Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Are there any good, free guides for setting up Windows 10 as a home server. I have an old Ivy Bridge i5 that I'm thinking of using for NAS, Plex, and Crashplan (instead of backing up from my desktop). Ideally it would log in and lock after booting, so Crashplan and Plex (or P!ex Service) are up without any work needed from the end user. I'd run it headless and connect via TeamViewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

ToxicFrog posted:

Is this still the case? I know they've changed a lot of the policies around how product keys work and how the 7->10 upgrade works over the course of the win10 rollout.

Context: I have a gaming machine running a retail copy of Win7 Pro. I'm considering upgrading to Win10, but I'm also planning a major upgrade this fall (new GPU, CPU, motherboard, and RAM). If this is going to invalidate my Win10 install and require me to install 7, from scratch, again, I'm just not going to bother.

CPU/Mobo isn't an upgrade, it's building a new PC but reusing a lot of old parts. It's likely that you will need a new license unless you had a retail key.