Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I got gifted a used desktop with 10 on it, and I have it set up with input director so I can just mouse onto its monitor instead of having a second set of keyboard/mouse. Problem: When I unplugged my (one) mouse from it to return it to my main PC, the mouse pointer disappeared. The mouse still WORKS, I can click on things, but the pointer is just invisible. Some light googling suggests this is a tablet "feature" - when there's no mouse attached, it hides the cursor for touch inputs. What I can't find is any way to turn this stupid poo poo off so I can use this thing normally. Is there a setting I'm missing or am I gonna have to find some way to install a bogus virtual mouse to trick the thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Mousekeys did it. Thanks!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Crotch Fruit posted:

No actually I usually like updating windows, I let my desktop automatically update at 3am every patch Tuesday, check periodically in between, and check the shut down menu daily to see if it wants the install updates. I have never had an issue with updates interrupting me on my always on desktop with 10 Pro. The laptop on the other hand, doesn't have the luxury of running 24/7 for 3am updates, instead it gets shutdown and rebooted far more often thus having more chances to conveniently install updates. To say this is my fault for ignoring update messages forever is simply not true as the laptop wasn't even running for multiple hours. The laptop had plenty of chances to install updates when convenient, I try to run updates and reboot it often, I find it hard to believe this is not a poor decision in Win 10 Home update management.

The :effort: fix to this is to set whatever wireless networks you use to "metered" or whatever so it doesn't auto-download and you can do it manually when you want to. This has worked great as a "leave me the gently caress alone" button on similarly utilized devices of mine that the group policy fix didn't work on for whatever reason.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

So you're upset that the OS did what you directly instructed it to do? OK.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So my lappie has a fingerprint sensor. I think, what a great feature. I will do the responsible security-minded thing and turn on 2FA, right?

Friggin' no. If I turn on the fingerprint thing, it only let me sets a PIN. Is there ant way I can set it to use a password + fingerprint?

(Still a step up from my phone, though, which STILL won't let me 2FA either.)

It's great when they almost do it right, and then shove a bunch of extra bullshit in there that makes nobody want to use the "better" security.

Can anyone suggest a fix for this poo poo?

When trying to select a folder, all the extra bullshit I don't care about or use is put above the list of drives, pushing them down off the first page, so I have to scroll down to actually accomplish anything. How do I just get the drives up top where they belong?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If it can just "install wrong" and you have to nuke it and reinstall to fix it, it doesn't work correctly.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I got gifted a hand-me-down W10 box from my very serious gamer brother, having never touched windows >7 beyond quick email checks.

The first morning I found it had rebooted without permission I went and figured out how to turn that poo poo off. That behavior is not at all OK, pretending like people can just abandon long-running software because Microsoft apparently couldn't foresee the possibility of overnight jobs being run is ridiculous.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

On Windows 10 Pro it seems like it I tell it I'm on a metered connection (i.e. pay-per-gigabyte), then it won't download any updates. Does anyone know if it actually honors that indefinitely?

That's what I've done. It complains every week or so that it can't download updates, but that's it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It's cool to see how Windows users have caught fully up with Linux users in the "we know better than YOU what YOU need on YOUR computer" department.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Nobody (well, only the fringiest of cases) would be trying to disable updates if there was literally any wiggle room between "tear out the update service with a crowbar/block its IPs at the firewall level" nuclear option type poo poo and "updates restart your computer at random without permission".

Windows 7 lets you be prompted to install and you can do it at a time that actually works. This was a pretty good setup.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Less Windows and more battery, but: I have a couple laptop/netbooks I rarely if ever use. Is there anything I can do to keep the batteries from degrading prematurely from disuse? I don't wanna be constantly plugging and unplugging them and doing upkeep like that if I don't have to.

Like I only even power them up when I travel, which is like monthly at most.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

When I get one of those dumb chatbots I just paste "live human now" into it until it does it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I swear some people have a mental condition when it comes to Windows Update. It's not that big of an inconvenience, just install the updates.

Not like an update has ever been a land mine that makes your device take a poo poo or anything.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Anybody who wants "notepad, but better" is probably already using notepad++ or another equivalent.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

It's great that Microsoft has finally gotten Windows to such a stable, consistent, and useful state that they can start working on trivial poo poo like Notepad, which we all abandoned and replaced for anything serious >10 years ago.

PRIORITIES.

Pretty much this. 90% of what I used notepad for was jotting down small things like URLs and such. The other 10% was composing effortposts or stuff that's gotta go into a webform that times out. For the former I now just dump it in an irc window that my irccloud client is in so it's saved and available on my phone; the latter gets np++. Exactly nobody gives a gently caress about them adding poo poo to notepad.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

isndl posted:

I absolutely won't fault anyone for delaying updates (as I mentioned earlier I'm on a 30 day deferment myself), but there's a big difference between waiting on updating and disabling updates entirely. Nobody in this thread asks how to delay updates, they only ask how to disable them.

When a particular feature of the OS is like playing russian roulette with your computer, you're going to turn it the gently caress off, not hope it's better in a month.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Jdownloader is great for :effort: ripping video or audio from YouTube, anyway. No need to use an extension.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't disagree, but that's not really the point

No their store policy is flaming dogshit, but the solution to that is to just not deal with the store in this matter at all

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Lambert posted:

Samsung Internet is Chrome with adblocking extensions, it's great. And available for all devices (not just Samsung) through the Play Store.

nice

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It's almost as though the correct solution is to let people configure what information they do and don't want

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Which in turn gives me flashbacks to running it on a 40 mb hard drive overnight

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Sure, it's easier, but having to root around in settings to correct things is the sort of unnecessary, tedious friction that makes people avoid updating.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Unclear error messages should be a federal crime, jesus christ

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Honestly I'd rather get "Error 0x29385748931579074" than *frowny face* *fart noise* "Oopsie :( :( :(" because at least I can loving google the hex string and get SOMEWHERE

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Lambert posted:

Unfortunately, it's not longer possible to set the system to not reboot automatically.

It is, it just involves a lot more work than manually flipping a setting. So now everybody who needs it is far less likely to re-enable the functionality after they finish whatever they were doing. Security!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Raygereio posted:

I just set the group policy for windows updates to not automatically download & install poo poo and never looked back. Installing updates when I want to do so is infinitely more convenient then a computer rebooting whenever the gently caress it feels like.

Pretty much same. I will tell Windows when it's a good time to update, not vice versa. The computer exists in my life to make certain tasks easier, if it can't do that because it decided it needs to install an update RIGHT NOW with no cancel button, it has failed at its primary function.

AlternateAccount posted:

Also, all people want is the ability to opt-out. There's a lot of green zone to give people more latitude on update management and how much information they want to give Microsoft.

Plus there are ALWAYS ways to opt-out; they're just a lot more nuclear. Refusing to provide intermediate options, like the "queue updates for approval" model every previous windows version has, just pushes people to hard disable the service or whatever other workaround, at which point they're far less likely to turn it back on. Security!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

And that attitude is why people stop dealing with that bullshit and just hard disable updates so they can continue working uninterrupted

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

Maybe that's what they want to do with their consumer level set up that they paid for

Pretty much. Nobody needs to justify why they want a device they paid for and own to not close their poo poo without permission.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Or the system could just reboot when the admin tells it to, and at no other time. Other people scheduling their updates around their life doesn't prevent you from dropping everything to do it on windows' schedule if that's what brings you happiness.

I'm actually setting up a laptop right now for what is probably the worst case scenario as far as keeping updated; 90% of its internet access will be on a heavily metered and shared connection, so auto-downloading of windows updates without user approval is absolutely off the table; definition updates for Defender would probably be fine since they're generally smaller. The 10% of the time it gets dragged to somewhere with decent internet, it's for a reason, and it can't just immediately max out the connection catching up on updates while the person is trying to work. I'm going to harden it as much as I can before shipping it - so defender, Chrome with ad and script blocking mainly - but further suggestions for keeping this thing as secure as possible would be great.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Stupid Windows question:

I have an older tablet pc, the drivers for which seem to only exist in 32 bit even though it's a 64 bit device. Having not had to deal with 32 bit anything in a while, I know 32 bit apps can run on 64, are drivers the same or what?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'll clarify, it's an HP tx2500 convertible tablet PC, not the sort of device we call "a tablet" here in 2019. Originally purchased in 2008, it came with 32 bit vista for some reason even with a 64 bit processor. I wouldn't be entirely opposed to giving windows 10 a fair shot on this thing if it wasn't two hundred dollars

Current problem:

this is an utterly virgin install of windows 7 so I don't know how windows update is already hosed, lol

Javid fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 22, 2019

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

On the opposite side of the update spectrum, I wish there was a "just install poo poo and reboot as needed" mode I could activate initially for devices installed with older media. Let it just catch everything up overnight without any manual input.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

On my recently resurrected tablet, pairing my Bluetooth headphones to it shits out. Like its bluetooth stack can't handle it or something, despite the headphones having Just Worked with literally every other device I have paired them to in the last 2 years I've had the things. Fully updated Windows 7, as in zero packages available, apparently the last ~decade of windows updates I spent last weekend shoving down the thing didn't include that. The only useful-looking google hit said to install a third party thing that didn't do poo poo, so I'm hoping somebody knows more than me here about windows 7 bluetooth poo poo I guess.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

poo poo that isn't the program I am currently using should never be able to draw on top of said program. If it's so goddamn important I have to read it NOW, it's definitely too important to risk me unintentionally typing into it and closing it without ever realizing what the gently caress it was.

e: new page, gonna repost my question from last week since it got missed:

Javid posted:

On my recently resurrected tablet, pairing my Bluetooth headphones to it shits out. Like its bluetooth stack can't handle it or something, despite the headphones having Just Worked with literally every other device I have paired them to in the last 2 years I've had the things. Fully updated Windows 7, as in zero packages available, apparently the last ~decade of windows updates I spent last weekend shoving down the thing didn't include that. The only useful-looking google hit said to install a third party thing that didn't do poo poo, so I'm hoping somebody knows more than me here about windows 7 bluetooth poo poo I guess.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It's a swivel screen from 2008, it came with Vista. It's on 7 because the last drivers for the digitizer hardware are, as far as I know, Vista/7 only, and that the thing is pretty great for drawing is the only reason I'm even using it over a device made in the current decade.

Re: games, yes, it can sit in the background and flash its taskbar icon, the effort required to manually click on it is worth never having poo poo pop up while I'm working.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

it's much like how I have to occasionally manually allow popups on a site that uses them for legitimate purposes; it's annoying, but far better than the alternative.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Force programs to load quietly in the background then create a taskbar button that flashes when they're done. Too many apps think they're so important we need a splash screen with a progress bar, gently caress off to the task bar and I'll get to you when I get to you.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

That's a pebkac problem, not a programming issue.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I keep a powershell script to sort image files into folders by date taken on my DSLR's SD card. The script runs fine on both my main PCs, but on my travel tablet it just does nothing. The cmd window that running it opens just disappears without telling me anything, but doesn't move any files. Trying to run it via the powershell command line itself does nothing, also:

This is a fully updated win7 device, as is one of the devices the script works on, so I don't know what the gently caress. How do I get this thing to work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Modern uTorrent is wet poo poo, 2.2.1 is the latest version that just does its goddamn job and stays out of my way.

I get those uac popups, too; I don't know what it wants it for but I just deny it and it works fine anyway.