Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

UAC isn't an "inconvenience" and you shouldn't be turning it off because it breaks a bunch of stuff like file integrity levels virtualstore redirection and protected mode all of which are used by more applications than just IE. It's roughly equivalent (and probably worse) than running everything as SU under linux. Knock it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

AV is a necessary evil if you don't have a proper walled garden, image execution whitelisting, and proper app isolation. This is possible on the Windows platform and I guarantee you are not doing it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Double Punctuation posted:

AV, yes. UAC, no. Turning UAC off means you're running everything as admin. Even if you live in a magical fantasy world where you are perfect, software will still have bugs worms can exploit. Running as admin means those worms can do anything as opposed to just loving up your user profile. You also can get compromised software that will suddenly need admin access; UAC appearing is a pretty big indicator something is wrong there.

Everything you care about is in your profile. The stuff today isn't like ten years ago where it would be pegging out a core blasting the network making it super-obvious. You as an individual have little to no idea what is executing in your context and thinking you do because you have "good browsing habits" or whatever is idiocy.

Flagrama posted:

As if anyone who disables UAC is going to do that.

Not to mention disabling UAC will turn off the integrity levels for filesystem/registry which impacts all accounts and removes what limited app isolation model exists in the OS.

redeyes posted:

AV is necessary if you don't fully understand the internet and windows. It's totally possible to run without UAC and AV and never have a problem for "experts".

Yes, it is possible to be lucky. It's possible to not wear a seatbelt and never die in a car wreck. It doesn't change the fact that you personally have no idea what is executing under your user context on a regular basis.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hooah posted:

I've recently had a couple incidents where Windows (10 Pro Creator's update) tells me that I need to close programs to save memory. Thing is, when this happens I'm not doing anything more intense than I usually do - a Firefox window with ~10 tabs, a Chrome window, mail client, pidgin, music player, maybe an IDE, and the usual background cloud-syncing services. I did have this crop up while playing a game a while back, and I ran memtest86+ overnight with no issues. What else could be causing this problem? Just now it straight-up crashed Firefox.

I've had problems with the AMD ReLive driver features leaking memory like a huge piece of poo poo and ballooning out the pagefile. It can be configured to record your desktop too which would cause that problem to crop up after some period of time.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

You can talk to MS all you want if you drop $500 to open a support call. I have done this exactly once.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I usually dump my Bing! funbux in to a onedrive subscription for the year

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Hungry Computer posted:

Does anything show up with powecfg -requests or powercfg -waketimers?

This is probably it. Windows Media Player will create a job that wakes the system in the middle of the night daily so it can download updated TV guide listings even if you don't have a tuner card. Very sloppy.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

If you have lovely "Enterprise Software" that breaks for inexplicable reasons between major Windows revisions and it takes months or years to get a patch rolled out to support it then you are way safer on LTSB.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I had similar constraints with my old job and went with LTSB. You're going to lose out of rapid feature iteration (AND THE APP STORE!) but if you've been sitting on Win7 for going on 10 years like I expect then getting up to 2016 LTSB is such a massive feature jump that you probably won't care too much about the feature trickle coming out of the standard release channel.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Deferring updates on the standard release version because a feature change breaks app compatibility means you also have a mess of CVEs you also aren't patching for. With the LTSB you at least somewhat decouple the security updates from the ones that modify functionality of the OS which somewhat reduces the risk of application compatibility issues. If you aren't prepared to roll out everything MS pushes on patch Tuesday within 30 days hell or high water then you're better off sticking to LTSB.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Does "Full UEFI" mean it's enabling SecureBoot? Because only Win8+ supports that and you'll get the kind of boot halt you are describing.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Well your long-running computation should ideally be saving its state regularly just in case, but it's hardly The Problem™ here. The problem is the computer rebooting when it's busy just because you're not there to hit the WAIT NO button. The OS shouldn't be inherently unstable by design which is basically what's happening here

A RCE doesn't give a poo poo if you aren't on your computer for execution.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Alder posted:

Is it possible to activate Win 10 Pro on my new PC with the same key if I can't access the old PC since it died? I never made a MS account. The old PC upgraded via Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro and it's not a OEM license. I searched for transferring Win 10 keys but they require me to access the old PC which I cannot since it's dead.

Otherwise I guess I can live with the trial forever and blue is my favorite color...

If you have the old install on a drive or backup you can pull the key with the magicaljellybeans tool. Just point it at the system registry file in windows\system32\whatever

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Xarn posted:

I have Windows 10 Creators update (updated WSL is the bomb), and I am thinking about enabling BitLocker, because I need at least some parts of my FS encrypted for work reasons.

What are the chances that I will be left with unusable laptop for a while? (I don't have another PC to create installation media from here, and I will be here for another month or so.)

It will prompt you to backup the recovery key and encryption key to one or more locations: file, print, or one drive. I've gone through the recovery workflow many times, its consistent and plenty of tools support bit locker volume mounting. It's safe.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Xarn posted:

I was worried more about finding out that some improperly tested update means that bitlocker encrypts the volume with different key or something like that :v:, even a day's downtime is OK.

I've been managing it in a corporate environment for years and I've never seen anything like that. The only big issue is that it uses the concept of a secure enclave between things like the TPM, firmware levels, OS boot sector, and some other attributes and if any of those change the TPM won't release the key until you type in a recovery key so make sure you have it accessible in some way. It does this because modifications to the attributes it monitors could all be potentially malicious so it wants to prompt you to make sure it was a change you are aware of.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

FYI Microsoft does cert pinning for pulling windows updates and some AV/malware/whatever platforms will locally proxy/MITM TLS sessions which makes WU download break because the agent sees some random cert on the socket and says gently caress No.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Use your Zune to squirt a request to patch and reboot

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Flagrama posted:

I think we're confused here. I'm fine with the current system of random reboots while I'm sleeping. I'm just saying that the idea baka kaba brought up would mean my computer would never get updated.

But, I run the videos on my computer just as background noise most of the time and sometimes watch them if something catches my interest. I'd do the same thing with cable TV if I had that.

Hahahaha I can't believe this general use computer configured to execute arbitrary code has to reboot occasionally unlike a television!!

drunken officeparty posted:

A compromise I would grudgingly accept is if it forced updates the next time you manually restart. So I can play the "how long until my power goes out for a second" game of keeping my computer on but it will happen eventually.

It already does this. When updates are pending the shutdown options change to Install Updates and Shutdown or Install Updates and Reboot. Microsoft is giving users multiple ways to doing this at their convenience and these people are ignoring them and then still complaining.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Klyith posted:

lol
times i've been pwned by a botnet and lost work: 0
times i've been pwned by win10 updates and lost work: 2

gently caress off yourself

Yeah okay Neo, I'm sure you're inspecting the code that is executing on your system for compromise.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

dissss posted:

You jest but my parents LG 'smart TV' has done just that a couple of times

Most TVs have become giant tablets and I hate it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

My computer was acting super weird so I restarted it and it updated. From the update log it looks like it tried almost 15 times to do

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 for Windows 10 Version 1607 and Windows Server 2016 for x64 (KB3186568)

And failed every time. That's the only thing in the log for todays date. What is happening.

And for other dates there's a mix of failed and successful ones. No idea why any are failing. It also doesn't even alert you that anything failed. I would never have known anything was wrong if it wasn't for my hateboner over 10 compelling me to look at the log to see what shifty poo poo was installed this time.

I had to manually download and install that one to get it to stop messing up. I figure they'll fix it in the windows update channel eventually but I didn't want to deal with the endless cycle of failed updates any more.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

redeyes posted:

Settings drops back to the classic control panel way way too much. It pisses me off

Yeah, the half-measures suck and I was expecting that to be finished with 8.1, then 8.1update1, then 10, but they keep blowing it every time.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Win10 is going to be a bit less graphically taxing because they dropped the aeroglass effects and whatnot but even old, old integrated graphics held up to the 2d and video stuff well enough. Driver support is really your issue, safer to stay on 7 or maybe bump it to 8.1 if the driver was supported there.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why?

Why the gently caress is Windows always doing some performance impairing poo poo in background? Today I noticed my system being pegged at 100% for no goddamn reason, and it turns out Windows is get logging some presumably useless poo poo I didn't opt into. This went on for almost ten minutes. The goddamn file in question is only 2MB large, so I'm not sure what ten minutes at 20MB/s did actually do!

Oh dear God, please get Shantanu Narayen to see the light and port the loving Creative Cloud to Linux, so I can leave this annoying as gently caress operating system!

--edit:
Oh for fucks sake, it's doing this whenever I play GTA5. So this goddamn operating system ate away at my write endurance whenever I played this game, and it was a lot. I'm so tired of this poo poo!

--edit:
Oh wow, I "fixed" it by setting it to read-only. Now Windows Defender is going at it, tracing some bullshit judging the filename, with constant 2MB/s while the game's running.

Yeah, I have similar problems with the Compatibility Telemetry check thing. Slams the CPU at weird times and doesn't schedule as background priority. Thanks, Microsoft.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

It's for people who basically run a server on their desk for personal work but don't want to run the full server OS. Its a niche product, doesn't really matter for most people. You don't care about rDMA.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Going by the MS docs rDMA has been server-only and Pro for Workstations is the only desktop SKU getting it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

That reports hardware/driver support of the feature, licensing is a completely different matter.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Magnus Praeda posted:

Is there something in the Creators Update that would cause my install to start going incredibly slow on startup? I finally stopped hitting "snooze" on the update and it installed just fine but now it's taking for-goddamn-ever (like 3+ minutes) to get to a usable desktop. I tried turning off the new game mode stuff in case that did anything, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Are you doing a shutdown instead of just throwing it in to standby a lot? A shutdown on Windows 10 dumps a bunch of stuff in to the hibernation file and pulls from that during startup. I know coming out of hibernation can be a bit of a dog and if you're hitting that with a slowish platter disk it could cause problems. A restart does a full clean initialization without the hiberfil.sys and MS is pretty much depreciating shutdowns in favor of standby.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

bigis posted:

Could this be why I get unexplained 100% disk usage for 5 or 10 minutes when I open my laptop? I've tried just about everything to fix it.

Definitely. If your power profile is configured to transition from standby to hibernate after some timer you might want to try turning that off and only having it hibernate if the battery charge hits a certain threshold. Resuming from hibernation makes the system suck for a while on slow disk but hey, at least you saved your application state.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Windows 10 keeps making the jingle sound like I'm plugging a new peripheral in, then removing it seconds/minutes later, but not giving me any kind of notifications. Is this a well known bug? Is there a place I can look at the history of what's been plugged and unplugged? Can anything else cause that sound?

Check your event log, this happened to me and it was the windows store updating the built-in apps and it stopped after an hour or two. It's idiotic.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Right click on the start button, there should be an option called Event Viewer. See if there are a bunch of entries in the Application Log of apps updating that correspond with the sounds.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I would much rather get my licenses from non-dubious sources such as Lenovo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

This truly is the year of linux on the desktop.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

BrainDance posted:

Just to get this out of the way, I know why UAC is super important and I will never, ever disable it.

But, I was wondering if there is any way/3rd party tool I can use to disable the UAC prompt on some specific applications, or even just a single shortcut somewhere to an application?
I've got some programs that bring up the UAC prompt every time I launch them, things that have to be run as administrator and stuff. The programs never really change, and I'm always going to give it permission. Anything like that out there? It's no big deal, but if I can do it then it'd be nice to do it.

You might be able to pull it off by enabling the built-in admin account and executing with runas /savecred /user:administrator [some program]. The built-in admin auto-elevates without a prompt last I checked and that should save the alternate credential for you.

Oh, or create a task scheduler job to execute the program elevated as your user and manually run it. That might do it too.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

RDP has a way better track record than VNC and is more mature than PCoIP. It's pretty much The Standard for gui remoting, and obviously SSH for cli access.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Did you repoint the documents/music/whatever folders to where you are actually storing stuff in D: or just leave them in the default location in your profile? The quick search stuff only looks at things in the start menu and your profile, and since some random folders in a different drive have no association with your user profile out of box, they aren't included in the results.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

What does this mean? Its a USB device?

code:
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
  Wake Source Count - 1
  Wake Source [0]
    Type: Device
    Instance Path: USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&230f5685&0
    Friendly Name:
    Description: USB Root Hub
    Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)

You should be able to trace that instance path field back to a specific USB device in device manager and disable its ability to send wake events from there.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

My friend has a mirrored RAID and it is suddenly super slow... is there a way to see in Windows 10 if it is out of sync, or no?

Usually the driver is bundled with a utility that will allow you to see array health and issue commands but that is completely dependent on the vendor being used.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

He just has the raid set up in Raid 1 (two drives) from the BIOS, Intel Chipset, we checked the bios and it says "verify" in yellow text so I guess it is going some kind of resync.

Will installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology on Windows let us see more detail, or is that only for raids configured within Windows (i.e. software raids, as opposed to bios raids)?

Verifying in that case means its doing a re-sync and scanning the drives to look for differing data. It's going to be slow as all hell until its done. Thus is the magic of raid arrays. If you made the array through an Intel chipset then yes the RST driver set will have an app that will give you a Windows GUI for seeing array health.

Eletriarnation posted:

Intel RST is for managing hardware RAID on the motherboard SATA ports. The tool for managing Windows 10's software RAID is called Manage Storage Spaces, or the older implementation through dynamic disks was in Disk Management.

RST is for managing intel software RAID same as anything else.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

UAC and filesystem permissions just slow things down. Convert the filesystem to Fat32 and get me back close to the bare metal, just like Windows 95