Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Botnit posted:

Trying to use media creation tool to download 10 and all it does is say "Setup couldn't start properly. Please reboot your PC and try running Windows 10 Setup again". I've rebooted, same thing. Deleted media creation tool and redownloaded, same thing.

What the gently caress?

Don't use this.

Get the ISO (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO) and use the Windows 7 USB tool (http://wudt.codeplex.com/). Use the tool to create the USB media (or DVD, whatever you want). I just did that this weekend for a friends system that was totally hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Perhaps someone can answer this, it was brought up earlier ..

I understand what happens, but WHY does Microsoft litter every single disk I have connected at the time of a Windows installation with what is seemingly critical files for the bootloader to function? I have two disks that just contained data but when you remove one of those the system refuses to boot.

I don't even begin to see a good reason to do this. Is it because of secure boot and all that other crap?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

EoRaptor posted:

Windows queries the bios (or uefi) about what drive it will try to boot from first. It then sticks its bootloader on that drive.

It doesn't matter that the bios will simply go down the list until it finds the drive you are installing windows on, or that the order can change depending on the whims of whoever programmed the bios (new usb keyboard? enumeration order change!). Windows will always jump on that first listed drive.

Extra annoying is when the SATA port order screened on the MB isn't the enumeration order used by the bios.

This is what I expected.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

GPF posted:

I looked but didn't see a useful answer. Best way to get into repair mode/safe mode/etc is to do this:

When the machine starts booting windows and shows the flag, turn the computer off. Hold down the power button, pull the batteries, power cable...whatever.
Do this until Windows starts in repair mode. This will usually take 3 times.
Then, you can choose what to do. Go back in time, reset machine, go into safe mode, all that good stuff you used to get with shift-f8 or f8.

I honestly hate Microsoft so much just for this one thing, not being able to get to those options easily on boot.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Windows 10 seems to have my Poweredge T20 that I use as a desktop (core i5-4960K using iGPU). It runs fine for a few days after first build, then eventually the display stops working (using DP). It's an issue with Windows assigning some setting that causes the monitor to likely go out of range. I can see the Dell boot logo (secure boot enabled) and after it starts the initial windows boot the monitor stops receiving signal.

I cannot figure this out out at all .. ordered a secondary GPU to bypass the integrated. Anyone have another idea?