Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I did the free upgrade to 10 and now I'm getting BSOD with the message memory_management. Never happened before with 8.1. I did some searching online and found some forum posts where users had the same issue, but do any of you know if there's a decent article out there somewhere on this topic and why it's happening to me now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

mike12345 posted:

Lol is this really happening? I'm speechless.

Yep, I just opened my start menu after your post and there it is.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

On the store tile, when you search, or elsewhere? I don't see it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

So it installed itself or did you just clean install/upgrade/update and it was there? I mean, I guess it's like the built in games but jeez, that's annoying. Candy Crush of all things.

I just did my free upgrade on Friday, and it's there. Never had candy crush on this machine. Also never had skype or twitter.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

The Milkman posted:

It's just an ad for it. If you click it it takes you to the store to download it.

I think I'd rather have them install some dumb game I could later remove than provide advertising space inside my OS. Does Apple do this with their OS or is Windows blazing trails here?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

fishmech posted:

Uh, why do you think for the past 20 years computers came with a whole bunch of random poo poo installed? It makes money for OEMs and Microsoft.

Lol I've been building my computers for so long and doing clean OS installs I forgot about all that poo poo that used to ship with manufactured computers.

But that at least wasn't screen real estate devoted to ads for poo poo.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

wormil posted:

Right click on the suggestion/ad and choose never show suggestions.

I just did that over candy crush, and it turns out it was installed after all, I had an option to uninstall the app and its associated data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I did the free upgrade to Win 10, and less than a week later I'm sitting here having to troubleshoot a non-functional computer. Worst case scenario is that the motherboard has failed and I have to replace it.

Does this mean I just wasted my Win 10 free upgrade or will someone at Microsoft help me out since I still have the original Win8 license and I'm within 30 days of the upgrade?