Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I ordered a new SSD to stick Win10 on. If I use my Win7 key and upgrade, then stow the new drive for a while, will I be able to continue using Win 7 or will it somehow deactivate the win7 install? I want to use 7 for a while longer, but want the free 10 upgrade to use at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Awesome, thanks. It's less apprehension about Win 10 and more dealing with an especially old and crufty win7 install.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Trip report: new 850 EVO arrived and installed Win 10 clean from USB- only issue was a required BIOS update, but otherwise pretty flawless.

They sure do like to have tiny text for customizing the privacy settings at install, though.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Arsten posted:

If you have privacy, they get less money. Why do you hate Microsoft when they gave you this operating system for free?

I don't hate Microsoft. If they're going to give you the option to turn that stuff off, they shouldn't make it difficult or more obscure though. All that does is irritate people who care about it. There will be plenty of people who will choose the express install and allow that fully. Or don't let people turn it off and be upfront about what it does. But this squirmy half-assed stuff just makes it look more suspicious. Just like the whole thing with updating people's systems without them specifically selecting it.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Segmentation Fault posted:

lmao if you use windows 10, just lol

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I don't care about the telemetry stuff, really. It is dumb that they push all these updates automatically when any good computer user knows not to install OS patches the instant they come out for the reasons that are evidenced in this thread.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I shoved win10 on a new drive that I put in a drawer a year ago and continued using win7. If I decide to go back and use it at some point am I gonna have to install all these major updates individually or do they have one big roll-up package?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It's been about three years since 10 came out. Is there any compelling reason to move to it from 7 yet? What's the deal with the data collection stuff?