, I saw this stupid program randomly using up to 50% of my CPU, a tonne of RAM and occasionally thrashing my disks.

So, a couple of days ago, I do a few searches and find that, yeah, microsoft photos.exe just does that - even if you've never opened it :chloe:

Also, I found that going to Settings, Privacy, Background apps lets you stop it.

So, off I go to Background apps and, oh my loving god, there's a million programs there all with permission from Windows to do whatever, whenever. I turned them all off, with just a couple of exceptions. You know, for the programs I actually use.

And now, for the last two days , no more spikes or my fans suddenly running at 100%.

But why on earth is Microsoft Photos constantly running wild in the background for me and, apparently so many other people?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
That would explain why so many Microsoft programs suddenly* need complete access to every image, video and document and message stored on my computer.

Hunting through the rest of the privacy options was like an Orwellian bloody nightmare.

* well, as of Windows 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Why do people who make dark themes always do poo poo like this:

At least the update didn't wipe all my personal files. Probably because I never keep anything in the folders MS wants me to.