Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Intel raid is basically a software implementation in UEFI/BIOS instead of the OS. There's no dedicated processor/ram like at LSI card and all the workload is sent to the shared resources, similar to the old WinTel software modems that became popular. Nothing necessarily wrong with it, but its not hardware raid. The Intel software will only work with their arrays, all the vendors to my knowledge do their own proprietary thing for drivers and controlling software. Intel does make some hardware raid controllers but that's all for server class hardware. Not sure if RST would know what to do with those, probably a separate software package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

repiv posted:

I'm the people who are terrified of Microsoft telemetry yet willing to install unvetted kernel code from some random internet person.

Please reboot in unsigned kernel driver mode to install our Maximum Security Software

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

djssniper posted:

That's just SMB 1 though right? our sys admin shut that off on our server a few weeks back when that appeared, which screwed our ricoh scanner as it only used that protocol to save

I think the key is being able to get files remotely on to another system where the indexer will parse them. SMB version doesn't matter here.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

redeyes posted:

You see, every business has an entire IT department complete with test rigs and a dev environment.

If its important they would. If its not, then the risk is on them so: tough poo poo.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Medullah posted:

Something is causing my PC to stutter and slow down every once in a while. It's super sporadic and driving me nuts, I can't figure out what is causing it.

I know how to use ProcMon, but is there any good system monitoring software that can track RAM and CPU usage?
Process Explorer

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The worlds most advanced operating system looking out for your best interests yet again.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Its under the Configure Automatic Updates policy, checkbox at the bottom.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

FWIW, after a lot of digging around, it turns out the WINDOWS ANTIMALWARE SERVICE was just ruining my disk constantly.

It runs background scans on the disk that are scheduled, but it should be running that IO as low priority and causing minimal impact to user interactive processes.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

nielsm posted:

So far the differentiation has only been licensing for multi-CPU-socket machines and huge amounts of RAM, as far as I know? Just a couple "server features" added to a "desktop" SKU.

You get SMB-Direct as well, that was Server only until now.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Mr Crucial posted:

Has anyone else come across this issue: a brand new install of Win10 1709 in a VM. However, most of the trusted root certificates for the internet are missing, so that almost every site on the web gives me a certificate error with an untrusted root CA as the issue. This even includes Microsoft's own website rear end well as Google and Mozilla, so I can't download Chrome or Firefox to try and get around this.

It's massively irritating and a Google search has failed to come up with any solution. Apparently trusted CA certs are pushed out via Windows Update but I can't find the one I need published for download anywhere.

Root CAs come through an automatic routine that runs daily or Windows Update failing that. The root trusts ship pre-loaded regardless. Neither of those would function if your trusts were wiped out. Either your image is tampered with or something else that was installed wiped it out post-install.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Turns out that Microsoft is poo poo, as was expected. Disabling that :nsa:-assisted poo poo from defender settings stopped the head seeking and the HDD is actually fine.

code:
Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
  51038892 free clusters processed.
Free space verification is complete.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

2861458 MB total disk space.
   2660766 MB in 503399 files.
    233048 KB in 55030 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
   1120304 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 204155568 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 732533503 total allocation units on disk.
  51038892 allocation units available on disk.
Also that thing took a lot of time to run.

Drives come with a bunch of remap sectors that will be consumed before a chkdsk shows anything. You need something that will check SMART stats for the drive to see if its remapping (failing) or look through the event log to see if there is an indicator of disk access errors.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Fragmentation kills throughput because the data layout isn't working with the disk geometry, you're talking about a couple extra ms as the head jumps to a new location on the platter compounded over thousands of operations. It's not enough to cause full-on stalls which are more often a symptom hardware issues but it will negatively impact performance.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

djssniper posted:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH247287.html

Mine got disabled had to use the patch on HP's website

That's just the system tray hotkey poller, not the driver itself. Won't stop sounds from working.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Arivia posted:

System Builder licenses were equivalent to OEM licenses, just for small mom and pop shops. That’s not a full license and is tied to the hardware it was bought with.

EU laws allow those to be transferrable which is why they always seem to come out of there. No idea if licenses imported to the US will actually hold up though.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

To answer your question, no. Batch scripts to do not have a native way of sleeping for a specified interval. The wait/sleep command was part of a resource kit thing that distributed with 2003 but was optional. Pings default to 1s interval and the typical solution is to ping localhost -n [x] for however many seconds you need.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Is Dell still using BTX? They were on that for quite a while while everybody else gave up on it and I thought that was why the connector was different.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Shame btx never caught on. That's a pimp case too.

The layout redesign of BTX assumed the memory controller was going to stay on the Northbridge. When it moved on to the CPU die, it freed up a lot of space to work with and the needs it was accommodating sorta became irrelevant. But yeah, I miss it. At least OEM ATX case designs got better after the BTX shakeup. gently caress those clamshell Dells

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have an old Lian Li V1000 like that. It's a shame it doesn't fit decent length modern PSU's, or I'd still be using it.
The build quality is crazy good.

I just cut that one bracket out of the middle and modern ones fit ok

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I should get some snips and a fine file and do that. Are you using that case now?

Yeah, I love it and will go through any necessary nonsense to keep it running when I upgrade from this 2500k

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Would it be an easier fix to virtualize a W10 instance on my fileserver that could serve stuff on the local network via the normal mechanism? Anything in particular I would have to do to make it visible, apart from the usual Windows Update settings?

(I purge update files relatively quickly using the disk cleanup tool, because I don't have hundreds of GBs to burn on my SSDs, but as long as it's on a spinning disk then whatever.)

Why not just use the P2P update topology that's already built in to the OS? The inbound files should be staggered enough that you won't get the same content pulling down at the same time unless manually triggering updates at the same time on each system.

If you're dead-set on it, you can point your Pro clients at the WSUS mirror through a local policy without domain enrolling them. But you're still probably in CAL-HELL at that point.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 18, 2017

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

What's the current best practice for splitting some of Windows' system folders across disks? I want the OS on C:\ (an SSD, of course), but user accounts on E:\ (an HDD). I'd like programs to go on either drive (stuff I use a lot on C:\ and less-used stuff on E:\), but I think that should be easy enough by just specifying the install location for each program in its wizard. After searching for docs on how to do this, I found that there are lots of good ways to gently caress up your computer if you do this wrong, hence this post.

I did this like 6 years ago on my current computer, but I have no idea what it is that I actually, you know, did.

If this is a single-user system, repoint specific folders like Downloads/Music/Videos to that other drive but don't attempt to repoint C:\Users it is a lesson in pain

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Digirat posted:

Does windows 10 not list security updates in its update history? I kept automatic updates delayed as much as possible but just manually updated, and windows update now says I'm up to date. However I'm not seeing any recent security updates there except an old flash player one. the meltdown/spectre updates are not there.

This was technical a new build and yeah it doesn't consistently list in the windows update history. You can see it in the legacy "installed updates" view in the control panel.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

astral posted:

What? I'm still on regular CU but

Might be an SCCM thing in my case, but that same view does not list the KB on my test VM despite having the patch. Legacy control panel lists it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

If I remember right I had to strip out all the bundled Appx stuff before sysprep would run correctly, but that was back on 1511 or something and I figured it would be fixed by now.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

It's probably still an AV conflict. What's your Win10 build number?

e: Might also be a warning that your BIOS doesn't mitigate spectre if MS is getting clever.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

How do you view a stoplog in Windows 10? Or more to the point how do I find out what caused my system to crash so badly it had to restart

Give this a shot: http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=Analyze

If its a full dump and not a mini dump then you'll probably need to zip it. Hopefully its under the file size limit.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Check if your build number is 16299.192 or if KB4056892 is installed.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Nope and nope. I'm on 16299.19 and that KB is not installed. Tried to manually install and no go.

You can manually download the KB off the MS catalog site. Give that a shot https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

No, MS is still rolling the KB it's hardware vendors that are withdrawing the BIOS/microcode update because of compatibility issues with some processors.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Thx for the info guys. Worked like a charm. My storage drive is still MBR though, does it matter?

It's using the old partitioning style with a limit of 4 primary partitions and then however many extended inside of those (probably doesn't matter for you). I believe secure boot requires GPT and that's a good feature that you should be using now that you're in UEFI mode. There are some free tools to convert an MBR disk to GPT, I don't think windows can do it natively.

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/convert-mbr-to-gpt-during-windows-installation.html

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

It can. In Disk Management, gotten to by right-clicking This PC and choosing Manage:

For me it says "Convert to MBR Disk" because I'm already on GPT, but they'll be switched in the other situation.

But... yeah, I don't know that there's much of a benefit for a storage drive with only one partition.

Ah, I thought it was the OS drive. Yeah just convert it on the fly in disk manager.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Correct, the pin unlocks the TPM which releases the drive encryption key. If you are using pre-boot protection then other mechanisms like firmware/bootloader/whatever fingerprints are also checked before/in place of the pin.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Truga posted:

I remember about a decade ago I worked at a java shop that switched to nod32, and nod32 insisted on extracting and scanning every single jar file every time it got accessed.

cue users going "why is idea suddenly taking 6 minutes to open my projects???" :v:

Your IT people deployed it wrong. It fingerprints files and only scans them once unless they have changed or the definitions changed. That's standard behavior for pretty much any AV these days.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

CubanMissile posted:

I fail to understand the benefits of "S Mode" and why Microsoft seems to think users will prefer it.

I could see it appealing to schools. Windows biggest liability is its ability to run arbitrary code without any appreciable kind of sandboxing or containerization, S solves most of that. You then have to content that you've basically created an iPad at that point so you're going to need to fight with Apple there on price point and features but I can see some kind of market for it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Microsoft pushing S-mode and their app platform before they give devs an easy way to migrate existing codebases written in obj-c is going to yet again doom it to obscurity

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Ruflux posted:

Ah, the good old days of playing Perfect Dark with Project64 on a school computer with an awful mouse and keyboard. I'd say taking that away from kids is a crime but then again even my shithole school had locked down their PCs pretty well by that time (I just found a stash of goodies installed locally) and it's not like kids these days give a gently caress about computers or Nintendo 64 games, so I have to agree, S Mode makes perfect sense for schools. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure most educational software is still from like the 90s or something so that'll likely be a problem.

RemoteApp stuff and two Remote Desktop Services servers will get all that stuff running without a huge amount of fuss or expense assuming your infrastructure can support it. Even marginally lovely wifi should be able to handle it now that they've optimized the RDP protocols with RemoteFX and h.264 support.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Camtasia is good

https://www.techsmith.com/video-editor.html

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Palladium posted:

I like how I explicitly disabled automatic driver updates and Win 10 still prompts me to install them anyway because reasons.

Driver updates can have security content and may be packaged as so, would probably override that setting

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

This is awesome for desktops, you just put it in hibernation and it does not consume any power whatsoever.

A desktop in hibernate will consume pretty much the same amount of power as one in sleep S3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

isndl posted:

I mean, S3 is still very low power usage because most of the hardware is shut down, but it's still more than zero. :shrug:

Get a plug meter and look at what its consuming in S4 or S5. Depending on the mobo config it will read 0-3W which will mean fuckall to your power bill and s3 will be 1-3W.