Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
My experience has been pretty smooth for the most part, but I came across an annoying bug(?) just now. Fallout New Vegas is crashy, this is nothing new, but one of its failure modes is a lock up, but not CTD. Used to be I'd three-finger salute and get the task manager up, and kill it to get back to the desktop in Win7. Just tried that for the first time in 10 and the fancy looking new task manager wouldn't show up over the black screen-sized window of FNV. Had to log out from the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen. I hope that was a fluke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Set Task Manager to open over top of other Windows. That setting must've reset itself.

Edit:
This:

is what you want

Hmm, I checked this when you suggested it, and yes it was not selected at the time so I turned it on.

Then I had the game crash today, and had the same problem again. Always On Top had reset again. :what:

Time to download that 4GB patch and hopefully make FNV a little more stable, I guess.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
How can I convince Windows to let go of the past and stop trying to update the drivers for the GeForce 8800GT that was replaced about 6 months ago? I ran DDU (in Safe Mode, with the old card in the system, shut down and swapped cards, then restarted and installed the new card's - a Quadro - drivers). I noticed the continued attempts at updating the old drivers, and ran DDU again (the old card is long gone at this point). Still have the same issue. I think this is keeping the anniversary update at bay. If I can avoid a complete reinstall that would be nice.

This is my update screen.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Thanks, this seems to have done the trick for now. Had to hide the Quadro from the list too, it kept repeating an update every time I checked.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Is it possible to tweak the adaptive brightness levels to be a little bit higher? I like the idea of the screen changing automatically and being a bit more efficient, but even with the slider maxed out the brightness indoors is just a bit too low for me. This is Windows 10 Home version 1809 on a Matebook X Pro.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I recently updated to 1903 on my Matebook X Pro, and the sleep behavior has changed. A couple days ago it started playing a YouTube video that was left open, in the middle of the night when it was closed. This morning, I found it running and warm to the touch (plugged in, charged, lid closed). Only things running were Chrome and some stuff in the background like Steam. I'm also running Throttlestop in the background.

Before, it would go to sleep when I closed the lid, and after a short period of time (maybe 1 hour on battery, 2-4 when plugged in) it would hibernate. I've poked around in advanced power settings, and it is set to not sleep when plugged in (as before), and lid closed is set to sleep either plugged or unplugged. I've toggled those settings off and back on with a couple restarts in between and I'll see if that helps. Anything else I need to check?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

1903 has a new scheduled task for doing updates that runs daily and will wake the PC from sleep. And because it gets scheduled into non-active hours, that's probably when your PC will be in sleep. It's very annoying and there are three ways to fix it:

1. Put your power plan onto a much shorter sleep timer so it doesn't stay awake after running the update check.

2. Disallow scheduled tasks from waking the PC at all:

(this is probably the best solution for laptop users)

3. Disable the specific task ("Universal Orchestrator Start"), which is a giant rigamarole because MS has locked it under the System account and you have to lock it down by read-only-ing a system file afterwards.

Awesome, I'll try this later. Thanks!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

Are those super cheap ebay keys legit functioning Microsoft keys?

I've used two with no problems. Two different sellers, both emailed the code nearly instantly after purchase.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Windows 10: I can't Ctrl my D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
In the latest update for Windows 11, is the bar in the volume/brightness popups broken? The small sun/speaker icon changes really slightly, but not enough to really tell the difference between like 0-50-100%. Volume at least also has the number to the right. I can click and drag on the bar to adjust the level, but it is one solid color. Seems unintentional.

e; Nice. (I'm clicking on the bar)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 5, 2022