Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Carrying over from the old thread, with regard to:

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Augh. FINALLY got out of BIOS boot loop, using a properly formatted USB drive. Took a couple more hours sourcing all the drivers from the ASUS site to get most things up and running (wifi, audio drivers, etc). Started Ninite-ing everything in on this fresh clean install annnnnnnd...

Asus T200, OEM 8.1, Installed 10 from Microsoft site, and it hits me up for a product key when I try to change my background. "You need to activate your copy of windows before you can personallize your PC."

Easy enough, I download and fire up produkey and get my 8.1 key from C:\Windows.old\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE.

Error code: 0xC004C003
The Activation server determined the specified product key has been blocked

:sigh:

Researching this, apparently I'm going to have to reinstall 8.1 (how, exactly?) then wait again for win 10 to want to download, THEN reset the machine yet again.

Or, call Windows activation center and have them tell me the same thing.

Any other ideas?

and the suggestion:

Shumagorath posted:

If you call in you can most likely get a fix. I had Microsoft send me an entirely new Vista license when we lost the Dell disc for my brother's laptop and his OS was completely beyond live repair.

I called Microsoft and read the Absurdly Long String of Numbers at the robot, I was promptly connected with a nice lady and the following exchange occurred:

What product are you calling about?
-Windows 10

How can I help you?
-My copy of windows 10 asks me to activate despite having a valid copy of 8.1

OK. You need to wait 24 - 48 hours and the Activate Windows prompt in the corner of your screen will go away. Then you will be activated.
-So there is nothing wrong with my installation of Windows 10?

No Sir.
-Uhhhhhh okayyyyyyy Thank you.

I rather suspect I'll be calling them back in 48 hours with the same problem. Or, is the 9 groups of numbers I read to the machine a kind of serial number for my case, and it popped up on her CRM and said "processing this dudes activation, tell him to chill."?

And if they know that, why couldn't they just push activation from that point?

Ooooor more likely this is the tier 1 flip card, the equivalent of "ok, I'd like you to reboot your machine, please?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU