Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Installed the anniversary update.

I like the side-bar functionality of the new start menu, hate the "here's everything you've ever installed" aspect.

Can I get rid of the "app menu" and keep the side-bar + my selective tiles?

EDIT: Jesus post-its are big now. What the hell.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

This might be a better question for elsewhere, but I'll try anyways.

I've just discovered the magic of powershell and using it to remove default windows 10 bloat-ware.

The funny thing is, I don't think all the stuff windows 10 comes with is really all that bad. Mail, Calendar...they don't seem that bad, and I like the weather app.

Is there a way to make an executeable powershell script to remove the more annoying Windows 10 garbage (I'm thinking groove music, solitaire, xbox) easily? Rather than going program by program every time?

EDIT: Also, this may be more of a deep-dive thing based off of what I've read on google, is it possible to remove specific Office Pro Plus programs using powershell? I got a copy cheap through work, but I really don't need "Skype for Business", "Access" and "OneDrive for Business" at home.

The DVD just installed everything without giving me an option to cherry pick and Microsoft's answer seems to be "Everyone loves ALL OUR PRODUCTS SO SHUT UP". Which is bullshit, by the way.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 21, 2017

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Fats posted:

No, left it blank while installing. I did try the troubleshooter, but it basically says that the device previously linked to my account can't be used to activate this one. v:downs:v

Not a big deal, win7 pro keys are still cheap, but it would've been nice.

Hmm, I know you can deactivate a key, I wonder if it's possible to deauthorize a windows install tied to an MS account.

Never tried it myself.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

IAmKale posted:

Ruined weekend plans due to my mom's frozen Windows 7 PC has got me hoppin' mad. How can I idiot proof Windows such that, when the undeniable allure of a Breitbart article claims her pointer finger, I can reasonably guarantee that she won't pick up some piece of bullshit ad/malware that forces me to skip Disney Land for a day of fighting with a 10+ year old PC? Are Chrome + Adblocker my best bet?

At least now I'll be able to force them to upgrade to Windows 8.1 :suicide:. I wanted them both on 10 but they fought me on upgrading their PCs for so long that their all-in-ones (that they somehow ended up consolidating on) are now stuck on Windows 8.1 unless I pay to upgrade them :smith:.

Another Windows 10 thing to keep an eye out for is the Applicaiton Guard feature that's getting added to Edge.

For your average person, Edge isn't a bad browser, and you can still ad block, but for the non-tech savvy user the app-guard will be a life saver. Basically, Edge runs in its own virtual environment far far away from Windows processes.

I think its only on Enterprise test builds at the moment. My google-fu can't confirm if this'll be a home user feature in the Creator's Update (or ever?) but Microsoft would be stupid not to add it as its another way to save the non-savvy user from themselves.

Otherwise, yeah, non-admin account, ublock (block ads) and ghostery (block ad tracking scripts to make the internet faster), no java, no flash with either Chrome or Firefox.

AlexDeGruven posted:

It's funny to me that people still aren't using ad blockers by default.

Hell, the company I work for (who purchases a lot of online advertising) is currently weighing the ethics of installing ad blocking as part of the default images.

I don't understand how anyone still runs without on their personal computer.

I don't know either, because everyone I've introduced ad-blocking and script blocking then marvel at "how fast the internet is now!"

Its a weird catch 22. Sites want to get paid, but they can't guarantee that:
1. The ads aren't invasive
2. They won't be riddled with malware

Wasn't it Forbes that wrote a big whiny article about disabling adblock right around when iOS got blockers, and if you turned off your blocker, a malware infected ad hit your machine? Irony.

The last saving grace for ad-supported content is most mobile users aren't aware that they can ad-block and mobile is how alot of people access the web now. :shrug:

/end ad-chat

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 18, 2017

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

I've never even opened the store since I got 10 because I am deathly afraid of it and what it means for the future. Is my computer a loving iphone now? If I want a program I'll download it off a website as an exe thank you very much mr gates

I get the fear, but as long as devs don't support it, no one will use it. You can at least take solace in that.

I think if they did push for STORE ONLY, there'd be such an outcry they'd quickly back off.

Macs have been doing the "app" store thing for a long time now, and its a disaster there too. You can still install apps from 3rd party sources on MacOS.

Totally unrelated,

What's the deal with 'Fast Startup"? Is it causing problems with anyone else's Windows 10 install?

Perhaps I should clarify, its not the actual fast startup that's the problem (I like that), its shutting down that's the problem. 7 out of 10 shutdowns, my PC doesn't shut down, at least not right away. Windows says its shutting down, my monitor goes dark, but my PC stays on, sometimes for up to 15 minutes. 1 in 10 times, it doesn't actually even shut down, it turns back on again.

I get what Windows is doing, its building some cache file for fast boot and not actually shutting down when "fast startup" is enabled, but I checked the event logs from when this last happened and they show my PC going to sleep before shutting down. What.

For now, I've turned off fast startup, and that seems to have fixed my problem but I'd like to use the feature because I like the faster boot times. Other than fast startup, my PC is running fine with no oddness. I'll also mention I checked power settings and they're all set to balanced and the PC is not set to power back on after power failure.

I'm running off a platter drive (Hurr....Found the problem! :v:) and I do plan to upgrade to SSD but a cursory glance on Google says this can and does happen with SSDs (I do plan on getting an SSD in the very near future).

Is "Fast Startup" just bugged? Is it any better in the dev-builds leading up to the "Creators Update"?

I probably should just run chkdsk and sfc /scannow to see if anything's gibbled with my install.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

CFox posted:

In my experience fast startup is garbage and not worth messing with. Basically what it does is that it turns shutdown into a deep sleep option and that's how that next startup is faster. This can lead to a lot of weird issues since a lot of things don't work well with sleep anyways so I always have it turned off. If you want faster startup times invest in an SSD like you mentioned.

redeyes posted:

Jesus christ this. THIS! I have to tell people to disable that loving feature at least 5 times a day.

Good to know, off it stays. :)

It'd even started loving up following graphic driver updates in that the first time I book after the upgrade I just get a corrupted pixel garbage screen until I fully power cycle.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

astral posted:

Yeah, that sounds like a driver issue.

The latest Nvidia drivers specifically say in the notes that they have some fixes pertaining to the Creator's Update, so yeah...I'd try that.

Updated this morning, no problems so far. Feels oddly snappier, and I like that I can shrink/hide the ALL PROGRAMS in the start menu.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 9, 2017

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

man nurse posted:

Maybe it's too early for a verdict, but is this "game mode" thing worth leaving on? Is it even known what exactly it is that it does?

Ars Technica did a write up on it. Supposedly, it prioritizes the game providing very very minor improvements on CPU intensive stuff.

Probably going to need a few revisions before its worth it.

Don't quote me on it, but I think it only works in Window-Borderless mode, and I know I get better performance on Fullscreen, so there's that too.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I wonder if you guys can clear up some encryption confusion with Windows 10 for me.

I know Pro, Edu and Enterprise can all have Bitlocker enabled and that's all well and good. I was looking at a client's surface tablet (surface 4, so I assume it has a TPM chip), and under Settings and About, there's a bit about how "this device is encrypted, it needs a Windows Account to complete the process". I didn't catch what version of Windows 10 the surface was running but I assume Home if only because the client purchased the laptop themselves from retail.

Is this the same thing as Bitlocker? Or is this just EFS?

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 10, 2017

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Surface Pros come with the Pro windows edition.

Ah, thanks.

So if I get the client to convert their local account to a Microsoft account, enabling this option is just as good as Bitlocker? Outside Bitlocker not forcing me to hand the recovery key over to Microsoft for "safekeeping".

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

d0s posted:

So there's no way to get security updates and future security updates without it? From what I understand it reinstalls all the other crud that I have to delete every time there's a major Windows update, and I just don't want to do that anymore. I have my computer set up the way I want it, with only the programs I want on it and I don't want that to change.

For the record, I did not have to get rid of Candycrush-solotaire-publisher following the Creators Update.

I also stripped a lot of that stuff out with shell commands, so maybe that's why.

Check it out.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Honest question, is there any reason to use a Windows Store version of a particular application over the desktop version?

VLC WinStore-ver seems to want to be my "Media Center Experience" which I hate, so I'll stick with the desktop version.

Slack is tricker, seems both applications are the same.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

MikusR posted:

What do you mean by Media Center Experience?

Maybe I'm behind on my VLC desktop updates so it may be like this now, but as I use it currently, I open a video file and I get a video player.

I use the Windows App and I get something more akin to iTunes, where it wants me to build a "Library" of video files.

EDIT: Hm, apparently I don't know what I'm talking about. I loaded the VLC desktop application and got the same media centre interface.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

What's the best way to sync a laptop and a desktop, both running Windows 10, so the data between the two matches?

Caveat, I cannot use OneDrive for security reasons.

EDIT: I do have access to a large amount of networked storage, which can be accessed off site using VPN.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

nielsm posted:

Well, 10 doesn't have "glass" effects with background blurring.

"Glass" and blurring stuff is going to start being added to Win10 in the fall with their new "design language".

:getin:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Jethz posted:

The creators update started giving me really bad stutter in BF1.
I disabled the game mode and I installed the latest nvidia drivers.
I am running f.lux, so maybe I need to disable the night light thing in windows itself?

I had the exact same problem (well, sans F.lux) and I think I've fixed it, as the game is running super smooth again whereas before I was getting that stupid FPS notification and at times the game would be unplayable. I still get the occasional drop on Amiens, but its barely noticeable and that seems to be the most FPS intensive map.

I cannot say for certain what fixed the problem, however.

I'm running an i5 3550, 16 gigs of RAM and a Geforce 970 GTX. Yeah, my i5 is likely a bottleneck (task manager says BF is only using 41%, so IDK.) but the game was running fine on a mix of high/ultra prior to the Creators Update.

I did the following:
- Turned off motion blur (not sure I was running this before or the Nvidia Experience turned it back on)

- Created a user.cfg with the following lines:
gametime.maxvariablefps 60
RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit 2
GstRender.Thread.MaxProcessorCount 4 <- Possibly pointless, i5 doesn't have hyperthreading

- Make sure recording overlay for Nvidia is OFF, same goes for Windows recording

- For the heck of it, I also lowered the scale rendering to 92% but I may bump back to 100%.

To be honest, its either the motion blur or the user.cfg that fixed the problem, I think.

A glance at the BF1 forums shows that BF1 does not like the CU update, for some reason.

EDIT: Oh, I also set BF1 to high priority in Task Manager.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 9, 2017

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So on October 17th, do they start rolling out Windows 10 FCU through Update or is it going to be a gradual thing where if I want to upgrade now-now-now, I get an image and do it myself?

I'm holding out hope for a fix to the CU/Nvidia CPU issues, but not a lot of hope. :(

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I have a Windows 10 searching question.

Windows 10 seems to have no problem finding stuff on my C: drive (the drive it's installed on) but does seem to have a problem searching my D: drive, where I'm storing all my music/movies/My Docs.

The D: drive IS indexed.

If I search for a song, let's say "The Sporting Life", Windows 10 says "no results". If I go into the filter and set it to music, it finds the song. I thought the point of the "ALL" option under the search menu is that it would find ALL items that match the search result.

It sort of defeats the purpose of searching if I have to apply a filter to find something doesn't it?

EDIT: I'm running the Spring Creator's Update with the latest updates, if it matters.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Did you repoint the documents/music/whatever folders to where you are actually storing stuff in D: or just leave them in the default location in your profile? The quick search stuff only looks at things in the start menu and your profile, and since some random folders in a different drive have no association with your user profile out of box, they aren't included in the results.

Thanks for the reply. :)

I did repoint the user folders to the D: drive, so Music opens My Music on the D: drive, for example.

Doesn't seem to search music/movies/documents unless I filter.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 5, 2017

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Arivia posted:

Huh. Where are you seeing it? It's not in the Notification panel for me. Maybe it's only if you start the install manually?

edit: Oh, it looks like there was a notification setting I didn't have turned on. Why isn't that on by default?

Where's this? Its not in notifications.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Double Punctuation posted:

It's under Windows Update, in Restart options. Toggle the option "Show more notifications".

Ah, gotcha!

I found it, it was off, and wasn't sure if that was the option I was looking for.

My PC shut off mid-evening, while I was in the other room, to install the update but I didn't realize and was worried there was something wrong with my computer. Its only this morning that I realized it was a windows update.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

astral posted:

Feature I'm most looking forward to: Edge's PDF enhancements. People need more reasons not to use Adobe and being able to write on PDFs is going to make a big difference.

I'm most looking forward to the fix that hopefully gets rid of the CPU spikes and poor game performance. :(

190 pages of soothsaying, witchery, madness, turning features on and off and eventually rolling back to ver. 1604...but apparently that doesn't work anymore either.

The whole thing is bonkers and I feel like its the late 90's and I'm janitoring my first PC again.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I actually liked the default mail app in Windows 10.

Then, in the last day, it started serving me ads.

Really? Microsoft?

They want me to sub to Office365 to remove them, which I don’t need cause I already have Office 2016.

Is there some sort group policy I can edit to get rid of this poo poo?

Alternatively, suggest nice clean and simple email clients? I’m fine with paying for a client, just not subscribing.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Lambert posted:

BitLocker encryption.

Isn't group policy editor Pro only too?

Its somewhat useful in disabling some of the more annoying features of Windows 10, like Cortana. Also disabling the "consumer experience".

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 13, 2018

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Why does Microsoft think I want Candy crush installed?

Disabling that poo poo is a setting in the windows store app, right?

...Because ~*~The Microsoft Consumer Experience~*~.

If you uninstall from the apps menu in settings, they won't come back*

*Until the next big <SEASON + YEAR> Creators UpdateTM, which is essentially reinstalling windows anyways so its no wonder it comes back.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Reddit seems up in arms about how this update is wiping My Docs, My Pictures and My Music? Something to be aware of, I suppose, if you're dumb and don't do regular backups.

That said, my update went totally smoothly and all my stuff is still there (I also back up regularly :smug:).

Aside, I've never had Candy Crush reinstall after an update but apparently that's a thing that happens to the average Reddit user regularly?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

If you hosed with GPOs to try to break your user profile.

"oh no, the time bomb worked like a time bomb!"

Dumbasses.

:psyduck:

Why.

Why would anyone on a personal PC configure their profile to delete through the GPedit? Is this one of those dumb "turn off superfetch and Windows Defender to make it run faster :downs:" things?

EDIT: I can believe this is something to do with OneDrive. The April Update screwed up all my personal folder configuration and created a whole new set of "my pictures"...ect. associated with OneDrive in my /UserData folder, but it also left all my old "My <X>" folders intact on the separate drive where they were residing.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 5, 2018

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Im_Special posted:

Geez MS, don't you test your stuff.

How can something like this be missed. /s

Jealous of your pocket dimension SSD.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Captain Yossarian posted:

I had to tick a box to enable it to delete downloads but it's certainly possible it does that by default for some people lol

That'll teach Grandpa for storing important files in the recycling bin!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

This is surprising

Its a start.

Also surprising.

I guess the telemetry showed a lot of people uninstalling this stuff through powershell scripts or, worse, registry hacks so MS gave in a bit.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Lambert posted:

Hm, seems like plenty of people are being hit with this problem all of a sudden, probably best to just wait a bit for Microsoft to sort out their licensing server.

The real question should be, why is my copy of windows phoning home every day to see if its legit?

Shouldn't it already know?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

owls or something posted:

Is it possible to hide the watermark for now? I don't want to see it while playing games tonight.

Fixed now for me at least. I ran the troubleshooter and my copy is activated again.

Yay.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Weird, no activation issues on my end. Windows 10 Pro OEM. Not using an online account, only a local user account.

Interesting, I assume that's the connection because I was definitely using an online MS Account (just so they can hold onto my key).

Fixed now, regardless.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

A minor annoyance, whenever I sign into my PC I get a notification that "There was a problem signing into one or more Microsoft accounts...." but when I click that notification I go to a screen that tells me all my accounts are signed in and working.

Is it just a delay thing where the notification is getting ahead of the actual sign in process in the background? I tried running the troubleshooter for this issue and it found no issues.

EDIT: Running Win10, latest update and all up to date.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Upgraded to 1903 on 3 computers. No issues so far...on each of them I downloaded the update tool and disconnected USB drivers before i updated though.

So is it just not possible to update to 1903 from a USB? Has Microsoft acknowledged the whole "cant upgrade cause there's a USB device plugged in" is a bug?

I had the 1903 update refusing to update with a USB wireless dongle plugged in. :psyduck:

I resorted to just installing from the update tool instead.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

stevewm posted:

Here is a little "secret".

Starting with Windows 8, when you "shutdown" you are not really shutting down at all. Its actually doing what amounts to a "hibernate-lite".

In my experience, "Fast-startup" has been one of the biggest sources of system-weirdness in Windows 10 and it keeps getting re-enabled with every major update. :argh:

Most recently, Slack refused to remember to start a login and Firefox refused to remember that I didn't want all of my bookmarks alphabetized. Turn off fast-startup (startup is still plenty fast, just not 1 second fast) and suprise suprise, all those settings are remembered.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

fast startup is preserving the state of the kernel so it doesn't have to be re-initialized at startup. slack and firefox are user-mode with no kernel modules. whatever you are observing is either only coincidental or has a different root cause that fast startup happens to interact with.

the kernel doesn't change much unless you're loading a bunch of dodgy software that does weird stuff. don't give your users admin rights, kernel never changes, fast-boot isn't a problem unless you're doing software installs that invoke some kernel driver

Interesting. Didn't know that.

Regardless, my Slack problem is definitely gone so I have no idea what was going on there.

Alphabetized bookmarks in Firefox however, still there. I'm guessing my FF profile is corrupted somehow or there's some sort of jank going on between Firefox and my iCloud bookmark sync.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Okay, so I stupidly tried to update via the update tool to 2050. Got stuck at 99% for 6 hours, so I followed MS’s tips and did the media copy, reboot, copy media back tip.

That got stuck at 31% so I decided to give up until I officially get passed the update but on cancelling, I’ve been stuck on “Please wait while setup is exiting” for over half an hour.

There’s no button and I have no idea if I should just hard reboot.

My data is backed up and safely not on my primary drive.

What should I do?

EDIT: gently caress it, I hard rebooted and everything seems ok now.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 31, 2020

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm having issues updating to Windows 10 May 2020 edition.

I tried manually updating but it always seems to get stuck at 31%. A quick glance at google reveals this is fairly common so I tried all the suggested steps but it just keeps hanging.

If the Update panel says its not ready for my PC yet, might that be why it refuses to even install manually? Do I just have to wait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So my buddy made me aware of this.

Apparently, the IPTT on the i5 8xxx series or better (so i7 too?) counts as a TPM 2.0 module, at least as far as the current windows 11 check counts, it its a-okay if you turn that on in the BIOS. No scrambling for a TPM module.

Just make sure your HDDs are formatted for GUID or you're going to have a bad time (your computer won't boot).