Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I screwed up. Installed a technet edition of Windows 8 in Hyper-V, upgraded to Windows 10. Wrote down the 'new' key and deleted the image.

Tried installing Windows 10 from scratch, but now neither the Windows 8 key or the 'new' Windows 10 key work.

How do I fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
From reading some articles trying to figure out what went wrong, I thought Windows 10 doesn't use product keys anymore? As in, you need a product key to install -- but after you install you essentially have a license tied to a particular hardware configuration and not the key itself?

I though that is why I was extra screwed. As in, the key was now tied to a Hyper-V GUID that no longer exists.

When I get back home I'll check what Win10 install media I was using. I downloaded it using the update Windows 10 update tool if that is a clue.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

There has to be some install issue that they've detected...maybe? It's MS, who knows. Christ this organization is so schizophrenic.

Users should "Get the update from Windows Update" - ah yes, the multi-gigabyte update which is a completely new OS install. So install Windows 10...so you can subsequently install Windows 10 - whenever WU decides to show it to you.

They do a nice thing (albeit should have been from the start) with allowing you to use Win7/Win8 keys during the initial install, then do this.

The whole reason I wiped was because doing it this way creates a lot of trash in a VM instance that you can't get rid of. Sigh.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are we still in a situation where upgrading from Windows 7/8 to 10 messes up the license keys in such a way that you technically don't get a new license key for 10, but you invalidate the ones from 7/8, meaning you are SOL if you need to reinstall or move the license to a new PC?

Asking because I have some VMs on 7/8 and would love to move to 10, except for this issue.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

This situation never occurred - the Windows 7 or 8 keys never get invalidated or messed up. However it's true you don't get an actual Windows 10 license key unless you buy Windows 10 outright or get a new computer with 10 on it.

You're not supposed to use the 7 or 8 keys on another computer while you're using Windows 10 on a computer you upgraded using them. But you can revert to using them at any time if you need to.

If you want to be sure you'll be able to put Windows 10 on things made after the free upgrade period ends, you'll need to buy Windows 10. Otherwise, you have to rely on the outside chance that they might allow easy transfers after the deadline. And they're definitely not promising that.

Thanks for the reply. So just to be 100% clear, I can do the free upgrade on any Windows7/8 PC, and go back to Windows7/8 at any time? What I can't do though is, after deadline, is re-upgrade freshly installed Windows 7/8 instances to 10 even if they were 10 before?

I remember there being a lot of confusion over this, namely at the time (soon after the free upgrade) Microsoft was saying there was no key because the copy was tied to a hardware fingerprint instead. Is that actually true, i.e. I can install a fresh copy of 10 with no key on a computer that has been upgraded to 10?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Yes you can go back to Windows 7 or 8 at any time (though you'll probably have to fully reinstall them, if you didn't keep a backup. A backup is automatically created when you install Windows 10 but that will be removed from your drive after a while because it takes up a lot of space). You can also return to Windows 10 on a system that previously had the free upgrade, so long as your hardware doesn't change too much. So for instance, if you just change the graphics card out you'll probably be fine, but if you change the whole motherboard to another one it won't be fine.

Currently if you want to install Windows 10 on such a computer, you just need to have a valid Windows 7 or 8 to input on that computer, if you don't already have an activated copy of 7 or 8 on the drive in question. So long as you have that, and it was previously upgraded before the deadline, it's fine.

Do you know how the windows 10 upgrade works with VMs? Specifically, if I upgrade to 10 on a VM is that key now essentially tied to the VM image somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Installed the bash shell on a box where the Windows user I log in as is 'root', and I took the default option of naming the shell user after the windows user. Having the shell user be named 'root' confuses the Ubuntu subsystem really badly. Is there an easy way to reset it so I can give the shell user a less problematic username?

About the shell in general -- this really is the future of getting posix tools working on Windows, but without good network support I think I'll stick with cygwin for the near future.