Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Lum posted:

I have found out how to add the recycle bin to the quick access panel in explorer. This is great for people who prefer to hide desktop icons.
Honestly not trolling, but aren't like, everyone?, using shift+delete which bypasses the recycle bin and just deletes the file immediately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

How long should I let 10 sit at the "getting ready" step during an install before I decide something happened?
If you need to ask this question, something is probably wrong. I installed on an SSD from win7 in less than 30 minutes from desktop to desktop.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Doesn't the "notify" setting still just start a countdown if you're not at the machine to respond?
Yeah usually it'll set it the next night. For example, I just checked and I'm having updates in the queue now and it has automatically scheduled a restart at 02:30 tonight.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Ambaire posted:

As a gamer and programmer, is Windows 10 worth the (free) upgrade? I've been using Windows 7 Pro 64bit ever since it came out, I'm getting a brand new computer system soon, and I intend to just keep using the same OS since I don't see a reason to upgrade. As a power user, the previews I've seen of the 10 start screen thing don't look very user friendly.
Reasons to upgrade to 10:
1. It's going to be great. It isn't right now, but it will be.
2. When #1 happens, it won't be like the Win7 you know and love (things having been moved around, some new stuff, some changes ... The usual).
3. You like to have the latest and "greatest".

Reasons not to:
1. Things might not work due to missing drivers.
2. The graphics drivers situation is at best "it kinda works, it says the graphics drivers are crashing now and then but I don't really notice it much" at one end of the scale and nigh unusable at the other.
3. Things are fragmented. The new control panel is, as it stands today, just terrible. Half of the things you expect to find there are there, the others are in the old control panel (same as win7).

I've upgraded and having a decent experience, others not so much. I don't mind the problems, but unless you're willing to be frustrated, just stick with 7 for another 6 months. You can always upgrade by then.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Does anyone else's start menu just stop working at seemingly random times? Happened a few times to me by now; pressing win or using the mouse to press it renders nothing, it's as if it wasn't there. Solved by restarting afaik, didn't try to log out/in yet.

Edit: logging out/in fixes it too.

Marinmo fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 13, 2015

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

pwnyXpress posted:

Just restarted for updates and now I'm getting some strange flickering on my lenovo y50 screen like my refresh rate is off. Giving me a headache. Any ideas or known problems before I waste time trying to figure things out instead of studying for my exam tomorrow?
Have the same problem+more since I installed the latest update. Now sometimes my computer won't wake up from sleep, and the screen randomly just blanks - the screen is still on but there's no picture and the only thing one can do is push the reset-button, which makes it restart, boot into loading windows but as the OS is actually starting it reboots again. I'm suspecting it has something to do with Nvidia drivers but don't really know. Fun times.

(Double) Edit:
Uninstalled one of the Nov 11 updates and now Windows Photo Viewer only handles .tiff and the default action for jpg files is to edit them. What the gently caress is wrong with MS sometimes? - Starting the trusted windows store app Photos made it the default for viewing jpgs again. Hooray I guess?

Marinmo fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 12, 2015

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Cheesus posted:

The latter.

Goddammit.
Afaik the only way to get rid of it safely is to use the disk clean-up tool. 19GB for me. It's basically re-installing Windows.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

robodex posted:

What's wrong with shutting your computer down at the end of the night? I have an SSD so mine boots in about 10 seconds, I don't see a point keeping it on when I'm not using it.
Why not just set it to hibernate after 10 minutes or whatever floats your boat? For me it's perfect; I'm a forgetful sob, either I'd forget to turn it off or I'd forget to turn it on in the morning before I make breakfast (when I eat breakfast, I don't want to wait even 10 seconds for the satisfaction of enjoying my first meal of the day :colbert:).

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Kairos posted:

Is there any meaningful difference in how "clean" the result is between using the Refresh option and doing a traditional scorched earth nuke-and-reinstall? By which I mean not counting your personal files remaining in place, just things that could impact the system.
I first upgraded and then did a clean install (changed SSDs), and all the fresh install got me was Cortana and Candy Crush Soda Saga (I'm not making the latter name up). 0/10.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

After installing clean, my USB ports won't detect any peripherals connected to them w/o replugging said peripherals when the computer wakes from sleep. The computer turns on (wakes from sleep) if I press a key on the keyboard, but once the lock-screen is shown the keyboard and mouse seems to be without power. Re-plugging the device(s) makes them work again. I disabled selective USB suspend in the power plan of Windows, but to no avail. Before installing clean I had an upgraded installation (7->10) which didn't have this problem. I'm at a loss, anyone?

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Phoenixan posted:

I've had this issue before and turning off the fast startup option fixed all of it. It's buried under the power settings.
Did both this and install the INF-updater from Intel (there is none for win10 so I used the win8.1 one), but to no avail. I think I've tried all USB-ports but I guess I'll have a go at it again, otherwise I'm back to square 1 I guess :arghfist:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

SinineSiil posted:

Does Win 10 also have issue with not waking up from sleep by mouse/keyboard input? Or is it my new laptop's fault instead?
Yes. Both my desktop and laptop suffers from this - on the desktop I've narrowed it down to USB-ports not getting power while the computer sleeps for some unfathomable reason (turned everything related to "on" when it comes to power + installed all relevant drivers, yet only 2 USB ports seems to power and one of them seems dead ... ?). The laptop was a simple fix; just install the synaptics drivers from the vendor and I was pretty much good to go.