Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
What, all the Nazi stuff but no Micro$$$oft? What's the world coming to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Is it still best practice to create separate admin and user accounts on Windows 10? I'd be the only one using the computer and I keep UAC enabled and don't click on random poo poo anyways. I've done separate accounts in the past but it can be kind of annoying sometimes.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
What's the best way to prevent Windows Update Orchestrator from waking my computer from sleep every night?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
What's the feature called that, when I drag a window to (for example) the left side of the screen, Windows will shrink down all the other open windows so I can click on one and snap it to the right side of the screen? Would prefer to turn it off.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Great, thanks all! Specifically, was disabling 'When I snap a window, show what I can snap next to it.'

GreenNight posted:

Snap into a slim jim.

:hmmyes:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

*family feud X buzz* Update Orchestrator runs every day even if you have no updates waiting.

*second X buzz* The update tasks run with SYSTEM privilege, and can only be edited by the SYSTEM account even if you take ownership. Also the task is reset every time update runs to change the time based on active hours.

Try this: Start -> gpedit
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update
"Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates" -> set to Disabled

Heya, this is from a million years ago but I'm finally trying this and there is no longer the 'Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically...' option in the group policy editor.

Anything else I can try? This really annoys me. I'm current on all my updates so there's no reason Windows needs to wake itself up randomly and not go back to sleep again.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

Heh, we tried that group policy and also the system power setting that's supposed to stop all wake timers, and even *that* did nothing! So there's one last thing that definitely works. But two qualifications:

1. It's messing with system files in a way that MS doesn't want you to. I tried this on my machine and had no immediate problems, but then a month later I was getting the "Error 0x800f0982" failures on updates. I'm pretty sure the two are unrelated -- that code is for a language pack error and I think is due to font stuff. (Side note: when Windows tells you that Comic Sans is a critical system font, they're not lying.)

2. These tasks got removed or changed in 1903 & 1909. My laptop only has 1 wake due to update checks in its /sleepstudy history -- I guess MS realized that people hated their computer waking 3 times per night. So if you're still on 180x the easiest way to deal with them is just update to a recent version.

Wow, awesome, thanks! I'm on 1903 but I see there's an update available to 1909 so I will try that first. Just still seems crazy to me that Windows is working this way. Couldn't it just check for updates while it's on literally all day rather than waking up in the middle of the night, finding nothing, and then staying awake...

Unrelated Windows question - when I'm moving windows on top of other windows, something it will minimize all of the background windows. This happens pretty often if I have two browser windows snapped to the left and right sides and then I'm moving some third window around on top of them, or moving a window so it's partially offscreen. I've disabled Aero Shake so it's not that... I also have DisplayFusion installed but haven't been able to find anything in the options there that might affect this. Can't find anything by Googling either. Just to be clear I never want it to minimize windows without me doing that specifically, ever.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Just had a weird thing happen, after starting up my PC this morning (no updates, no changes or anything) mouse clicks weren't registering on applications, I could launch things from the desktop but not interact with the windows with my mouse. I tried a different mouse as well with the same issue. Using the alt-tab and the keyboard worked fine. I restarted with no change with the problem. Eventually I pressed Ctrl-Alt-Delete and after cancelling out of that it's working normally now. I don't have antivirus other than Defender.

Edit: Just started happening again, had to hit ctrl-alt-delete again.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 19, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Well I can eliminate a few of those... my setup is such that my PC can go to either my living room TV (with keyboard and mouse out there) or my office monitor with its own KB and mouse. I switched between them while the problem was happening and it happened in both. Powered keyboards and mouse off and on in case something was stuck. I first noticed the issue when after booting up I wasn't able to interact with the taskbar, only icons on the desktop. Then more recently I was only able to click within an active web page and not the tabs at the top, for example. I wasn't aware of any driver updates since it was working, Windows didn't apply any updates the last time I shut down. It kind of felt like when I used Steam Link and had weird admin/non admin stuff where sometimes the system didn't think I had permissions to click on something. But that's not the case now...

Edit: I ran a full Defender scan and apparently was infected with Trojan:HTML/Phish.AS!MTB, hopefully that was removed OK and was the cause of this issue... changing passwords right now.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 19, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Living room ones are wireless, office ones are not. Did reboot with the issue persisting, but rebooting after running Defender and removing the virus (and running an offline Defender scan) and things are working properly after a reboot now. So could have been a virus issue. Which isn't great but hopefully it was successfully removed and I use a password manager and most things are auto-filled and am 2-factored out the wazoo so knock on wood as far as that goes.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 19, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
OK this might be getting out of the domain of this thread, but I started getting random connection/disconnection noises and was poking around in Event Viewer and noticed that I'm constantly getting 'Microsoft Windows Security Auditing' events for 'Credential Manager credentials were read.' Started about 3 days ago. I'm guessing this is not good?

When I check the Credentials Manager it's empty (for Web Credentials, and I don't really have a Windows account other than my local login so nothing there either) but I have a bunch saved in Edge, apparently it doesn't store them there anymore? Going to change everything regardless.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 19, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Yeah. I unplugged the machine from my network and changed all my passwords, ran a full scan overnight and it found another couple things. Wiping the PC and starting over (also want to reset BIOS?) is OK, but Defender is finding compromised files on some of my external hard drives (not the source of the infection, these are pretty old) and I'm wondering how to be confident those are completely clean because I can't just wipe those and obviously I don't want to re-infect myself later. Current plan: I dug my old Thinkpad W520 (god, what a beautiful machine) out of my closet, will put Ubuntu on it and scan the external HDs with clam-av? Does that sound reasonable?

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 20, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Thanks for the assistance, I'm back up and running now. Took my time but the actual install and setting up was easy, hardest part was being sure about what I could wipe. It's a good exercise to have gone through in any case, I think.

One question - I can make a restore point now that I know is clean, but if an infection happens later on can that get into the recovery files?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
That makes sense, having the install USB and chipset drivers/other utils USB anyways covers that pretty well.

Final question - I spent years clicking through UAC prompts before finally just disabling them on this PC when I set it up for the first time a few months ago. I can't seem to correlate this infection with anything in particular (as far as downloading or installing anything goes). Is there any chance that would have saved me or probably not?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Well it [UAC] is on again now... the thing is I've never, ever, ever see it prompt me for anything except when I actually wanted something to do something. Like it's never prevented something from happening when I didn't know something was happening. And I had it on all the time in Windows 7 too. Well over a decade of clicking through UAC prompts and never once having it pop up on something I wanted to deny.

Klyith posted:

So TBQH I have no idea what the heck was going on with your system or if you even were malware infected

For a few days I'd been noticing some strangeness that could be chalked up to cosmic rays or whatever - mouse stuttering and weird hitching but not too bad, no real performance problems. When I went to shut down there was an untitled program with a default icon preventing shutdown until I forced it. The night before, the screen was disconnecting and re-connecting every so often. The next morning I was having those issues where after startup (and repeated after restarting) I could launch things from the desktop but not interact with windows or the start menu; after pressing ctrl-alt-del and escaping out of it I was able to use the computer normally. A quick Defender scan showed nothing but a full scan showed that trojan on a file I got from BitTorrent - but the torrent itself was over a decade old, the file itself had been downloaded since my previous computer, and the virus didn't exist when the torrent was created. So I figured it must have spread to there from something else. When I unplugged my ethernet cable I started getting frequent USB connection/disconnection noises; when I was messing around setting up a filter in Event Viewer to try to see what was causing it, I noticed almost constant accesses to the Windows Credential Manager (like dozens every few minutes) starting 3 days prior out of nowhere. Looking at the details I saw it was looking up my Microsoft user account (fortunately not really existing) and my BitWarden master key (not so great). I had already reset that master password and was working through my others; fortunately one of the benefits of 2-factor auth is I'm certain nothing was accessed without my knowing about it. These events continued even after Defender was no longer finding any issues after disabling Restore and restarting multiple times etc. When I scanned my external HDs with my laptop, they did find a few other trojans scattered around. In any case this was a good recovery exercise but I'm still not sure what exactly happened.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 23, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I have my taskbar set to auto-hide. Anyone have any idea why sometimes for no apparent reason it always pops out behind any open windows instead of on top? I've messed around with its location and such. Eventually it just starts working properly again. Google provides no relevant answers whatsoever.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I'm only running native Windows stuff but I do switch between monitors (only one at a time) and it does tend to happen after that switch I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
QQ, what's a keyboard command to force a safe shutdown when I've lost all video output and there may be things running that are prompting to be saved or something?